When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Start the Trend?

anton

My question, like always, is the topic. We see people of all kinds, all walks, wearing all kinds of different watches. Sometimes I can't help to think what goes in the minds of some people when they choose the watches they wear. Why is that some people have their defiant convictions when making a selection and others just want that "uber-cool" watch XYZ personality was wearing?

Does the watch on our wrists give us an identity or does it confirm that we are followers of a certain trend, that supposedly "someone" started? How did we choose it in the first place? Do you owe it to yourself or someone else that you've decided to wear "A" watch instead of "B" watch?

I'm a little crazy myself. I love my unique taste of watches. But why is it that whenever I see someone else wearing the same watch as mine, why do I feel the need to privately bludgeon them with a stick, so that's one less person wearing "my" watch? Did you ever feel this way? Does that mean that I like trends, or do I hate it?

Okay; let me start over. Are you a "ripple effect", or the product of a "ripple effect"? Do you start the trend? And why is it that celebrities always get the credit of a watch "trend" when they almost certainly got the idea from some average joe in the bar or the set?

And to pre-empt a familiar rebuttal: "In Mother Country, Trend Starts YOU."

And why is it that celebrities always get the credit of a watch "trend" when they almost certainly got the idea from some average joe in the bar or the set?

Why? Marketing 101. Celebrities are like advertising billboards - they are designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator & they get seen by alot of people. When one of these walking billboards wears a new bauble (watch, ring, necklace, dress, etc.) when they appear on tv, that bauble gets seen by millions of people, many of whom emulate the celebrity because there is the (baseless) belief that within beauty lies brilliance (beautiful people know something that mere mortals do not). In this case, that bauble gets seen by alot more people than would have seen it on the original average Joe Taxpayer who wore it when he took his dog for walkies to Starbuck's.

And Nanuq - I think it may be time for your walkies......

My question, like always, is the topic. We see people of all kinds, all walks, wearing all kinds of different watches. Sometimes I can't help to think what goes in the minds of some people when they choose the watches they wear. Why is that some people have their defiant convictions when making a selection and others just want that "uber-cool" watch XYZ personality was wearing?

Does the watch on our wrists give us an identity or does it confirm that we are followers of a certain trend, that supposedly "someone" started? How did we choose it in the first place? Do you owe it to yourself or someone else that you've decided to wear "A" watch instead of "B" watch?

I'm a little crazy myself. I love my unique taste of watches. But why is it that whenever I see someone else wearing the same watch as mine, why do I feel the need to privately bludgeon them with a stick, so that's one less person wearing "my" watch? Did you ever feel this way? Does that mean that I like trends, or do I hate it?

Okay; let me start over. Are you a "ripple effect", or the product of a "ripple effect"? Do you start the trend? And why is it that celebrities always get the credit of a watch "trend" when they almost certainly got the idea from some average joe in the bar or the set?

And to pre-empt a familiar rebuttal: "In Mother Country, Trend Starts YOU."

Have you considered therapy...???? :rolleyes:;):p :p

There's only so many watches in this world... you will inevitably always have one other person who wears the same watch you do, unless you design and build your own or buy a limited edition model. I think its just a question of dealing with it and knowing that, more than likely, you have the same look for thousands less.

I start trends.

Who's going to join me in the latest craze? Toasted Subs! :tu:

Wait............ Quizno's did that. :g:

I wish I had taken pics of my heavily toasted PO! After the back shot off dramatically, little pieces of the movement started shooting off! What great fun!

That said, I think I am the starter of the crucified PAM trend:

s3.jpg

:lol: That said, I did buy my first gen pam in '03, well before the masses knew what that hunk 'o metal was on my wrist. Nobody has any idea what I'm wearing when I tote my Benzingers around. Nor does anyone have any idea what this old piece of junk is when I wear it, and I prefer it that way:

IMG_03081.jpg

Yes, I have no shame. :p

Have you considered therapy...???? :rolleyes:;):p :p

Aroma, shiatsu or tantric sex?

Anyway, as to Anton's inimitable question (yay! he's back with them!), I bet you I'm like most people here. I see a watch I like on RWG, and I go for it. But it so happens that when I actually get it and start wearing it, I notice my neighbours get one too.

So what came first, the chicken follower or the egg trend-setter? I know! Because it had to cross the road.

P.S.: Obviously, people like to think they never copy others. But that's hogwash, unless you're a hermit. Being the kind of person who says they're NEVER influenced by others is a bit creepy, and narcissistic too.

Guest watchbuff

I never cared who is wearing "who". I have my staples and my watches are a testament that I am not afraid...just insane.

A Bell and Ross says it all (That I'm Blind maybe) Or i have multiple personalities thus multiple watches.

I started a post like this before. The watch is selected like the clothes we wear, sometimes to complement the clothes we wear.

(BTW ms Barrett I'm a Armani man myself)

I was never accussed odf started a trend nor being a trail blazer (that would mean others follow) I just march to the beat of my own drum. Confidence by far is the most noticed thing I wear.

The pic is of me and my partner (me on the right) and the faces obscured to protect the not-so-in innocent

Award.bmp