When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218 201a dial

davidsenjpn

here is the result. gen on the right. you be the judge.

comparison201ahq3.jpg

Yes, just what we knew all along - the logo's too big and bold, the LUMINOR PANERAI text isn't bold enough, the 6 & 9 are the wrong shape and the engraved markers are too fat. I agree that it is so frustrating because he asked for feedback and had such a great response, but in the end he just wouldn't try.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you would have to have a dial printer or send it to someone who does...

So, if you are going to have the dial stripped, repainted and reprinted what has been DSN's contribution??? :unsure: A bare, brass dial with engraved markers of the wrong shape and wrong thickness. Excellent, well done Davidsen. :rolleyes:

So, if you are going to have the dial stripped, repainted and reprinted what has been DSN's contribution??? :unsure: A bare, brass dial with engraved markers of the wrong shape and wrong thickness. Excellent, well done Davidsen. :rolleyes:

I don't disagree but people seem motivated to buy his dial anyway, so it was just a suggestion.

I don't disagree but people seem motivated to buy his dial anyway, so it was just a suggestion.

I know - I have bought one of them as well because there is nothing better available, JUST YET!!! The reason that I bought one, despite the flaws, is that I know from past experience that his future, 'new, improved, upgraded dial' will probably be much worse.

If only he had been willing to get the engraving correct your approach would have been mine too. It's just not worth it with the engraving flaws that his have.

if you going to re-print the dial then you could make the whole thing from the scratch as well... just need the dial with numbers cut out. Do you know any reasonably priced dial printers old skool? (who wouldnt mind producing counterfeit PAM dials..) its not that easy..

Well you would have to have a dial printer or send it to someone who does...
Edited by mil_sub

if you going to re-print the dial then you could make the whole thing from the scratch as well... just need the dial with numbers cut out. Do you know any reasonably priced dial printers old skool? (who wouldnt mind producing counterfeit PAM dials..) its not that easy..

Unfortunately I am out of the loop now. For a while I was looking into making some custom watches and talked to a number of people who do make custom dials.

I would take a look at watchuseek. They have a watch making section. You could ask there or maybe do a search on Timezone.

I would hesitate to bring up making counterfeit dials on either of those forums, personally. ;)

Most legit dial makers probably wouldn't want to deal with the risks involved in trying to make replicas. Unless you have an "in" with someone at the dial makers, I'd bet it would be a pretty daunting task.

DSN's dials are *right there*, just slightly change the 6 and 9 and the dial font a bit. So close, and yet so very far away....

I agree. I never inquired about replicas as such. I would just keep it vague and just say you want custom printing. Though if you approached an actual watch modder for the project, it would obviously have to come up. And in that case I would advise against it personally. However, you may be able to find out some basic info anyway. Best of luck.