When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Screwed Up 1665!

Well, live and learn . . . I was trying to replace the crystal on my WM 1665 and found that the retaining ring had been glued down. So, I went about trying to remove the movement/dial assembly so I could press the crystal out. I pressed too far on the crown stem removal button, removed the stem, but now the stem doesn't do anything when I re-insert it. The stem doesn't engage anything when I reinsert and the button appears to have dropped into its hole into the abyss. Crap. There's nothing more for *me* to do at this point, right?

zeiss-

When removing the stem, always be sure to do the following:

-Pull the crown to the time setting position prior to releasing the stem.

-Never use anything smaller than a 1.2mm screwdriver to press the release button.

-Always set the time to 12:00 so that you have a baseline on date changeover in case you remove the hands.

As for resolving the problem of the release button- bazz is correct in that you'll have to remove the hands, dial and datewheel to re-do some of the keyless works. I had to do a similar job on my 6497 when I unthreaded the stem release screw too far...

As an aside- Perhaps you might consider simply replacing the 2836 with a 2846? The 2846 is what I swap into all of my vintage MBW's as it better emulates the slow beat of the Rolex 1570/5 caliber. To me, this is an important mod; the smooth seconds hand sweep of the 28.800bph 2836 is a dead giveaway to these watches...

Best of luck...

Randy

As an aside- Perhaps you might consider simply replacing the 2836 with a 2846? The 2846 is what I swap into all of my vintage MBW's as it better emulates the slow beat of the Rolex 1570/5 caliber. To me, this is an important mod; the smooth seconds hand sweep of the 28.800bph 2836 is a dead giveaway to these watches...Best of luck...Randy

Thanks Randy. That IS a very good idea. Will the 2846 take an oem datewheel? The proper datewheel on the 1665 should be silver background, right?

Thanks Randy. That IS a very good idea. Will the 2846 take an oem datewheel? The proper datewheel on the 1665 should be silver background, right?

you need to have an overlay-datewheel that you can glue on the eta 2846 datewheel. the problem is that there are no accurate overlay-datewheels on the market.

best wishes

Well, the only movements that I know of that will take a genuine datewheel are AS movements, and genuine Rolex calibers. There may be others out there, but I'm not familiar with any others besides the ones mentioned. The reason for this is because of the direction the datewheel rotates. All of the compatible ETAs rotate clockwise, so for a 2846, you'd have to use the overlay that's on your 2836-2. Not a big deal, as there are some genuines which have had replacements using white datewheels and fonts with rounded 3's (not flat-topped). For now, until I can get my AS movements serviced (and figure out how to get everything together), I'm relying on my 2846's to power my most prized MBW's...

you need to have an overlay-datewheel that you can glue on the eta 2846 datewheel. the problem is that there are no accurate overlay-datewheels on the market.

best wishes

yes and the other problem is that the genuine rolex caliber rotates the date counterclockwise and so the datewheel is printed... means if you glue a genuine rlx datewheel on a eta 2836/46 mov, the date rotates in teh wrong direction because on the eta, it rotates clockwise

Edited by palpatine

@ubi

does the a.schild 5206 accept the eta hands? :g:

...and where did you get that nice silver datewhel-overlay... :Jumpy::thumbsupsmileyanim:

best wishes

olreon

Certain AS are 90/150/22, so the hour and minute hands fit fine; the seconds hand has to be reduced to fit properly. The movements I posted have the pinion sizes as such, so there aren't any real problems with fitting hands.

With regards to my datewheels- They are from a genuine Rolex 1570 ;) Very difficult to find, however I came across this pair after a month of searching.

With regards to my datewheels- They are from a genuine Rolex 1570 ;) Very difficult to find, however I came across this pair after a month of searching.

...no, i thought about the one on the eta2846 movement. where did you get this one...

best wishes

olreon

Oh, you mean the silver one in this pic?

58777-35054.jpg

That one was obtained from my usual parts supplier. He had this one mixed in with a batch of white and yellow datewheel overlays he ordered in. Only one he's seen, and the only one he's had since. I know these are out there, somewhere... I believe these are also outfitted on the CN ETA vintage models that Paul has (judging by his pics on his website). I believe that Nanuq has also confirmed this as well ;)

• 1 month later...

Here's a pictorial update on the repair of my lovely Watchmaster 1665. I'm also having some mods done. Tommy (daytona tommy, not palps) sent me some pics of the work in progress. We're still looking for a reasonably priced red letter dial, so if anyone has one please PM me!!

Go Tommy, Go!!!

84486-29680.jpg

Superdome a la Andy

84486-29681.jpg

84486-29682.jpg

OEM insert

84486-29683.jpg

Edited by leitztozeiss

Zeiss-

If you're going white font 1665, you'll want the flat T-39; Superdome is more correct for the DRSD (the white font didn't materialize until the mid 70's). So, if you come across a good condition DR dial, it may be worth some consideration given the scope of your project.