When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 coming together...

predfan2001

Mmmmm... you made me curious as i am also wanting a 5512/5513 very bad!! The case looks superb i must say... not only that the case has a great worn down and aged look... the crown seems to sit in the correct height! Would you please let me know where you got it?

Furthermore i think you aged the bezel just fine... slightly grey-ish... very beautiful!!

And the case passed the test. Overnight submerged and no leaks. The tube was loctited, crystal set in place with GS Hypo crystal cement and all of the o-rings are new and lubed. The bubbles seen are just from trapped air pockets under the bezel and in the end links.

S6300565.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Mmmmm... you made me curious as i am also wanting a 5512/5513 very bad!! The case looks superb i must say... not only that the case has a great worn down and aged look... the crown seems to sit in the correct height! Would you please let me know where you got it?

Furthermore i think you aged the bezel just fine... slightly grey-ish... very beautiful!!

I've been wanting a 5513 for along time (I had a gen in the early 90s) but I don't really like any of the reps avail. Most of them have yellow script, I guess to make them look like a gilt dial or something. I did some studying and chose to build my own just out of readily available cn Submariner parts. The goal is to complete this watch and have a total investment of around $200.

This case is just your standard 1680 style case. As luck would have it, this case is thinner than my other Subs, like a 5513 case. I modified the cgs (I do mod the cgs to be centered with the crown) and redrilled the lugholes. I also rounded all of the sharp edges for a vintage look. The bezel insert was bleached for a couple hours and the pearl removed.

I had a new Tropic to go in but I wasn't aware that most of the "non MBW" reps will not accept them because the crystal is too thick to fit into the case. I ended up using an old Waltham plexi crystal I had till something better comes along. It looks very similar to a Tropic 19 to me plus it is used and scratched up which adds to the vintage look.

As far as the movement and dial goes, I'm using a rep 5517 and removing the "T". Here's pics:

S6300570.jpg

The "T" removed, a shot of dullcoat and a mist from the airbrush

S6300572.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Well this project has come to a screeching halt. I prepared the dial and movement for installation into the case and guess what? It's too small :o . I would have never dreamed that the 5517 reps had a different size dial. So what does this mean? The 5517 rep case will accept gen parts like a MBW. Just to see I installed a Tropic crystal and tried a gen 1680 dial I had into a 5517 case. They fit.

This doesn't help my 5513 project any but the info may come in handy to someone. So for now the parts get put away and my 5513 still illudes me :( .

S6300582.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Hi PF,

That sucks! I hate it when projects don't quite come together, believe me I know :rolleyes:

It seems most non-MBW sub reps have larger dials. A gen 1680 dial is 27mm+ and 5513 26mm. I had the same issue wanting to put a gen 1680 dial into the MBK/MBW 1680 case (branded 5513 and takes a 26mm dial). I decided I didn't want to risk trimming down a gen dial for what it cost me.

It like it.

Can you share how did you removed the (T)

Sure. It's easy, with ultra fine sandpaper. I first tried painting over it, but the T could still be seen. After gently sanding it away there was no evidence of it. It did make the dial a little dull there but I was going to dullcoat it anyway. And I promise the markers aren't that yellow, just the pics.

Edited by predfan2001