When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! Ultimate 112 Stopped Ticking!

inmotion

Hey everyone.

:( My DSN 112 stopped working today... as some of you know I recently bought it (less than a month ago).

The story is I wound it this morning, it worked fine for 30 min or so... I went to take a shower and when I came back, I noticed the spinning thing at the back where the spring is was slowing down. I thought I was just being crazy but after about another 10 min... IT STOPPED!

the weird thing is that I shook it a little and it started ticking again... but after a while.. stopped.

Any help would be appreciated :(

Thanks guys/gal

Hey everyone.

:( My DSN 112 stopped working today... as some of you know I recently bought it (less than a month ago).

I remember your review. Much less than a month ago...I'm so sorry, Inmotion. :(

About a month ago, I also had the same problem with my then 2 month-old DSN 112. However, in my case, since you weren't especially clear about this, it was a case of OVERWINDING.

Can you wind your DSN 112 at all?

Also, flip the watch to the open caseback. Do you see the the regulator blade covered by the swan neck? Like this.

casebackpam112redqn7.jpg

I've seen another DSN 112 like that. It seemed to be badly shaped, leaving a gap seen here in red.

casebackregulateurfixedxp1.jpg

When I opened the caseback and moved the swan neck side, it sprung to life momentarily (I followed other people's advice in that thread, but it didn't work). Ultimately, I took it to my local watchsmith and in less than 30 minutes, he was able to fix it.

I paid U$50 but that included some other watches too. (I wouldn't hesitate to tell Davidsen about your situation, BTW)

Good luck to you, Inmotion. Please PM in case of need!

I remember your review. Much less than a month ago...I'm so sorry, Inmotion. :(

About a month ago, I also had the same problem with my then 2 month-old DSN 112. However, in my case, since you weren't especially clear about this, it was a case of OVERWINDING.

Can you wind your DSN 112 at all?

Also, flip the watch to the open caseback. Do you see the the regulator blade covered by the swan neck? Like this.

I've seen another DSN 112 like that. It seemed to be badly shaped, leaving a gap seen here in red.

When I opened the caseback and moved the swan neck side, it sprung to life momentarily (I followed other people's advice in that thread, but it didn't work). Ultimately, I took it to my local watchsmith and in less than 30 minutes, he was able to fix it.

I paid U$50 but that included some other watches too. (I wouldn't hesitate to tell Davidsen about your situation, BTW)

Good luck to you, Inmotion. Please PM in case of need!

Those are both interesting pictures, but have nothing to do with a running problem.

For the record, it's impossible to to OVERWIND any watch, manual, auto, whatever. That is an old wives tale and simply not true, so it couldn't be the cause of your problem. Whoever told you that was blowing smoke your way...

As for the swan neck lever being out of place, that has nothing at all to do with the watch running or not. The fact you moved it and the watch started running is nothing more than a coincedance. The swan neck is only concerned with the speed of the movement, and on most models is purely a decoration, and serves no useful purpose.

Members do give out very useful and valuable information when it comes to watch problems.

But expecting to diagnose a movement issue, via the internet, without actually seeing the watch in person, is next to impossible. Just because the particular advice given didn't fix your problem, doesn't discount it's value.

It's better to discuss these issues in the open and on the forum than in private. This is how we all learn and help each other out, not on PM"s...

RG

Those are both interesting pictures, but have nothing to do with a running problem.

For the record, it's impossible to to OVERWIND any watch, manual, auto, whatever. That is an old wives tale and simply not true, so it couldn't be the cause of your problem. Whoever told you that was blowing smoke your way...

I'm sure the technicalese is lacking, but overwinding is the layman's term for when you cannot move the crown anymore, since there is resistance, indeed, it is not functional anymore.

After a few minutes, the crown can move a little, but no more. This is what is meant by overwinding, whether or not it is what professional watch repairers use. Most people on the forum understand that term.

As for the swan neck lever being out of place, that has nothing at all to do with the watch running or not. The fact you moved it and the watch started running is nothing more than a coincedance. The swan neck is only concerned with the speed of the movement, and on most models is purely a decoration, and serves no useful purpose.

Thank you for that clarification. It was not meant to suggest it was the problem. Should you have the time to read the original thread I quoted, you will perhaps see that's what I and other members said.

Members do give out very useful and valuable information when it comes to watch problems.

This is how we all learn and help each other out, not on PM"s...

The offer of a PM is a courtesy, a kindness, and a solace.

This hobby is so much more than just wheels, springs, crowns and swan necks.

It's about the comfort of knowing you have an ear to listen to you more personally, no matter what. That is what is on offer, and that is what I offered.

I hope I have made myself clearer, Inmotion.

I'm sure the technicalese is lacking, but overwinding is the layman's term for when you cannot move the crown anymore, since there is resistance, indeed, it is not functional anymore.

No technicalese is lacking at all, there is no such thing as overwinding a watch as I already stated. If you can't move the crown anymore, the watch is "Fully Wound", if it's not functioning it's defective. But it's not defective because you can't move the crown anymore, if this was true, each and every hand wind would stop running once it was fully wound.

Overwinding is the watchmakers way of lying to the layman, since it's not possible to overwind any watch...

After a few minutes, the crown can move a little, but no more. This is what is meant by overwinding, whether or not it is what professional watch repairers use. Most people on the forum understand that term.

