When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the best way to change straps on Luminor without scratching lugs or anything else?

DemonSlayer

Hey guys, I'm wondering what do all of you guys do to carefully change straps without scratching any lugs or the case by avoiding slippage of the screwdriver.

I scratched the bottom lug on my Pam111h on the first day i got it :angry: So im hoping to pick up some pointers :)

thanks.

Edited by DemonSlayer

:D cheers TeeJay for that one, but im thinking it might be a bit difficult to support the watch using that method. Once i scratched my bottom one I got some blue tack and stuck it around the lug hole on the top hole to avoid getting that one scratched as well :lol:

Oh TeeJay, that tip you gave me about removing the scratch, that would work if it was brushed but my one is polished :(

Nice PVD 111g by the way :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by DemonSlayer

The best method is to make sure to use a proper screwdriver for the job. Make sure it just fits in the opening. Too small of a head and the screwdriver will tend to slip around. Too large and you risk the same problem or widening the hole.

Now that's not to say you can't ever use either of these "other" screwdrivers. It just means that if you are starting out, get the proper size one. Then when you get more skilled you can use other ones or even a paperclip in a pinch.

Guest watchbuff

Proper size screwdriver, and place clear scotch tape over the whole thing and poke trough to the slot on the screwhead, and back it off, the tape will provide minimal protection if you slip.

:D cheers TeeJay for that one, but im thinking it might be a bit difficult to support the watch using that method. Once i scratched my bottom one I got some blue tack and stuck it around the lug hole on the top hole to avoid getting that one scratched as well :lol:

Oh TeeJay, that tip you gave me about removing the scratch, that would work if it was brushed but my one is polished :(

Nice PVD 111g by the way :thumbsupsmileyanim:

No problem :) It's really not too difficult to support the watch with your free hand, just a case of turning it round to 'pinch' the other lug :) For further support, you could always rest the watch on a towel on your lap (incase you drop the screw/bar)

Ahh, indeed, that won't work for polished, but, as suggested, Cape Cod cloth should take care of that :)

PS If you could edit your post to remove my given name, I'd really appreciate it. I've seen the effects of cyber-stalking, and am always wary about having my name used on open forums :) Thanks in advance, amigo :)

Just like Teejay and Kruzer said...

...and those spring bars...hmm, never like them actually, just don't like the feeling of springbars rotating inside the lugs all the time, that's all :)

babola

Dont be silly. I cant feel these things and springbars that look like screws are easily the best way to avoid scratches and get straos changed fast and clean,,,,

The correct size screw driver, a pair of magnifying glasses, as those suckers are tiny, hard to see, hence the scrathes, and a steady hand. Also, if you put cushion in a small vise and gently hold the watch in place, no prob. Don't change straps after a twelve pack.

Agree,

nice pair of Bergeon srewdrivers. Personally i always use the 1,7mm (purple) one.

Indeed don't do the changing job when you had some drinks.

About the springbars, i think they are a good solution when your thread is damaged but i personally don't like them because they don't perfecrly fit is a screw does.

Cats