When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me Decide: UPO or SMP

namjah

I know these watches were talked to death but just wanted to get people's opinion on which watch they perferred. Even better will be people that own both :D

UPO

2379-7539.jpg

VS

SMP

2379-7540.jpg

Hard choice but I can only get one of them for now. Pictures were taken from By-tor's guide. Thanks

I have both and prefer the 4th generation PO to both of them. However, if I had to choose between the SMP and UPO, I'd take the SMP. The UPO is a fantastic rep, but I'm a decent sized guy (6'5", 240lbs) and the size is a bit awkward for me. Something about the dimensions just don't feel right. Just my opinion...YMMV, of course.

I have to say that the SMP is one of the most comfortable watches. The UPO will take some time getting used to the size and weight of it. I would lean toward the SMP since I wear mine more than the UPO.

Not sure if size is that big of an issue since I have the SFSO and it should be somewhat similar.

i have the UPO and my father wears his Gen SMP everyday. The SMP is very comfortable and the UPO is big and heavy. it all depends on what you're style is or what you're wearing it with.

i love the UPO and wear it with pretty much everything but my work clothes. it is nearly impossible to get that watch under my dress shirt sleeves. the SMP is much less in total mass so it would be a winner for work. The SMP has a classy feel to it as the UPO feels like a casual Tank.

hope this helps............

cc

I have both and while I agree that the UPO is the more accurate of the two watches the SMP 'feels' good on the wrist. However, mine is from the earlier run with segmented end-links and pins in the bracelet etc. The finish of the case is excellent with the brushed sides being better than the UPO. Also the UPO has a very sharp finish around the bezel unlike the gen. In short, the UPO may be visually the more accurate but the early version SMP has a slinky genuine feel which is rare and difficult to achieve in a rep.

My advice - If you can find an early version SMP buy it in a heartbeat. You can get a UPO all day long.

Edited by PAMman

I'd say UPO as it's my daily beater.

FWIW, I think the size issue, and whether you can wear it with a suit/dress cuffs, is very dependent on your own build. I'm just shy of 6', weigh 210lbs, and my UPO fits comfortably under my shirt sleeve, both button and french cuff; in addition to this, my wrists are 8", so although it is a fairly large watch, it doesn't look ungainly, or out of place.

It's also not as thick as the SOSF, so if you can wear that with shirts/suits, you'll be fine with the UPO :D

prof

UPO ->

+ slightly better built

- huge watch. if you don't have especially big wrists. you may not like it.

SMP ->

+ goes well with any kind of clothing.

- less accurate than upo

For me, Both are MUST-HAVE :)

But anyway, if you don't have problem with oversized watches, I'd go with UPO first.

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like UPO will be the winner. As for the size, I won't worry too much since I like the size of the SFSO and the UPO is similiar. Now who to buy it from... :cc_confused:

One thing I should add is that once you've bought it, go for the double AR coating on the crystal - mine was done recently as part of the run organised by k2222, and it really does make a huge difference to the look of the watch.....much closer to gen.

prof