When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master - Oyster or Jubilee?

Nanuq

I was only joking about the dremel (I couldn't imagine anyone having the balls to attempt that on a gen 1675 case!), so glad to see Euno has nixed that from a practical point of view - even if it was possible, the pointy CGs would be VERY difficult to reproduce, has curves and lines that you can't just hew from scratch.

One thing I think we can all agree on though is the GMT is probably the most enigmatic and fascinating Rolex Sports of all - its chameleon nature and evolution over the years provides such a variety in look. Oyster, Jubilee, leather (:crazy:), Pepsi, All-Black, etc. there's a combination to suit all tastes :tu:

Pfffffffffft.

Admit it, there is no good translation for "Jubilee" into the Queen's English. Instead it comes out like "Mildly Rousing Celebration with Huzzahs and Raised Pints but with the Ever-Stiff Upper Lip"

See why Oysters are so appealing across the Pond? You're not committing yourself to any excitement.

Huzzah! *clink*

:lol::lol: :lol:

You know you could be onto something there *huzzah* ;)

The word 'Jubilee' does bring to mind 1977 (which I don't remember) and the old dear's (QE2) Silver Jubilee, which I'm told was more enthusiastically celebrated than her Golden one in 2002.

So yes, I concede we are a nation of no-nonsense, tweed-wearing, pint glass-grasping, wolfhound-rearing, fox-baiting, waxed moustache-sporting party poopers who refuse to see the merits in the 'fussy and ladylike' Jubilee :p

True, dat. Regardless, I think we can all agree the GMT is just so stinking comfortable to wear! It sits low on the wrist, it has a low profile, it's thin and yet it shouts HERE IT AM... DEAL WITH ME.

Sorta like Keira Knightly. What was that about the delectable Ms. Knightly filming in your neighborhood?

:D that's a great analogy!

Yep she did indeed pop round last weekend all dressed up like a "Duchess" ;)

They had to close off the entire street and made me move my car (pfff, not very 'nineteenth century' apparently) <_<

Looked quite dull and it was very cold out there. Have some more interesting location shots on my camera, but for privacy reasons I won't post here.

imgp3265dm6.jpg

Jubilee.

rolexgmtiixn0.jpg

At least for the Coke. It adds life. :)

Yikes, a swine amongst pearls :o

Nope not buying that 'adds life' crap. The 'Coke' (I really dislike that obvious nickname) was only introduced with the launch of the 'Sophia' 16760 GMTII in the early '80s. I'm sure you could spec a Jubilee but by then it was adorning cheesy TT Datejusts etc.

I think we can all agree the GMT is just so stinking comfortable to wear! It sits low on the wrist, it has a low profile, it's thin and yet it shouts HERE IT AM... DEAL WITH ME.

One of the best things about the 1675 is indeed the amazing profile. The watch fits like no other Rolex on the wrist. It is thin and elegant; somewhat defying the archaetypal sports watch stance. But somehow the overall balance & weight makes it sit on the wrist like a 'perfect' tool watch. It is equally at home at 38,000Ft, snorkeling in the Turks & Caicos or at the Opera.

Can't de-hair a bear with a Jubilee...

:lol:

The stretch Rivit is the world's worst design. It must've been created by hairless effeminite swiss gnomes.