When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

On the operating table

Guest watchbuff

Guest watchbuff

So here we go again. Building a Datejust, by request for a member here.

All the right parts

Gen case, tube, crown, crystal,.

Rep band that I modified from a oyster to a jubilee, clasp transplant.

ETA 2824-2

Of course, the Crown would not insert into the cae tube and the usual filing was in order.

Here is the start point:

1031004vu4.jpg

By watchbuff, shot with DSC-W5 at 2007-10-31

Fitted the cubik datewheel over the ETA one, centered perfectly and moves smoothly.:

1031005kh5.jpg

Hacked off the dial feet on the gen dial (forgive me) for its test fit on the movement and new datewheel.

Attached the dial to the movement:

1031009on0.jpg

While all that was curing, took a break and made the new band from an aftermarket jubilee (good quality) and the rep oyster's clasp as a donor:

1031010kz4.jpg

Here is the caetube post filing and final fit, now it will get it's tube gasket and the movement with dial will meet the case:

1031011ru3.jpg

After a 24 hour function test, the hoand get placed, the dial and movement are placed in the4 case, ( the weight is added here) the stem is cut to size, and attached to the crown. A lost inspection, some lubrication, silicone grease the caseback gasket and seal it all up. Attach the band and off to it's new home. :lol:

I cant wait to get this puppy back keep me updated vince so I can send out your 2nd money order...Im really excited about this watch its gonna be my new daily beater..Really psyched you were able to transplant the clasp from the rep dj onto the jubilee - now I dont have to rush to get myself a gen band - I can get one off ebay when the price is right - other than that it looks great man, the datewheel was a success!

Edited by UB7

Guest watchbuff

Finished product? Rome was not built in a day.

But I do work quick. There is an issue with the crown, no fit no likey. Crown is too large for the tube. There are a few options here but I will confer with the "owner" on that one.

Here is the dial,and movement with the hands set, with stem and crown sized and ready for it's case:

1031001vp8.jpg

Dave, don't forget to send that set of hands, the next one is on the bench waiting for them, I am waiting on a crystal for that as well so this temp donation could speed up you getting your DJ.

Finished product? Rome was not built in a day.

Sorry, I was reading pretty fast and I interpreted that you would be finished after you put the band on. I love the DJ, shows taste class and simplicity all at the same time, hard to pull all of those off together. Good job.

Where did you get the overlay for the datewheel BTW? Donor watch?

Inbox is full vince, call me if you have a sec or msg me..and btw the watch looks amazing im very impressed with your skills

Datewheel is from cubic-works listeve, the only thing used from that donor watch was the clasp from the band, I got that rep dj for like $60 it has the worst datewheel ive ever seen and miyoto movt. its actually quite amusing

Edited by UB7

@Watchbuff... i have a 16200 case with original 6mm crown... and of course it won't fit in the tube. When i asked for another correct tube... i got the same size tube again so the crown didn't fit in again.

Now i see you file the inside of the tube? Do you have a larger o-ring to put inside or is the regular size good as well? If possible i guess i prefer a correct size tube... but i'd like to know how you did this work for when i can't find the correct tube.

Thanx :)

I'm guessing you filed out the case tube as you were installing the old style crown?

Does the old style crown have a thicker part where the stem should be inserted? I just bought a 6mm crown in original rolex package... and it didn't fit... maybe i bought the older version?

Any help is appreciated!!

Yes I just got off the phone with watchbuff and thats apparently exactly the issue yelloman...Seller jewelerstools on eBay has them for 30 bucks including shipping thats your best bet...

edit: after talking with a few people, jewelerstools has apparently sent many wrong crowns to people in the past

Edited by UB7

@Watchbuff... i have a 16200 case with original 6mm crown... and of course it won't fit in the tube. When i asked for another correct tube... i got the same size tube again so the crown didn't fit in again.

Now i see you file the inside of the tube? Do you have a larger o-ring to put inside or is the regular size good as well? If possible i guess i prefer a correct size tube... but i'd like to know how you did this work for when i can't find the correct tube.

Thanx :)

Does the old style crown have a thicker part where the stem should be inserted? I just bought a 6mm crown in original rolex package... and it didn't fit... maybe i bought the older version?

Any help is appreciated!!

The older style crowns are thicker. They are both 6mm, but the new style is made to fit the 5.3mm case tube. Jimmythree on TRC is well schooled in which crown is which and the part numbers needed. For the 16200 case, you will need a 24-603-0 crown. It is 6mm, but it is thinner. The old style crown will not fit in the newer cases, they will only fit in the 160XX case.

You will need a new style crown, and by the looks of it, now a new case tube. The case tube for the 16200 is part number 24-5320. Since it is filed out, there is a good chance it will break apart and will definately not be waterproof.

just remember: old style = thicker stem new style = thinner stem

Guest watchbuff

Ok, the movement has met the case. The gasket is installed and the caseback was screwed down and re-opened and met no blockage or resistance. I think I will wait for the new crown and tube and play it safe. The old crown new crown and tube mismatch's is a pain in the neck. It will be done. These are snowflakes. No 2 are alike but once they are togehther the quality components work well and last as long as you want them to.

I added a few grams of weight to complete the total weigh in, and the weight doubles as a movement holder/ship for the case:

111005lh9.jpg

By watchbuff, shot with DSC-W5 at 2007-11-01

I will post more pics"dial up" I want to make sure all is well in the back before turning it over. I already had to pop the dial and re- set the datewheel from hanging up. This is not unusual but this time it was a quick fix-10 minutes tops. More pics to come.

Guest watchbuff

AS promised, dial side up, wit a loaner crown for now. Just checking to see if it's all tight and tidy. Then off to it's home. The weights are made from lead and they hold the movement/dial in the case along with a dot of permabond to prevent any slipping for any reason.

I test fitted the band and habve to take pics of that and will post here tomorrow.

Always leave them wanting more. ;)

112rr8.jpg

By watchbuff, shot with DSC-W5 at 2007-11-02

Heres some pics with the bracelet on that watchbuff just sent me..Looks amazing i'm super exited about this!! You did an outstanding job the pics dont do just im sure..When I get it back ill take some good pics for everyone

11-6_002-1.jpg

11-2_006-1.jpg

11-2_002-1.jpg

Edited by UB7

Thanks! And you sir are also a great guy - and it has been a pleasure and again I cant thank you enough for taking on this project you did a phenominal job Far exceeded my expectations- For anyone who needs a frankenjust done this is your guy!!

Edited by UB7