When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How Close Do You Think Joshua's New Tank (with The Correct Movement) Come To The Original?

infinitime

Hi guys,

Joshua has just listed a new variant of the Tank model... I am not overly familiar with these, but from a lay person's observations, the only "flaws" i could see are that the printing on the textured dial is not of very good quality, and the blue stone on the crown is not that great... Otherwise, the engraving on the back, the size of the case, and the movement itself all seem to be spot on? What do you experts think?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=5767

It looks to me that the numbers are thinner than the original. See for example the IIII at 4 o'clock - the gap between each I is as wide as the I itself. On the original the gaps are much thinner because the numbers themselves are thicker. Hope this makes sense.

Perhaps someone more technically gifted than me could post a pic of the genuine next to Josh's one.

It looks to me that the numbers are thinner than the original. See for example the IIII at 4 o'clock - the gap between each I is as wide as the I itself. On the original the gaps are much thinner because the numbers themselves are thicker. Hope this makes sense.

Perhaps someone more technically gifted than me could post a pic of the genuine next to Josh's one.

Thank you! That is very observant of you to notice. Do you suppose it would be difficult to source an original dial? I like the watch, but at $378, it is still a bit rich for me.... maybe i'll wait until the price comes down a bit! :)

Thank you! That is very observant of you to notice. Do you suppose it would be difficult to source an original dial? I like the watch, but at $378, it is still a bit rich for me.... maybe i'll wait until the price comes down a bit! :)

I agree that $378 is not cheap but when this watch with this movt (it's the same movt as in the original) came out a year or two ago they were asking about $600 :omg: although I think that version had better numbers. Hopefully Joshua will be able to get the more accurate dial for this price which would make it a pretty attractive proposition.

I agree that $378 is not cheap but when this watch with this movt (it's the same movt as in the original) came out a year or two ago they were asking about $600 :omg: although I think that version had better numbers. Hopefully Joshua will be able to get the more accurate dial for this price which would make it a pretty attractive proposition.

Guess we should all keep our fingers crossed... curious though, any idea as to whether the blue "ruby" on the crown of the gen is actually ruby? or is it synthetic? I gather this part is plastic on the rep?

Guess we should all keep our fingers crossed... curious though, any idea as to whether the blue "ruby" on the crown of the gen is actually ruby? or is it synthetic? I gather this part is plastic on the rep?

Think you mean sapphire rather than ruby - rubies are red if I'm not mistaken ;)

I would guess it's something synthetic.

• 1 month later...
Hi guys,

Joshua has just listed a new variant of the Tank model... I am not overly familiar with these, but from a lay person's observations, the only "flaws" i could see are that the printing on the textured dial is not of very good quality, and the blue stone on the crown is not that great... Otherwise, the engraving on the back, the size of the case, and the movement itself all seem to be spot on? What do you experts think?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=5767

Frankly I am a WIS. The rep pictured is probably as close as you can ever get. I'd buy it. There are few Cartier connoisseurs out there anyway. It's got the great movement, great detail on the dial and regarding the detail there--there has been quite a few different variations of the same dial in the genuine one (minor, probably due to different dial outsorcing).

If we're nit picking, the way I tell the difference is in the hands. The rivet in the genuine is brass colored. The reps always have them painted. So on a gen model you will see a little "gold" spec in the center of the hands. Look at one in person and you will know what I mean.

What I'm saying is -- awesome rep.