When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ladies Frankens

Hi all,

I was hoping we might be able to compile some resources about frankenwatches for women. The most obvious solution seems to be to fit a Rolex dial to a Tudor Princess, which can be had fairly economically. However, let's assume we want to do this from the ground up.

It looks to me as if the sizes for the womens watches are fairly standard. I just acquired a beat up 6917 26mm case as a starting point. It also looks as if the date/datejust/no date dials are all the same size--roughly 20mm--although I'm not entirely sure about the no date. I would like to fit an ETA 2671 automatic movement, which should be what is in the Tudor watches (along with 2651's and maybe others). I have no idea if a spacer is required...I checked the day-date version of the ETA (2678 as I recall) and it did not appear to have an enlargement ring available :( ...so one may have to be built. I assume the case can fit an ETA based on the Tudors.

Finally, the sticking points: (1) I do not know what the date window situation is...same as ETA? (2) Does anyone know a source for the hands. The ETA takes 70/120/20. It does not seem like Tudor hands are as freely available as for the men's watch.

Waiting eagerly :bounce:

I've been looking into this project as well. In both ladies and mid size.

I haven't made a move to aquire any parts, but this is probably what I would do.

I would get the ETA 2000-1 movement. It is 19.4mm and 3.6mm thick. This is the closest in size to a 2035/ 2135 rolex. The rolex is 19.7mm and 5.95mm thick.

The thinner 2000-1 will be easier for stem alignment and should allow you to use a genuine date disc as an overlay. Unfotrunately, both the movement and gen date disc are expensive. You will need one for the 2035 due the the date progession. Here is one on ebay. 260124581879 You will have to remove the driving gear from it to fit on the movement.

Also, the 2000-1 is designed for thin watches so you will also have to check the hand fitting height. You will most likely have to replace the fourth, hour and cannon pinion. And this may be the only snag in using this movement. It seems the tallest fitting height is 3 for this. It may not be tall enough to clear the dial markers. I have not tried to fit one, so I can't say for sure. The tallest cannon pinion has a height of 1.6mm over dial seat. It will just depend how low the 2000-1 sits below the dial for stem alignment.

Hands, I would just use genuine hands as the size difference isn't that much and you could easily broach them to fit the eta movement. rolex: 65/115/20

**Please keep in mind, this is just from research that I have done. I have not bought any of these parts and tried to fit anything together, but this is probably the route I would go.

Thanks Stilty.

Let's hear from others. :cc_detective:

BTW, our wholesaleoutlet friend has aftermarket hands--listed for eta 2671 rather than "Tudor."

I'm currently compiling a bunch of really cheap parts (dented and damaged) to get them in my hands to make measurements re. the stem position.

Cheers.