When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should the new SeaDweller be classed as a super rep?

FxrAndy

Should the new SeaDweller be classed as a super rep?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should the new SeaDweller be classed as a super rep?

• Yes
    • No

The SSD is performing well at the moment but I am being cautious because it has a lot of dives and many more hours in the water to survive before the test is complete.

And it will have to be performing very well to live through the decompression because the HEV valve does not depress (part of the waterproofing process) so if any helium has penetrated the case it cannot escape in the same way as the gen...we have already taken steps to ensure it cannot harm the divers or the chamber if it explodes during or after the decompression.

In addition, I've noted a lot of comments already made by many of the divers prior to the test (who all have gens) and I'll include their pre and post test observations in the review...mostly positive so far but quite a few negatives as well...

...I still voted for it to be a super rep though...

I am by no means a Rolex expert. From reviews I have read though, it would seem that the flaws are minimal. CG's and pearl insert? I would submit that for such minimal things, and bearing in mind the next nest thing is an MBW Sub, this is a super rep using these factors. What is a super rep though - I would also submit a super rep is a hyped up watch that is usually overpriced. So I would therefore conclude it isn't a super rep.

A Super rep for non super rep money?

My 2 cents. The watch is really really good. However, we all examine the rollies far beyond that of any other watch. Why - because it is rep standard. So, it you make a few mods to this watch you can basically fix everything but ByTor's front re-haut.

I think that means - "super-rep".

But, it does not mean that I didn't wish they hadn't cut that corner. I mean - come on - would that have cost even $5 more to set up the CNC machine to make one more cut?

I agree with you 100% cskent69 and I hope the trusted dealers look at all the comments already made about the SDD and incorporate them as soon as possible because the amendments needed to make the SDD a true mirror of the gen in every way seem to be minor...and if this watch survives the treatment it is currently enduring then it will easily survive out of the water to become an absolute must have and the all time best selling rep...that would also possibly drive the rep cost down to around 2%-3% of the gen, which costs $5000-$6000 depending on which continent you buy it.

As a Noob I know nothing about reps front rehaut thickness.

What I do know is I like this watch BUT

WHY DONT THESE FACTORYS GET IT RIGHT!!!

Seems Simple:

- Buy a Gen Sea Dweller and Boxset

- Copy every single thing on it ( Even the movement, seems easy enough)

- Manufacture it and sell for a fair price.

And Everyone would buy it they would make loads of profits over that $6000 Infact theyd probably only have to sell 12 to get that.

Then do it with all the models and everyone can afford rolex.

If it is made identically to the gen, then the chances are it performs like one too... and EVERYONE IS HAPPY ( Except Rolex)

I will start a new poll a sort of petition to rep factories so that all the dealers can say to them.

I can guarentee 1,000 + sales at $300 if you make ........

BUT BACK TO TOPIC

Yes it is super but not perfect nor definitive nor sepctacular

its Super but it could be Perfect and thats a fact.

ABC

And it will have to be performing very well to live through the decompression because the HEV valve does not depress (part of the waterproofing process) so if any helium has penetrated the case it cannot escape in the same way as the gen...we have already taken steps to ensure it cannot harm the divers or the chamber if it explodes during or after the decompression.

Are you saying that you sealed up the He valve yourself? Was it ever tested before it was altered? I ask because the He valve is being advertised as 'functional' and I was curious to see if it actually worked like a real He valve.

No doubt that it is a vast improvement over the previous model. Having said this, the watch should be improved in several areas.

1) CGs: It may be an easy mod for some but not for most of us. It's inexcusable for the CGs to be this inaccurate given the accuracy that has been achieved with other reps.

3) Pearl accuracy is way off. A gen insert will fit but why stare at an additional expense to fix something that cannot be that difficult to get correct.

3) Frontal rehaut thickness. I agree with BT on this and this is something that can't be fixed. It shouldn't be too difficult to get this aspect of the watch improved.

4) Laser crown on the crystal: Too bold and obvious. They should leave it off which would be more accurate.

It is a great watch and I am by no means putting down a great effort. However, I think it's best to document the issues and hopefully, they will be addressed.

No doubt that it is a vast improvement over the previous model. Having said this, the watch should be improved in several areas.

1) CGs: It may be an easy mod for some but not for most of us. It's inexcusable for the CGs to be this inaccurate given the accuracy that has been achieved with other reps.

3) Pearl accuracy is way off. A gen insert will fit but why stare at an additional expense to fix something that cannot be that difficult to get correct.

3) Frontal rehaut thickness. I agree with BT on this and this is something that can't be fixed. It shouldn't be too difficult to get this aspect of the watch improved.

4) Laser crown on the crystal: Too bold and obvious. They should leave it off which would be more accurate.

It is a great watch and I am by no means putting down a great effort. However, I think its best to document the issues and hopefully, they will be addressed.

I agree They did all the rest so well and they fall down with just those 4 minor things. Everything else seems pretty much perfect.

ABC

The HEV was already sealed SportsterRider and I understand this is part of the waterproofing process because I wanted my Seamaster waterproofed and the HE release crown needed to be be sealed solid and could not be unscrewed. I also noticed that the SSD HEV was billed as being functional and it was the first thing I tested when I received the the watch. It was also one of the questions I asked the trusted dealer when I was confirming the safe operating depth of the waterproofing but I didn't get an answer on that point so I proceedd with the test assuming it was the same situation I had with my Seamaster.

Interestingly, the instructions for the gen specifically state that the HEV must never be depressed in the water and must only be used in the chamber during decompression to release any heliox that has penetrated the interior. Depressing the HEV exposes the watch interior and if the water is at a higher pressure than the interior the movement will flood...so if the rep's HEV has been constructed to be waterproof (correct seals etc) and it isn't depressed in the water then it should still be waterproof so there's possibly no need to secure it!!! :g:

I agree They did all the rest so well and they fall down with just those 4 minor things. Everything else seems pretty much perfect.

ABC

I am no Rolex expert AT ALL, but is the date window correct? Gen looks like it slopes at the sides while the rep looks like a straight cut...

The HEV was already sealed SportsterRider and I understand this is part of the waterproofing process because I wanted my Seamaster waterproofed and the HE release crown needed to be be sealed solid and could not be unscrewed. I also noticed that the SSD HEV was billed as being functional and it was the first thing I tested when I received the the watch. It was also one of the questions I asked the trusted dealer when I was confirming the safe operating depth of the waterproofing but I didn't get an answer on that point so I proceedd with the test assuming it was the same situation I had with my Seamaster.

Interestingly, the instructions for the gen specifically state that the HEV must never be depressed in the water and must only be used in the chamber during decompression to release any heliox that has penetrated the interior. Depressing the HEV exposes the watch interior and if the water is at a higher pressure than the interior the movement will flood...so if the rep's HEV has been constructed to be waterproof (correct seals etc) and it isn't depressed in the water then it should still be waterproof so there's possibly no need to secure it!!! :g:

Ahh. Okay. I was under the impression that the He valve on the SD deployed automatically when a pressure delta in the case exists (whereas with the SMP, you have to unscrew the crown on the He valve in order for it to function). I didn't know you had to press the valve manually.

Thanks for all the great info!

Ahh. Okay. I was under the impression that the He valve on the SD deployed automatically when a pressure delta in the case exists (whereas with the SMP, you have to unscrew the crown on the He valve in order for it to function). I didn't know you had to press the valve manually.

Thanks for all the great info!

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=25530is an ecelent thread on the workings of the He valve and i also found a tech drawing of the original comex SD patent He valve here