When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I need some advice

llsteve80

Ok, this is becoming some sort of twisted web for me and I need some outside perspective. I've expressed interest a few times on here about vintage daytonas, and I bought a few parts before I realized how much the project would cost. (this was a while ago) Lay off, blah blah, I put my not yet started project out to pasture and sold the parts I bought. I made a acquaintance along the way who is seriously gung-ho about these project watches. He wants me to sell him more stuff than I had, so I pointed him to several places that have what he needs. For some reason, he wants to go through me on everything, but I tried to explain to him that it would take twice as long and be alot of work on my part. He says thats fine with him, and tells me what he's willing to pay, which is more than it would cost me to buy it, about $400 more. I sourced this stuff, so maybe making some change on the deal would be cool, but WTF, it doesn't feel right. Doing something for free, something which is a total pain I may add, seems retarded so I'm in some kind of *moral?* dilemma. I sat on it for a month and didn't even speak to this guy.

Fast forward----I see freddy's watches AND get asked, almost begged to come back to work in the same day, so I start looking again. Then this dude PINs me and asks about bridges and tells me he's still looking for a case too. Before, I told him just to look up ntdtrading, they have some. Now there's this DW, but I don't want to just start giving that guys info out since we don't even know each other.

If I do buy a case from him, it's going to be for me, not someone else and it's not going to be right now anyway.

I recommended that the guy joins a forum or 2, and he's not interested in that either.

I do have a little fish on the hook with an old ntd trading case for sale, I sold someting to him before and kept in contact, and I can get it for a good price. I suppose I could sell it right away to this other guy and get some bank off of it, but I don't know if I want to. At the same time, I can't think of any reason NOT to do it. I was looking at this Ntd case for myself, then heard about DW cases, and heard they were like $350, so that seems good for my watch, which I could afford with the sale on the other part. AHHHH! The past few days, every time I turn around its 6263 this or 6263 that and throw a good 6265 at it while we're hitting me in the head with all of this. I feel like a freakin junkie who ran out of smack or something.

This potential buyer has more faith in me than I feel I instilled, and I feel I have several options but don't know which one to take. I will list them to keep this from being too objective:

1. Buy the case and sell it right away for $400 extra dollars and put that towards my case

2. Buy the case, sell it for close to cost, feel stupid and wait some time before I start mine

3. Buy 2 DW cases, sell him one for twice as much, then I get one free and he gets one for way less than the other one.

4. Don't do anything, tell the dude I can't get it, then wait until I'm ready to buy one for myself.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, we've had some interesting watch building chats, I just don't want to take advantage of him. I told him that, and he said thanks, can you get it or what? I have money. Money is the one thing my father always taught me to never say no to. I sell stuff left and right to strangers, cars, phones, computers, satellite equipment, but I never really took pleasure at making a profit off of someone I know. This guy sure doesn't seem to mind though. Maybe he just doesn't want the hassle.

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, we've had some interesting watch building chats, I just don't want to take advantage of him. I told him that, and he said thanks, can you get it or what? I have money. Money is the one thing my father always taught me to never say no to. I sell stuff left and right to strangers, cars, phones, computers, satellite equipment, but I never really took pleasure at making a profit off of someone I know. This guy sure doesn't seem to mind though.

Stop me if you've heard me say this before :p, but I know plenty of rich people like that. HOWEVER...

Maybe he just doesn't want the hassle.

...this situation still sounds fishy to me, llsteve80. It's almost as if there is a fall to be taken, he'd rather you take it at some point.

You're nice. I personally would've ditched him long ago.

Stay sharp. Good luck.

Number 3.

Even if you are able to purchase from DW, there is risk of loss involved. If you are making the buy, you are assuming the risk...It's fair to expect compensation for this risk.

Stop me if you've heard me say this before :p, but I know plenty of rich people like that. HOWEVER...

...this situation still sounds fishy to me, llsteve80. It's almost as if there is a fall to be taken, he'd rather you take it at some point.

You're nice. I personally would've ditched him long ago.

Stay sharp. Good luck.

Thanks my thoughts too

$400 isn't even 1 car sale........ But it is less work, now that I know where all the stuff is.