When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Be Careful

TWP

Dear All

Last week a customer brought the second hand sweep to my attention on the UPO. I asked the customer to send the watch back to me, or to open up the caseback to see what movement was inside. He opted for the latter and sent me pictures. I was shocked at what i saw. Instead of ETA2824-2 movement, there was an ETA 2842 which explains the the sweep of the seconds hand.

I confronted my supplier about this and he has stated something that we all know, the stocks of 2824-2 are drying up in China. Secondly, the factory had lied to him and had told him 2824-2, this fact really does not shock me. I will be updating my website.

I would like to ask other owners, of late, to open their casebacks and take a looksy at your movement! Not really concerned whom you got it from, that is irrelavant, just want to see if this is an isolated incident or should we expect a trend? Indeed if it is a trend then the price should come down!

The 2842 is not a bad movement, but I, as we all do, hate false advertising!

Thanks

T

Edited by TWP

Last week a customer brought the second hand sweep to my attention on the UPO

COuld you just clarify that for me? I have a UPO, that does indeed have an ETA movement (my watchsmith was amazed when he opened the back of this 'replica' to find this), but I don't know which variant it is.

Are you suggesting that I can tell from the second hand sweep?

prof

that is in fact horrible news!! will the rep makers adopt the selina (sp?) movement like what the gen companies are doing or will they stick to their asian made 2824s?

in any case, i can forsee the prices of reps w swiss 2824s going up.. :S

A legitimate case if the movement is indeed 2824-2, but you can get an unbranded gen 2842 for 50.00 USD from ofrei. I am not for sure about the SW200 movement, otherwise known as stellita.

Here is a picture of the movement.

2842.jpg

Edited by TWP

A legitimate case if the movement is indeed 2824-2, but you can get an unbranded gen 2842 for 50.00 USD from ofrei. I am not for sure about the SW200 movement, otherwise known as stellita.

The Selita SW 200 is a 26 jewel movement and is functionally similar to the ETA 2824 and has the same beat rate at 28,800. It's been around the rep world for at least the last 12 months, I bought an Ultimate PO about 10 months ago which was advertised as "Swiss ETA" and it turned out to be the SW200, also bought a Steelfish which was claimed to be ETA but that too had the Selita movement. I would be more than a little surprised if there aren't quite a few of these Selita's around, not that it should be cause for concern, they are excellent movements and are probably more Swiss than a lot of other movements with ETA stamped on them.

Not that I need to chime in but unfortunately this is not an isolated incident. Mine to has the 2842. As has been mentioned, the 2842 is not a bad movement at all, it's just that's not what was advertised. The part that I'm most concerned with is resale value. I can't turn around and trade my PO for the relative value I should be able to trade it at because of this movement mishap. I say relative because if I'd paid say $200 knowing it was the 2842 movement, no problem. But if I'm paying "UPO" prices thinking I'm getting the "Ultimate" (or what we have become to know as Ultimate) only to find out later it's not so "Ultimate," then we've got a problem. As was mentioned, PT is sorting this out with his supplier and we'll see what happens. I don't blame him as I think he believed what his trusted suppliers told him but just let it be known that he is sorting this out for us.

Dear All

My supplier has verified today that the majority of current models of UPO are getting this movement. To get the right movement he has told me that he has to buy, seperately, and put in. Thus, I am pulling done my UPO listings on the website due to the high cost of this service.

Cheers

T

[size=5]Well the customer Prince is talking about is me. I am overall satsfied with the watch but not getting what was advertised was a big issue and also the tickin of the movment.

I got the watch along with my SFSO and campared with each for movement and i wasnt really happy to see that. But TWP cam thru and resolved the problem qucickly since i am going on vacation on the 17th of november.

Prince has my Pam 127 for mods and he said that to make me satisfied he will HOOK ME UP!!!!!. He said that i could pick any strap from strapculture.com and HE WILL PAY FOR IT.

I was really shocked at this offer. but then was really happy to hear he did this to recitfy the sitaution.

Ive always wanted a nice strap for my upcoming Pam but the price for the strap made me change my mind. Now i can enjoy a nice strap!!

But overall i give Prince a 10 out 10 for his great service and i thanks him for everything he has done. He will be on my top dealer to buy from LIST. :D

Thanks Prince :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by Bigrahizzle