When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New years is coming! bring out the Cristal!

llsteve80

Anyone know where I can find some bottles of Cristal for a good price? I think normal retail is $300-400 a bottle $1k at a restaurant and so on. I'm buying up NYE tickets right now and thought maybe I could try to get some of this too. No rep cristal! :p

Anyway, me and a friend are going downtown (Chicago) next weekend to check out the hotels that have the good New Year's Eve balls. Last year we went to the Drake, and this year its between Drake, Palmer House, Hilton, Swissotel, the Allerton, and maybe the McCormick Place Hyatt. I think the top contenders are Palmer, Hilton and Swissotel, I do prefer the more "vintage" places, and Palmer House is gorgeous, the lobby awe inspiring, Hilton is the Hilton, nice but nothing opulent, and I believe the Swissotel is very modern, which I am not a big fan of compared to old school. If I want metal, glass, and cement, I'll go to jail for free.

All tickets sell out every year, all of the above are in the top 10 for Chicago, have multiple ballrooms, open bars, and good pre-party dinners. Hilton offers a VIP table with coctail server and premium bar for $2200, which includes 8 general admission tickets, so thats only $275 a pop. (Still need to pay for a room)

All this and what, Moet & Chandon? I have a line on the Cubans already, but WTF, its New Years, why not a bottle of Cristal or two?

I'll be buying tickets for the Drake, and holding on to them until they are sold out and scalping them, I know from experience that if you hold tickets to the Drake, you are the man and you will get 4x what you paid. Is that unscrupulous? I don't think so. If I were to attach a bunch of Noobmariners to the inside of my coat and try to get 4x what I bought them for, that might be unscrupulous, but thats not the plan. I think of the extra tickets as an investment.

Well, thats my story, and if anyone is interested in going in on the VIP table, let me know, we might only have about 4-6 willing to do that. Not sure that is the plan yet, but with enough people yup.

Sorry, can't agree with you on the Palmer House, that place has seen better days.

Water damaged ceilings, worn out carpeting, pretty seedy.

here in miami that stuff is way cheaper.. Buddy of mine got married last year I bought him a bottle of Don P for like 120 or 140 and the cristal was like low low 200's

And yeah it's mostly hype, but if youve never done it why not.

I can attest to the fact that it's cheaper in Miami too. Corner of US1 and 17th, there is a Citgo station which sells them for $125. Well, they did the time I went there. I boycott Citgo as a rule... <_<

Sorry, can't agree with you on the Palmer House, that place has seen better days.

Water damaged ceilings, worn out carpeting, pretty seedy.

Interesting, I was under the impression that it was recently restored, like in the past 3 years or so. Either way the empire room and main lobby are reminiscent of early european/french architecture and it's hard to find quality like that these days.

You gotta be kidding. Don't buy into the 'ghetto fabulous' hype surrounding this stuff. Buy Krug or if you can find it in the US, Henri Giraud. Your palate and wallet will thank you.

Not kidding :p But this is definitely not inspired by rappers. I would really only get it if it was a good deal, like below someone saw it for $125, thats a bottle of Dom.

It's party time. P, A, R, T. Why? Because I gotta!

PA060162_2_2.jpg

Aha, the mask, I love it!

here in miami that stuff is way cheaper.. Buddy of mine got married last year I bought him a bottle of Don P for like 120 or 140 and the cristal was like low low 200's

And yeah it's mostly hype, but if youve never done it why not.

I vaguely recall the one time I had it at Rive Gauche when my bud was entertaining some gold diggers, I remember having a glass and thinking "thats it?" Immediately went back to my trusty ol' Amstel Light

Krug all the way here. I once had Krug 1982 and I thought I died and went to heaven. It was merely Paris.

Thats my 2nd choice, maybe not 1982, never had it, but Krug will do to. I'll just have to see what comes up.

Basically I'm thinking it would just be something to be able to remember a little more, for instance, last year we were drinking Hennessy XO, and dam! Next thing I new I couldn't remember if I was at a wedding, NYE or wtf. This year is going to be a little special, the boys that moved are coming to Chicago for new years and the last time we were all together for this holiday was 2001. Tentative planning for this year started about Jan 1 '07, so its all settled now and should be a blast no matter what. Luckily, I put the cash aside for this, or I'd be in trouble right now. I'm really looking forward to it, the drinks won't make the day, but it could make a good story perhaps. It'll be like old times with a twist.