When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

older SD to newly recieved SD

lanikai

A comparative review has been done I'm sure.. just to tired to look for it .. but this came today and the older version was had about a year 1/2 ago .. there is a big difference .. Is the "ultimate" SD passable to the eperts here on the Forum.. don't hold back .. I'd really like to know what you guy's think..

thanks

Lani

post-2172-1196303604_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1196303504_thumb.jpg

I am not an expert on modern Seadwellers, but of the 2, and based on fit & finish of each watch in your pictures, the 1 on the right appears to have the least objectionable sins to me. Both would probably pass for gens on the street unless they were inspected by someone who knows what to look for (and I do not mean the average gen owner, who usually knows little beyond the name on the dial).

The one on the left is the new one u can see the crown etched on the crystal.....whats up with all that dust or lint on the crystal is that inside or outside

I do not believe the crown etching should be visible from that distance (it is generally difficult to see without magnification and/or a nearby & direct light source). A visible etching is usually one of the indicators of a fake Rolex and one of the reasons I recommended the watch on the right.

LOL, I was thinking that the SSD was the watch on the left in the second picture. Somewhat better pearl, the newer more triangular 4 on the bezel insert. Taller crown on the dial. Can you see a lug hole on the lower left lug on the watch on the right?

Neither the insert nor the pearl are very good, so I just assumed that these would be replaced either way, which leaves the core parts for comparison.

Yes, I do see the a lug hole, but I think there is some cross-over of holes vs non-holes in some of these later models (I think I have seen these with lug holes on TZ, but, again, I am not an expert on these modern models, so take my comments with a grain of salt). The overall dial printing & date font looks better on the right, as do the CGs and crown. So that one, even though far from perfect, got my vote.

I owned the old TW best SD which looks identical to yours on the right. it was a nice enough watch but was far from being an accurate reproduction. It used the same case as the Sub with the addition of a thick case back. The crystal height was too shallow and used the Sub's bezel. The dial print was quite good but the pimple hour markers bothered the heck out of me.

The new SSD looks superior based on the photos I've seen and some of the problems can be easily addressed. I have not the opportunity to hold the new SSD but gen owners have reported they are quite impressed with it, which hopefully means something. B)

The one on the left is the new one u can see the crown etched on the crystal.....whats up with all that dust or lint on the crystal is that inside or outside

give the man a cigar!! and the crystal is much higher on the "ultimate" (that's if in fact it is the Ultimate) juries still out on that on ?

dust is on inside.. Mangoe season here in Hawaii plus I live next to Diamond Head.. (the crater).. the trade winds blow(it's a good thing).. lotta dust here.. allergies run crazy :Jumpy: