When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5218 201a dial

davidsenjpn

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I typed it wrong. take out the "to" after "insulting" and before "that". It should read "insulting that" not "insulting to that." Just wanted to express that Davidsen may feel insulted after he put the time and effort into presenting RWG with a photo of his hard work only to be shown other pictures of what other members feel the dial should look like. Thats all.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I typed it wrong. take out the "to" after "insulting" and before "that". It should read "insulting that" not "insulting to that." Just wanted to express that Davidsen may feel insulted after he put the time and effort into presenting RWG with a photo of his hard work only to be shown other pictures of what other members feel the dial should look like. Thats all.

We're just trying to help, since I think davidsen would himself admit that he doesn't exactly have a track record of getting dials 100% right. People are using the pics to make sure he understands what's wrong w/ the versions he's posted in this thread so far, not to provide him w/ pics he might not already have. In any event, I'm sure no insult is intended or taken--we're just trying to make it so that this time he doesn't have to go through several versions to fix errors as has happened many times in the past.

I was told on another forum the the 201 did have AR.

You see ....that's what you get on other forums ....confusion and nonsense.... :-)

NO AR on Pre-V watches...in fact not until transitional B series Vendome did AR appear.......I think our resident experts will confirm or deny ...

PS : It would be in Davidsens best interest to take note of the comments and pictures - the more correct these new dials are the more watches he will sell....:-)

FGD

You see ....that's what you get on other forums ....confusion and nonsense.... :-)

NO AR on Pre-V watches...in fact not until transitional B series Vendome did AR appear.......I think our resident experts will confirm or deny ...

Of course Simon.. no AR whatsoever.. :rolleyes:

So bazonkers if you want to LEARN you stay at RWG and forget the other forums ;)

Of course Simon.. no AR whatsoever.. :rolleyes:

So bazonkers if you want to LEARN you stay at RWG and forget the other forums ;)

Agreed - no AR.

Generally AR was not present on the 'T' dial watches. Not sure about some of the subs that had tritium dials much later than the 01 / 02 etc which were phased into Luminova and AR during the B series.

Seriously though, there are a few members here who are more knowledgeable about the earlier (real) Panerai models than most of the Paneristi. If you think that I

Most of the gen 'ristis are not that great when it comes to all things Panerai. The reason being - they simply don't care too much about those nitty gritty bits some of us are obsessed with, LOL!

BTW, A/R coating appeared first time on C-series watches in 2000. Definitelly not before. I discussed this offline with many B and C series owners and a lot has been written about this on the gen forum.

cheers,

babola

P.S. there's nothing wrong with some of the "other" rep forums...live and let live I'd say, and everything you read on these rep forums (including here) take with a grain of salt :)

Peace brothers !

Edited by babola

BTW, A/R coating appeared first time on C-series watches in 2000. Definitelly not before. I discussed this offline with many B and C series owners and a lot has been written about this on the gen forum.

WORD@B....always wanted to be clear on that one ....so a B serial L-Swiss-L 001 has no AR ...?

P.S. there's nothing wrong with some of the "other" rep forums...live and let live I'd say, and everything you read on these rep forums (including here) take with a grain of salt :)

Peace brothers !

Peace indeed...just joshing on the other forum jibe.....I dip my own toe occassionally but still think this one rules :-)

FGD

:fish:

I am still trying to put lume on these indexes the way same way like the Gen.

The process is very slow and need some practices.

Will post pics of dial with lume soemtime this week.

I have made some sampels(unlumed) with printing of logo on these base dials.

201a and 202a.

Pls see if the these dials logos and print ok?

DSC_2788.jpg

DSC_2771.jpg

the pre A sew in 24mm steel buckels been made too.

I will make engrave of the panny logos and put them into straps (115/85mm)

DSC_2748-1.jpg

DSC_2742.jpg

DSC_2750.jpg

What straps are the best? plain color straps or sharkskin pattern?

Looking much better :)

I'd go with plain leather PAV style straps, 90, 91, 98 and 99, waterproof if possible to be closer to the original.

Instead of 115/85 how about more standardized lenghts like 120/75 or 125/80 ?

We're slowly getting there !

babola

Edited by babola

The dial printing looks fairly good but the engraved indicies are still too close to the dial edge - in other words the diameter of the markers is too big and as a result the printing will also be too big if correctly spaced from the hour markers. Also the logo is slightly too bold or heavy as the lines are slightly thicker than they should be.

I'd go with plain leather PAV style straps, 90, 91, 98 and 99, waterproof if possible to be closer to the original.

Agree for the plain ones.. As far as I know ONLY the PAV90 was waterproof.. 91 and 99 were DEFINATELY not and I just put a 'maybe' to the 98.

Please get the position of the hour markers correct - they are too close to the edge of the dial and consequently form a circle of too large diameter. Then, if the printing is positioned correctly in relation to the 11 & 1 hour markers it is too large. Also the logo is too large and the lines are too thick.

