When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Question

TeeJay

When abroad, which hands do folks use to track 'local time', and which hand to track 'home time'? Do folks set the main hands to 'local time' (whereever you are), and then when abroad, re-set the main hands accordingly, and use the GMT hand to track 'home time', or do you keep the main hands set on 'home time' and set the GMT hand to track the 'local time'?

I only ask as I've never been abroad with a GMT watch before, and wondered how folks prefered to use the function. :)

The time wherever I am is the most important consideration.... the time elsewhere is secondary. My GMTs are easy enough to reset that resetting the GMT hand is almost as simple as resetting the regular time. Now if I were just dashing across to another time zone for a day or less, say from Pacific to Mountain, I might not bother with resetting the GMT. Otherwise it's a no-brainer, usually as soon as I board a plane. As far as I'm concerned, once I sit down on a plane I readjust to the arrival city time.

The time wherever I am is the most important consideration.... the time elsewhere is secondary. My GMTs are easy enough to reset that resetting the GMT hand is almost as simple as resetting the regular time. Now if I were just dashing across to another time zone for a day or less, say from Pacific to Mountain, I might not bother with resetting the GMT. Otherwise it's a no-brainer, usually as soon as I board a plane. As far as I'm concerned, once I sit down on a plane I readjust to the arrival city time.

Me too. Moment I get on the plane, I set the GMT to the local destination's time.

This actually won me a prize once, on KLM. I was on my way from London to Colombo with two stops, and the stewardess asked us to guess our time of arrival, in LOCAL time.

Mine was closest, and I won a brand new Sport Walkman! :)

Wow, that was a frikkin long time ago...

Thanks for the replys folks :)

Me too. Moment I get on the plane, I set the GMT to the local destination's time.

This actually won me a prize once, on KLM. I was on my way from London to Colombo with two stops, and the stewardess asked us to guess our time of arrival, in LOCAL time.

Mine was closest, and I won a brand new Sport Walkman! :)

Wow, that was a frikkin long time ago...

So you (personally) keep the primary hands on your home timezone and while abroad use the GMT hand for the local time?

I usually prefer to set the main hands at local time of destination or next stop on a flight with layovers. I'll set the GMT to my home time.

I think it's very useful especially when there is a big difference in time from home time and local time. It can get confusing when your watch says one time zone but your body says another time zone.

... and I always travel with 2 watches.... dunno why but it's my habit. One on the wrist and one strapped to my carryon. ^_^

Thanks for the replys folks :)

So you (personally) keep the primary hands on your home timezone and while abroad use the GMT hand for the local time?

I do. Less overall 'switching' involved. But, I do see the merits of easily reading the time using the 'regular' watch hands.