When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An old friend renewed

sssurfer

I have always been in love with PAMs with 1950 case (especially for the domed crystal) and gold hands, but I always wanted a seconds hand and date too, and I prefer 44mm models.

So at first I put gold hands on a 144, I already posted it here.

A decent start, still I wanted something more.

Now I took another step forward, by adding a domed crystal and a nice and very comfortable strap (kind courtesy of dadog13 -- thanks, Vlad!).

Here is the result.

Front view:

1041yf7.jpg

A little right and left view, to better show the domed crystal:

1042so9.jpg

1043to8.jpg

A shot pointed at the date window. It came out a little out of focus, apologies, still it is good enough to show that the date font is crappy (to be fixed soon, thanks to archibald!), but the date readability is decent:

1044nr1.jpg

Unavoidable wristshot:

1045ry6.jpg

And, last but not least, a shot of the strap by dadog13. I am very happy with it and I especially love the one-hole-only thing, that makes me feel the strap exclusively of mine:

1046xv6.jpg

In the end, I love this project at the point that I am now even considering to get a mini fiddy just to take its case, crystal (current crystal is plexi) and hands. I would put in the movement, dial and cyclops. What would you think?

Thanks for looking,

:sss:

1041yf7.jpg

:wub::clap2: :clap2:

Have you been working on this project since May, when you finished the other 104? (I think you misstyped 144 above).

In the end, I love this project at the point that I am now even considering to get a mini fiddy just to take its case, crystal (current crystal is plexi) and hands. I would put in the movement, dial and cyclops. What would you think?

Go for it! I don't like my own Mini-Fiddy (my first ever PAM from Paul, do you remember how much advice you gave me way back on 4th of July, Sssurfer?), and never wear it.

minifiddybuddy1ww5.jpg

But given the results I've seen above, you would possibly have one of the best Mini-Fiddies around! Love the strap, BTW. Dadog13 is to be commended!

Thanks for your interest, appreciation and encouragement, Vicky. And for another thing too. Actually, even if you did not know, you played a crucial role in the development of this project.

After about a year since May 2006 when the 1st version was ready, I was feeling a little bored with it. The mini fiddy option had not yet come to my mind. I have even been on the edge to sell the watch.

Then your unfortunate experience with the miny fiddy brought my attention to that watch. I began thinking that a mini fiddy look might complement the watch nicely. Just, considering your experience, I was not willing to waste my money on a mini fiddy before having any clue about how the final look with a domed crystal might be.

So I decided to preliminarly have a test on how much a domed crystal would add to the watch look.

It took some time to find a source for a domed crystal fitting a 44mm case (cousinsuk), a little more time (three orders) to find which diameter was correct (36.2mm), a little more time to select a correct cyclops, and some more time again, and three crystals wasted, to learn about the differences between plexi and glass/sapphire in glueing the cyclops.

In the end, almost a year and half after the 1st version, the 2nd version is ready and the result is encouraging, I feel.

So the project is alive and running again.

Thanks to you, Vicky!

P.S.: that minifiddy / grasshopper combo is exceptional. It makes me wonder if I could use a grosshopper too on this project... :g:

Thanks for your interest, appreciation and encouragement, Vicky. And for another thing too. Actually, even if you did not know, you played a crucial role in the development of this project.

Io?? ;)

I'm stunned, but happily so.

After about a year since May 2006 when the 1st version was ready, I was feeling a little bored with it. The mini fiddy option had not yet come to my mind. I have even been on the edge to sell the watch.

Why is it that the most time spent achieving/receiving something, means almost instant boredom immediately afterwards?

It's a human curiosity.

Then your unfortunate experience with the miny fiddy brought my attention to that watch. I began thinking that a mini fiddy look might complement the watch nicely. Just, considering your experience, I was not willing to waste my money on a mini fiddy before having any clue about how the final look with a domed crystal might be.

Intriguing. I wonder how many of us influence each other, in various ways here? If only we would say!

So I decided to preliminarly have a test on how much a domed crystal would add to the watch look.

It took some time to find a source for a domed crystal fitting a 44mm case (cousinsuk), a little more time (three orders) to find which diameter was correct (36.2mm), a little more time to select a correct cyclops, and some more time again, and three crystals wasted, to learn about the differences between plexi and glass/sapphire in glueing the cyclops.

Sssurfer, may I confess to you and others now that I had no idea one had to glue a cyclops to the crystal? I simply thought they came 'cured' that way, in the firing of the glass process.

In the end, almost a year and half after the 1st version, the 2nd version is ready and the result is encouraging, I feel.

So the project is alive and running again.

Thanks to you, Vicky!

:1a:

Amazing time spent on a project. You have endless patience, my dear Sssurfer. I don't have what it takes to be a self-modder, but I have loads of respect for those who are. :)

(And thanks! I will look up this cousinsuk person)

P.S.: that minifiddy / grasshopper combo is exceptional. It makes me wonder if I could use a grosshopper too on this project... :g:

No. Too gay. :lol:

P.S.: If only you knew how scared I was of grasshoppers growing up, given your profession, you would be proud of me for taking that close-up.

Why is it that the most time spent achieving/receiving something, means almost instant boredom immediately afterwards?

It's a human curiosity.

Surely making no sin of excessive originality, I suppose it has something to do with the human curiosity and compulsion to explore. Once and as soon as a territory is explored and known, we seem irresistibly attracted by whatever is beyond...

I wonder how many of us influence each other, in various ways here? If only we would say!

Exactly my thoughts when I was typing the whole story.

It's a pity that a forum, even if a great thing, cuts out 90% of possible interactions.

Fortunately it looks as the two of us are doing their best to put limits under pressure. :lol:

Sssurfer, may I confess to you and others now that I had no idea one had to glue a cyclops to the crystal? I simply thought they came 'cured' that way, in the firing of the glass process.

:lol:

Anyway, you are even correct on some sapphire crystals (as I learnt at my own expense when I tried to remove the cyclops :black_eye:).

Amazing time spent on a project. You have endless patience, my dear Sssurfer.

I have to admit that the rep thing tought me patience much more than the zen thing, as you call it ;)

I don't have what it takes to be a self-modder

Good. A modder woman would look a bit gay. :lol:

I will look up this cousinsuk person

www.cousinsuk.com

But essentially useless to non-modders.

P.S.: If only you knew how scared I was of grasshoppers growing up, given your profession, you would be proud of me for taking that close-up.

I have to say that that issue hit my mind while looking at the pic. Congrats!

What about a praying mantis? :spiteful:

sssurfer..the watch is really beautiful and unique...I didn't even realize that my strap can look so good...I am proud that a great looking watch is partially due to my strap ;)

compliments and wear it well!

Edited by dadog13