This image is of an original bare dial but the logo is not properly aligned - it was a propotype of the 5218/201A dial when it was considered aligning the up & down (air & sea) arrows on a vertical axis but it looks lobsided as the 'horizontal' lines are not horizontal.

prevlogodialjh0.jpg

Agree for the plain ones.. As far as I know ONLY the PAV90 was waterproof.. 91 and 99 were DEFINATELY not and I just put a 'maybe' to the 98.

Just following from what I learned from Socko over at 'risti. He's collected them all (except 95 I believe) and claims all are waterproof.

I double checked my photo archives, and yep - 90, 99 both come with 'Kodiak' imprinted on the underside, meaning they're both waterproof :)

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

Please get the position of the hour markers correct - they are too close to the edge of the dial and consequently form a circle of too large diameter. Then, if the printing is positioned correctly in relation to the 11 & 1 hour markers it is too large. Also the logo is too large and the lines are too thick.

This image is of an original bare dial but the logo is not properly aligned - it was a propotype of the 5218/201A dial when it was considered aligning the up & down (air & sea) arrows on a vertical axis but it looks lobsided as the 'horizontal' lines are not horizontal.

Pamman, were both on the same page regarding this "issue".

I have raised it with DSN as soon I saw his first prototype 201/A dial a week ago...it's hard to miss it.

Enzo's graphic shows correct spacing of the numerals and indices relative to the edge of the dial.

Somehow that original drawing got "lost in translation" before the dial maker CNC'd the indices.

DSN is aware of this, whether or not he still has enough time to do something about it is another matter altogether.

I also believe the dial txt and logo is good but somehow without that crispness of the original, the letters on 201/A are missing that sharp edge, 202/A txt is better.

At least the cracked quazi-vintagized dial txt is now gone :)

Let's keep the discussion going, afterall that's what DSN asked for in his original post.

cheers,

babola

Just following from what I learned from Socko over at 'risti. He's collected them all (except 95 I believe) and claims all are waterproof.

I double checked my photo archives, and yep - 90, 99 both come with 'Kodiak' imprinted on the underside, meaning they're both waterproof :)

cheers,

babola

He is definately wrong.. The guy who couldn't recognise a bloody awful Dsn rep from a genuine has no right to speak about straps even if he has them in doubles. Having money to buy something doesn't make you an expert.

And you probably did wrong the numbers.. 90 and 98 are Kodiak and not the 99 which is FAR from waterproof.

Btw I NEVER trust Paneristi with their opinion..

Look here:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thre...ately+%21%21%21

Philip has an ENORMOUS amount of PAV straps (not just duplicates) and he cannot recognise the 91 which is Burgundy with wrinkles from a tan strap..

Not only that after this guillermo, another big PAV straps collector, and says that they all thought it was a 91 because he couldn't see the buckle ???????

And then Covac questions Philip when couple of hours ago he bought a BLOODY awful replica strap with suede brown colour as a PAV91 !!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353393/thre...%2A%2A%2A%2A%2A

Well I can only say one think : Most of the guys there are just bloody rich and they don't know what to do with their money and buy straps and watches...

Only few of them have a real insight on Panerai's history.

The KodiaK process is the special sea water proofing process. It is a patented process. This patent is now owned by ANONIMO. In 1996 Panerai decided to jump ship, abandoned their floretine artisans & craftsmen and moved their complete operation to Switzerland. The workers along with the help of some Florentine capital investors (like the Execs of Ferragamo) took over/bought the original PRE-V Panerai operations, including the watch case manufacturing, strap making & watch assembly process.

Only the original PAVs that have the Kodiak stamp are seawater proof, the rest are simply calf leather. After 1997 Dirk continued with Kodiak stamped straps for the bit, till he was told to stop. These are called the second generation Dirks aftermarket straps. Then he started putting stamping of sea water proof tested 7000 feet 50 Hrs. He still does the sea water proof straps but does not put the Panerai logos on the straps and buckle as that was prohibited by Panerai.

ANONIMO is the only watch brand that now has original Kodiak leather straps on their watches, as they own the patent. ANONIMO actually is the true continuation of the PRE-V Panerai watch. Cases are made by the same father & son team that did the Pre-V pam cases in their shop in the small tuscan village of Incisa. The Ciampi family makes the hand made Kodiak straps just like they did for the Pre-V panerai. The movements, crystal & dial are sourced in from Switzerland as they were for the Pre-V Panerai.

Ferrari never sold out, so why did Panerai? Answer of-course is money. I guess no Panerisiti dares to ask that question, as they will be cut-off from the supply of Special Editions.

This why IMHO Anonimo now is the true flag bearer of the original spirit of Guido Panerai & Figlio.

DSN ofcourse now is the the true panerai ;)

Forza

These are the new try out dials I have made.

I don't understand why you waste superlume on those dials.. They are not supposed to glow like that.. they shouldn't glow AT ALL !!!!!

You try to perfect the engraving, technique, text and then... it wouldn't matter if you will put superlume. :rolleyes: