When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DW 6263 vs Cartel 6263

pauld

Do you know if he glued the hand directly to the dial face or did he fit the hand to a short piece of tube or pinion and then glue the tube/pinion to the movement below the dial?

I have a V23 that I want to use to relaunch the Flytimer dial (which came with a V72 that now resides in one of the Daytonas) & I am looking at options for fitting the dummy hour totalizer hand.

I'll try and find out for you.

Nice! See how the "A" in COSMOGRAPH matches the final "A" in DAYTONA?

You have no IDEA how hard it was to make that happen. :rolleyes:

I always look for that now on franken Daytona's. I've noticed a lot of the expensive "redials" do not have this correct!

Nice! See how the "A" in COSMOGRAPH matches the final "A" in DAYTONA?

You have no IDEA how hard it was to make that happen. :rolleyes:

Yeah...he got that right. But the "O" in Rolex is still too uniform...it's always something.

Pic of gen from eBay:

vintagedaytona3.jpg

Yes, the 'A's match, but the 'O' in ROLEX is wrong (the line should be thicker on the sides than the top/bottom), which, in my book, trumps the As. The 'O' is wrong on almost every non-gen Daytona dial I have seen (the 1 or 2 that got it close, screwed the rest of the text up even worse).

ODaytona.jpg

Also, the part of the 'X' in ROLEX that begins at top left and draws down to bottom right should be much bolder (thicker) than the other side and most of the rep dials get this wrong as well.

And here is the deal-breaker for every Newman - the bottom leg of the '3' in the minute totalizer (subdial at 3) on every gen Newman extends a bit beyond the top part.

3daytona.jpg

None of the rep dials get this right.

Remember the rep rule - Always get at least 1 detail wrong.

As for gluing the hours totalizer... I think he fixes it to a piece that he glues to the backside of the dial.

Nobody noticed that the "brushed" effect on the silver dial isn't dramatic enough? :huh:

Yup...I noticed. It's why I utimately went with a Timeman dial, with the coronet transplanted from a DW. I thought that the starburst pattern and prominent concentric rings on the subdial had a substantial visual impact, which outweighed the font errors...You gotta pick yer poison with these rep dials:

264232-4856.jpg