When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch photography (Gold)

tonyp1

Anyone tell me how you take a pic like this?

I mean the gold on this rep looks better than any Gen Ive ever seen... So is this done with filters? Ive been wanting to take some pics of my two tts like this but I cant get anywhere close to this.

Edited by tonyp1

You need correct lighting, a decent camera (that has focus) and a lot of practice.

Neil has them all, he's a great watch photographer. Maybe the best. But the most important thing is the correct setup, it's 90% about the lighting... and understanding how the lighting works. Camera doesn't mean that much. If your lighting isn't correct you will always shoot bad and unattractive photos, no matter how expensive equipment you have.

The rest (10%) is natural talent, and an artistic eye to make an attractive photo... and also the Photoshop skills. All best watch photographers use Photoshop. People who say they do all with the lens are lying.

Gold can be very difficult to photograph......highly reflective in some ways...and absorbs a lot of light in other ways......plus getting the 'gold' tone right takes a little work....first thing I start with is a grey card reading for the exposure...or white balance reading....then I will usually find the largest area of gold and take a 'spot' reading from there and lock it...then re-adjust for the shot....!

Here's some 'goldy' shots for comparison...and hopefully to give you some inspiration....you can shoot 'gold' watches.....:D

Edited by TTK

John B Holbrook is avery good photographer.....youcando worse thantry to emulate his shots....!

Yourown shot shows a lot of improvement.......a little bit overexposed at the links at 12.....andyou've used a large aperture which is diminishing the 'sharpness across the watch"...try increasig your aperture to around f16 or so.....I regularly shoot at f32-f40...also try usingg a white card to throw more light onto the dial.

333MBWROLEXTWOTONE5.jpg

333MBWROLEXTWOTONE9.jpg

333MBWROLEXTWOTONE10.jpg

Thanks much TTK. Im using a cheap point and shoot digital. I have a old Nikon F5 film camera but its very tricky so I stick to the point and shoot. I was looking at a new Nikon D2Xs Digital but with a decent wide angle lens its more costly than a new Submariner. Id rather have the Submariner.

Edited by tonyp1