When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seller Liability

Hi everyone. I was wondering what eveyone's opinions were on this topic. There are two different scenarios:

# 1. A dealer sells you a new watch. How long of a "warranty" do you expect to have on it? IE: if it stops working after 2 days, you obviously expect a replacement, but what about after 1 month? 2 months? 3 months? How long should the seller be liable for replacing or repairing your watch? What is fair?

# 2. You buy a used watch on this or another board. It stops working after 2 weeks. Do you expect some kind of refund or return? So you expect any grace period at all with a used watch? Are you going to file a complaint with paypal? What kind of liability do you expect the seller to assume?

looking forward to hearing what people have to say about this.

Ok good and difficult questions.

First up anyone who files a PP complaint against any seller be it dealer or a member, without solid proof that this seller has deliberately scammed you is an utter fool who cares very little for the welfare of our hobby and is only concerned about Uno Ono.

I wont try and answer the questions, I do believe there is going to be a lot of debate on exactly how long after receiving the watch we expect to have this imaginary warranty to last, but the opinions are going to be interesting..............one member got a new watch after a 3 month period to my memory.

Ken

Alright

I'll throw my 2 cents on in.

1. Dealers - I expect them to warranty the item as long as they say they will. Andrew warranties his watches for 3 months, so if it breaks in two, I expect him to have it repaired or cut me a break on my next purchase for my out of pocket expenses. If I don't ask before purchase, then I'd assume they will swap a DOA watch no problems. If I don't ask and it breaks in a month then I'd ask for a repair or compensation for my out of pockets again. If they refused then I just wouldn't buy from them again, afterall why should I when Andrew will warranty them under the same circumstances? I'll simply take my business to him!

Bottom line on dealers. I think 3 months is reasonable, as long as the watch doesn't appear abused.

2. Members - I'm not sure what to say on this situation. I've thought of this myself. Though it sucks to send a perfectly good watch to someone and receive that dreadful email that it arrived DOA, I wouldn't want to get stuck with a broken watch either. So I think its only proper to offer a refund once you receive the watch back. Yeah I know it sucks, but KARMA can be a bi*ch :bicycle: . Now you buy a watch from a member, it arrives working and quits in a couple weeks/month then sorry but take it to your watchsmith. I mean, YOU BOUGHT A USED WATCH, which means you saved $$$ so suck it up and have it fixed.

Bottom line on members. Don't want to sound like my mom but "treat others as you would like to be treated". Watch arrives DOA - have it returned, inspect, and offer refund. Watch quits in a month, "sorry bud, but you can take it and have it fixed."

Alright there's my 2 cents.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Jon

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention. Complain to Paypal -------> YOU SUCK! If I've offered to take care of you, why would you do that? If you've emailed 50,000 times in a 24 hour period and I haven't responded-----------> give it another 24 hours. God! I hate people who do this. Paypal won't protect you if I provide shipping information! Don't get me wrong if you've been scammed its nice to get your money back, but don't jump the freaking gun.

Edited by Bignasty

Hi everyone. I was wondering what eveyone's opinions were on this topic. There are two different scenarios:

# 1. A dealer sells you a new watch. How long of a "warranty" do you expect to have on it? IE: if it stops working after 2 days, you obviously expect a replacement, but what about after 1 month? 2 months? 3 months? How long should the seller be liable for replacing or repairing your watch? What is fair?

# 2. You buy a used watch on this or another board. It stops working after 2 weeks. Do you expect some kind of refund or return? So you expect any grace period at all with a used watch? Are you going to file a complaint with paypal? What kind of liability do you expect the seller to assume?

I'll take a "stab" at this.....

1)I figure if it hasn't quit in a month, it "should" be OK. then again, I don't go for the high $$$ stuff either. here's my experience....although I do buy quite a few watches overseas when I am on travel, I have bought a few from dealers and members on the board(s). I did have a "modified" asian auto GMT go bad in a week and I did contact the seller for what to do. he did offer up a replacement in the next shippment but he got into legal troubles about the same time the shipment arrived. Oh well, I wrote it off and took it overseas with me to get it fixed. About a year later the seller resurfaced and did go out of his way to contact me to find out what he could to do "make it right". In my book, just the effort and the offer was good enough. heck, it was a $75 watch, I sure as heck was not going to drag him through hades for another watch. I got no clue what my feelings are if I spent big $$$ on a rep. In light of the fact that we are dealing with contraband, the less attention from outside sources is good for me. If you bought a baggie of bad weed, would you call the cops to report the sale of bad pot? Rep watches are no different.

2)Once again, it really depends of the amount of money spent and the attitude of the seller. I wouldn't be putting down the large $$$ on contraband especially on the secondary market.

First, if the aggrieved party files a PayPal complaint against the dealer, other than in cases of outright abuse, they are a common fookwit.

Dealers should absorb certain losses, depending on the watch. If I buy a solid gold Casablanca, I expect to be treated different than if I buy a 99 Rolex. I don't see rules and guidelines as being plausible - just common sense fairness. My Dealers seem to have no trouble with that concept.

As for private sales, if it works on arrival it's yours - if not, it's theirs.

Bill

I tend to agree with most of you. Luckily I've never had a paypal complaint, but I thought about this topic because I recently sold a used 7750 Arktos to someone (outside this board) and he said that it stopped working after 2 days. I felt guilty, but then I thought; hey what if this guy dropped it on the ground or messed with the movement? It's impossible to tell I guess! He ended up taking it to his watch repair shop and it turned out that the movement was bone dry and just needed to be oiled.

I tend to agree with most of you. Luckily I've never had a paypal complaint, but I thought about this topic because I recently sold a used 7750 Arktos to someone (outside this board) and he said that it stopped working after 2 days. I felt guilty, but then I thought; hey what if this guy dropped it on the ground or messed with the movement? It's impossible to tell I guess! He ended up taking it to his watch repair shop and it turned out that the movement was bone dry and just needed to be oiled.

Yeah its a tough call. I guess I feel like dealers can absorb these costs much more than your average collector. Though I do feel like if I buy/sell a watch from/to a member and it arrives DOA something should be done. I agree with you though. It arrives working and quits after a couple days there are numerous things that could have happened. Not only could it be dropped but he/she could have also opened the watch up and tried to mod it! :brow:

Jon