When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for a gen...

evilboy

Hi all,

I am looking for a gen...

I've been thinking. I want something cool and unique. Not something that is just "expensive" and a watch but something that is different from what everyone is looking for. Know what I mean? But still can be worn with a suit. I am not looking for a status piece so much as a good conversation piece. Sometimes finding a good deal is a better conversation starter than just looking like a jackass who had a little bit of money to burn. So, I mean I would like an interesting piece that has good value (quality/cost)

any ideas? (around 3000$ budget)? thanks for help!

Edited by evilboy

As much as I would like to help you, I always find these 'What should I buy....' posts a waste of time because I have absolutely no idea what you like. Your best bet would be to visit some ADs or peruse ebay watch listings to get an idea of the types of watches you like (modern vs vintage, high tech vs classic, sophisticated vs simple, multi-colored vs monochrome, etc.) and then post a list of the types or models of watches you like along with a description or photo of your style of dress. That way, people can offer you useful advice.

Hi all,

I am looking for a gen...

I've been thinking. I want something cool and unique. Not something that is just "expensive" and a watch but something that is different from what everyone is looking for. Know what I mean? But still can be worn with a suit. I am not looking for a status piece so much as a good conversation piece. Sometimes finding a good deal is a better conversation starter than just looking like a jackass who had a little bit of money to burn. So, I mean I would like an interesting piece that has good value (quality/cost)

any ideas? (around 3000$ budget)? thanks for help!

There is a very nice Cartier Mens Tank Francaise Automatic over on TZ for $2.6k....classic piece...

Finally, a question I have some authority on! haha! I came here to learn about reps, but I do know a great deal about a wide variety of gens. I would try a brand called Tourneau. THey have some REALLY unique watches, that can still look good with a suit. The price ranges from about $2000-$5000 (and sometimes you can find preowned for a little less).

They do have a GREAT line of original watches with a really unique starburst-style face in the $3000-$4000 range.

Here is one:

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Main/Cata...ion~Gotham.aspx

Here is another neat one in that classique Breguet style:

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Main/Cata...TRW0100005.aspx

Here is the website:

http://www.tourneau.com/Tourneau/Main/Cata...s/Tourneau.aspx

THey do have a few collections (like the safari) that you can tell are moddled after another brand, Breitling in this case, but if you stick with an original, you will get a great destinctive watch at a decent price. The Gotham collection is really nice IMO and very unique. Good luck and hope I helped!

I would look around for a Blancpain.

Currently this brand is (almost) not replicated, and even so the reps existing are rare and very very poor. It is also one of the oldest and devoted manufacturers of the classic art of horology, considering they are yet to make a quartz model.

I certainly aspire to own a high-end gen one day, and if I ever justify blowing $3000 on a watch for myself as opposed to something actually useful or family-oriented, it would be a BP hands down.

Subtle, classic, and amazingly beautiful. Check out the retrogation seconds models... I could stare at them endlessly.

Good luck.