When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The One And Only Ziggified Honpo 7753 187

Watchmeister

At long last the infamous 7753 187 is complete. As usual big thanks to Ziggy. This one started as a base 7750 Honpo, the guts of a Panda daylight I was cannibalizing for parts on another project, the dial from the new poorly proportioned 7753 187 and a spare case.

I cannot imagine what he actually had to do to fit the different movement into the case but I can tell you that aesthetically it included removing the markers off the original case, rebrushing the case and replacing with the markers from the spare case. I had, of course, ruined the markers on my original case by over-polishing. For those who were curious, the markers are in fact made of copper and are neither glued nor screwed in. They are pressure fit into perfectly formed holes And that what makes a Honpo a Honpo. Needless to say it is relumed. In tritium of course - ;) And yes I know I have to flip around the CG :rolleyes:

The pics are on page 2.

this is a beauty...congrats to the modder and to the owner...I still wonder why they didn't make a good version with the 7753 movement...I bet you are the only one that bought it from King...this is the prove that they could have done it properly...

Looks good! What's up with the CG being inverted?

It's called using a watchmaker who can only specialize in so many things...meaning I can never figure out what direction to put these CG's on...handwinds up, auto's down...but not on all models...

Of course everyone else knows how the CG goes on but me, but then again, I have the breakdown of every movement and the assembly procedures, and oiling charts, and specs locked in my memory banks. I guess there is no room left for anything else. :)

And yes, the "T SWISS T" did get cut off, as I had to modify the dial to get it to fit into this case. As with the CG, I never noticed this, since there was no choice on how to assemble the dial and bezel ring.

We'll come up with a solution to that issue, maybe cover it up, or something else...fix one item, create another one to correct.

RG

Looks awesome Kruz. I'm wearing my 187 today. When I get around to it I'm going to send it off to The Zigmeister for a relume.

My question is: Is there a way of raising the movement so the date is closer to the window? Maybe the back of the dial can be "thinned" to make the date closer?

I love the watch but can't see dropping a $300 movement in it to make it right.

Thanks for sharing your masterpiece from the master.

It's called using a watchmaker who can only specialize in so many things...meaning I can never figure out what direction to put these CG's on...handwinds up, auto's down...but not on all models...

Of course everyone else knows how the CG goes on but me, but then again, I have the breakdown of every movement and the assembly procedures, and oiling charts, and specs locked in my memory banks. I guess there is no room left for anything else. :)

And yes, the "T SWISS T" did get cut off, as I had to modify the dial to get it to fit into this case. As with the CG, I never noticed this, since there was no choice on how to assemble the dial and bezel ring.

We'll come up with a solution to that issue, maybe cover it up, or something else...fix one item, create another one to correct.

RG

R - An amazing job once again here. Crown guard shmown guard... Making a 7753 Honpo 187 is far more than anyone else on the forum could do. Bravo!!

Looks awesome Kruz. I'm wearing my 187 today. When I get around to it I'm going to send it off to Ziggy for a relume.

My question is: Is there a way of raising the movement so the date is closer to the window? Maybe the back of the dial can be "thinned" to make the date closer?

Not with a Asian 7750 as the engine, it can't be done.

I love the watch but can't see dropping a $300 movement in it to make it right.

I think $300 for a ETA 7753 would be a steal, they are at least double that price if not more nowdays. This is a ETA7753, not a 7750 (which tends to be lower priced).

RG

Rob I was just giveing you a shot! I can never remember which way they go either. Nice work on this project!

Not a problem...now let me think...what can I do to YOUR watch next time it passes throught the shop...he he he...the evil mind of a watchmaker...there is always a way... :)

You would think it would be simple to remember the orientation of a CG, but I can't keep it straight.

It turned out great in the end, I just have to paint over the cut off T Swiss T.

RG

Not with a Asian 7750 as the engine, it can't be done.

RG

First off, nice timepeice! Wear it in good health!

And The Zigmeister, just thinking out loud, and only you would know as I've never looked at one of those movements, but is it possible to replace the date disc to bring it closer to the dial?

The 2824-2 and 2892-2 are flat date discs, but you can interchange a date disc from a 2834-2,2836-2, or 2846 which are raised. Is there a raised date disc that can be swapped? If there is, that would probably solve the problem. Or perhaps a date disc overlay could be fixed to raise it closer to the dial?

First off, nice timepeice! Wear it in good health!

And Ziggy, just thinking out loud, and only you would know as I've never looked at one of those movements, but is it possible to replace the date disc to bring it closer to the dial?

The 2824-2 and 2892-2 are flat date discs, but you can interchange a date disc from a 2834-2,2836-2, or 2846 which are raised. Is there a raised date disc that can be swapped? If there is, that would probably solve the problem. Or perhaps a date disc overlay could be fixed to raise it closer to the dial?

Impossible to move the date disk closer to the dial on the modified Asian 7750(3).

The three transfer gears for the 30 minute subdial are above the datewheel, you can't move it up, since the gears are in the way...

Date disks are not interchangeable between movement calipers, they are all unique.

RG

• 5 months later...