If the watch is running, then as it runs, the mainspring unwinds, which is why you can move it again as time goes by... Most people on the forum want to understand what is really going on with their watches. Understanding that "Overwinding" is a lie, is how we help them avoid getting scammed by shoddy watchmakers.

Thank you for that clarification. It was not meant to suggest it was the problem. Should you have the time to read the original thread I quoted, you will perhaps see that's what I and other members said.

No time to go revisit the thread, sorry...

The offer of a PM is a courtesy, a kindness, and a solace.

Wow, he has a watch problem, he didn't loose a first born...I don't want someone hugging me if my watch stops working...

This hobby is so much more than just wheels, springs, crowns and swan necks.

It's about the comfort of knowing you have an ear to listen to you more personally, no matter what. That is what is on offer, and that is what I offered.

I hope I have made myself clearer, Inmotion.

While some take you up on that offer, I prefer to deal with the purpose of the forum, Replica Watches and leave my ear wispering to real in the flesh people, not via the internet where no one really knows who any of us really are, or what we are...

Enough of this off topic discussion, lets focus on what the member asked and stay on topic.

Lets hope RWG can help him get his watch fixed.

RG

You state that the swan neck in most watches is purely decorative, I assume that you are referring to some of the cheaper reps. Swan neck regulators have been used for many years and are found in some very high end in-house movements made by Lange & Sohne and Glashutte Original (to name just two :)

You state that the swan neck in most watches is purely decorative, I assume that you are referring to some of the cheaper reps. Swan neck regulators have been used for many years and are found in some very high end in-house movements made by Lange & Sohne and Glashutte Original (to name just two :)

I am indeed referring to the rep swan necks, most are purely for decoration and dont' work.

Swan necks have been around as you say for a long time and work great, just not on most of these reps...

RG

Well let me thank everyone for their input and well... its fixed!

How?

I actually don't know. Yes, I do know its a manual movement for after some shaking and hitting the sapphire glass back it just started ticking as it normally would... (mind you, that's also how i fixed my ipod, good ol' hit on the side and im saying that as an IT Admin)

anyone know what could of had been the problem?

Thanks again!

Well let me thank everyone for their input and well... its fixed!

How?

I actually don't know. Yes, I do know its a manual movement for after some shaking and hitting the sapphire glass back it just started ticking as it normally would... (mind you, that's also how i fixed my ipod, good ol' hit on the side and im saying that as an IT Admin)

anyone know what could of had been the problem?

Thanks again!

Impossible to know what the problem was/is. Watches don't fix themselves, I think your problem is going to reappear...sorry...

RG

Impossible to know what the problem was/is. Watches don't fix themselves, I think your problem is going to reappear...sorry...

RG

It never fails to amaze me when folks try to second guess the experts!!...The whole "overwound" myth has been around so long that it has become folklore...I applaud your patience The Zigmeister!!...And thank you for your sage advice.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, that sounds right, and since we've been in contact since he first posted, I PMed Inmotion cautiously so as not to rain on his relieved parade.

Turns out he's a GREAT guy, friendly as all get out, and we oddly all of us have something in common. It's been an absolute joy to have met him in the forum. This is what makes this place great.

Thanks Inmotion! Good luck and don't forget to check out the rep watches around that area. ;)

This seems to be a an issue with a number of watches from davidsen. My fiddy will still stop now and then, but a gentle slap and a backward winding bring it right back to life. This should not happen and I attribute it to something loose inside the works. At some point, I will service it, but don't want to go through the humbug of international shipping again. You are not alone with this rather annoying problem but fear not, it will fire back up with some cajolling.

No technicalese is lacking at all, there is no such thing as overwinding a watch as I already stated. If you can't move the crown anymore, the watch is "Fully Wound", if it's not functioning it's defective. But it's not defective because you can't move the crown anymore, if this was true, each and every hand wind would stop running once it was fully wound.

Overwinding is the watchmakers way of lying to the layman, since it's not possible to overwind any watch...

If the watch is running, then as it runs, the mainspring unwinds, which is why you can move it again as time goes by...

All of that I totally understand, however, I do have one question re: overwinding. Is it possible, once the crown will no longer wind, and is "Fully Wound", is it possible, if someone were to be a little clumsy or heavy-handed, for them to actually force the crown to wind further, thus causing some other kind of damage? (possibly snapping internal connections? ) Is that what people might refer to as 'over-winding'?

I'm not trying to argue anything, just better understand the expression :)

:rolleyes:

well i hope im not going to jinx it but its been running GREAT for the whole day so im all smiles

dsn told me to send it back to him for service but since its running now i emailed him telling im i wont be sending it back

victoria was also kind enough to help me look through potential potential watchsmitchs where i could bring my watch so once more,

thanks victoria for everything!

and hambone, how do you "reverse wind"? do you just literally turn crown the other way?thanks!

Edited by inmotion

Guest watchbuff

My DSN is running 100% perfect. (111H ultra modded)

The only problem i had tis that it stareted running 20 minute sfast per day and that was remedied in 30 secnond by my watch maker mentor nazi guru.

I was subjected to a high magnetic field ( not an MRI) but in the gamma range and it started there. Still debateable here on what went wrong but my watchmaker master is never wrong.

Did I mention he is one of the few that still stocks hard to find accutron parts and I apprenticed for a short time there and learned a great deal

I would send it back and get a new one even if it has started to run properly again. Davidsen has put the offer on the table to return it now. Sure the watch runs okay now, but as many others have said the problem will probably return, whether it be a day later or a year later, and at that point you will be stuck.