When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218 201a dial

davidsenjpn

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just checked my scans of a preA dial, which uses the same engraving, and a scan of a 5218/201A dial. Both of these genuine dials are bare, uncased and show the dial edges. The artwork shown above and the prototype dial both have the numbers and indicies too close to the dial edges. This will be more noticeable when it is cased and a particular problem for anyone wanting to reduce the size of the Davidsen dial to fit a normal case.

I also don

David ...congratulations - these look superb - and a huge leap forward in rep-dials.

David ......As this is now taking over my day now :-) ...I want to follow up on the fonts specifically

IMHO they do not look as good as your recent previous versions - ideally the print should be thick , bold with more pronounced seriphs than this artwork shows

I have attached some very high res images if you can access - apologies if you have seen these already.

http://images.antiquorum.com/163/full/513.jpg

http://images.antiquorum.com/97/full/103.jpg

http://images.antiquorum.com/76/full/284.jpg

http://images.antiquorum.com/52/full/89.jpg

Regards

Simon

I have just checked my scans of a preA dial, which uses the same engraving, and a scan of a 5218/201A dial. Both of these genuine dials are bare, uncased and show the dial edges. The artwork shown above and the prototype dial both have the numbers and indicies too close to the dial edges. This will be more noticeable when it is cased and a particular problem for anyone wanting to reduce the size of the Davidsen dial to fit a normal case.

I also don

I would love also to see the correct 6 and 9 on the dial. This is very obvious points on the dial which will make the dial unique and stand out from others.

Hi Davidsen, it looks like the base files for this are your current dials. As mentioned above, please modify the 6 and 9. Equally important is the font on the text which will be different from your current font, expecially in thickness and the in particular the "A"s.

Hi Davidsen, it looks like the base files for this are your current dials. As mentioned above, please modify the 6 and 9. Equally important is the font on the text which will be different from your current font, expecially in thickness and the in particular the "A"s.

Nope, the dial is brand new, it uses the latest graphics file, and had been made completely from scratch, no older overlays were used. :)

We're really getting there with the 201/202 projects. Please keep in mind this is just a prototype, both the dial and caseback, and the final product will most likely look different. It is the project two of our most experienced and knowleadgable vintage PAM rep colleagues have undertaken on their own, spending their own resources, time and money, as real PAM entusiasts would :D

The thread is open for discussion and good suggestions are welcome :) I'm surprised there was a mention of super-lume double-strength glow being suggested...guys, please keep it in perspective, it's a 15 years old T dial, with almost none or very low glow.

Here's few pointers and observations of my own, if I may:

- 'Luminor Panerai' dial txt shouldn't be cracked or vintagized, as many have noted in this thread already. The font is spot on.

- numbers 12, 3, 6 & 9 and hour bars are positioned correctly on the dial picture from enzo, the're sitting just a tad too close to the edge on the DSN protoytype, so should have to be pushed in a bit.

- the 'break' point on the numerals 6 and 9 were suggested, that's very correct, but extremely hard to match during CNC process, so we'll have to hope for the best

- number 3 should be slightly wider (but ever so slightly) and numerals thinner...again ever so slightly. The angle between long horizontal and short diagonal bars on number 3 should be slightly sharper, more "closed". The whole appearance of dial numerals and indices is slighly skewed, since it's only a picture of a dial filled with white (luminova) color. After the grooves are filled with 'vintagized' varnish, the indices and numerals might actually appear slightly thinner, due to subdued white underlay lume color effect.

- the dial logo is of a correct shape, although the lines are too bold. This is easily fixable, so no panic required :). Also, it should sit just slightly higher, closer to the centre of the dial.

- caseback 'officine panerai firenze' engraving is good although the font should be thinner. Same goes for the 5218...txt at the bottom. Serial number is spot on.

That's from me for now... a lot of effort has been put into this project now, and its initiators would really like to create something AWESOME this time, the 201 and 202 dials worth their fame and significance for all of us serious collectors. Your input will help shaping the look and feel of the final product, sp please keep your comments flowing :-)

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

@ Davidsen , Babola + others involved ......Respect ...as they say on the streets..

Are we gonna have a Pre-V Christmas ????

Simon

Cheers, although Enzo and DSN deserve most of the credit as they've done (and continue to do so) the actual ground work. I tend to come in from the sidelines :)

Pre-V Xmas...? Hmm, lets hope fotr the best ! ^_^

babola

I admire and appreciate Davidsen's dedication to working with the rep buyers through the development process to create the most accurate rep possible. This is what we've always hoped for! @ davidsen, I assure you that you will have many buyers for this watch if its as good as it appears it may be....

This is a pre run sample of the new 201a dial I have been working in the past 2 months.

DSCF6020-1-1.jpg

This is a solid 34mmx 0.8mm black dial with dial feet made for units 6497.

All Indexes been engraved by CNC machine unifoirmly at prcise 0.5mm depth from surface.

My next step is to apply c1 lume/vintage lume on the bottom and 4 sides walls of the index aera.then fill the

hollow aera with vanish.

Printing of logos will be done eventually.

more pics will be followed soon.

All comments are welcomed.

What model will the end Pan be, or am I missing something ?

I love the dial and would put in a pre ordere on what I see.

Jeff

What model will the end Pan be, or am I missing something ?

I love the dial and would put in a pre ordere on what I see.

Jeff

It's right in the title, Jeff. A Panerai 201/A is the model. As mentioned above, this dial can also be used for the 202/A.

I don't believe DSN is offering any "pre-ordering" at this point.

The logo font is COPPERPLATE

Are you sure? The Missus' fancy font recognition sofware says no match w/ copperplate, although it ID's both Copperplate and the Panerai font as based on Helvetica. Maybe OP's font is an in-house designed version of helvetica similar to Copperplate?

ON EDIT: I just checked out copperplate. It looks like paneraicollector has solved a longstanding mystery: Comparing letter for letter w/ copperplate in Photoshop, they're very close. The biggest difference is that the bar on the capital A in copperplate is lower than the bar in the A's in PANERAI. Probably, the repmakers use Copperplate for rep dials, and the result is the famous drooping A's.

Actually, I think its kind of insulting to that you give pictures to Davidsan....Hes not just coming up with this prototype off of a whim. GEEZ :g:

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I think the pics are fantastic. I'm not even remotely a vintage guy, but I do like to see where Panerai was historically. The only historic model I like is the Egyptian.

post-420-1195606470_thumb.jpg

50mm with a sandwich dial and that lovely crownguard.

Makes me want to buy this:

post-420-1195606709_thumb.jpg