When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Crown won't screw in on Submariner.

I've had the $200 Rolex Sub from Josh for about 10 months. For the last month, I've been having difficulty screwing the crown down. It usually takes a little while and I'm able to, but now it just spins and spins. I have a feeling something is stripped. I took it to a local watch repair shop, and he told me he couldn't get replacement parts because it was a replica. I was wondering if anyone here would be able to work on it, and roughly how much it would cost. Thanks!!!

crown_assembly1.jpg

Your tube is probably stripped -- a common problem on rep watches. You can check with the seller to see if they will sell you another tube (it will probably also fail soon after replacement). If not, your options are to replace the tube & crown with a matching set of genuine Rolex parts, which is a popular mod for Sub reps (the Rolex parts can usually be found on ebay & the pair should cost around $80-$100), or replace the watch.

You may have to tap (re thread) out the case to take the rolex tube, if you look at cousinsuk.com they have aftermarket tubes and crowns that should fit and would also be cheeper than the real stuff and the quality should be fine. have a good search about and there will be piles of info about new tubes and crowns, as to if any one can do the work for you, no idea but it is a good plase to start if you feel adventurous.

So would the genuine tube and crown fit, or would modifications be necessary?

The gen crown/tube should fit, but you will probably have to tap the hole to fit the gen tube (since the threads often differ between the rep & gen tubes)

590822.jpg

To make the task easier, you might also pick up a Rolex tube tool (this fits into the splines inside the Rolex tube & makes installation a very simple process, but rep tubes usually do not have any inner splines, so I usually use a small 3-sided jeweler's file wedged into the original rep tube to remove it)

590816.jpg

I would use a small dab of GC Hypo cement on the tube threads to add some additional sealing between the case & tube

120205.jpg

Install the tube snugly, but NOT tight or it will break/snap off in the case. This is one of those things that is impossible to explain. If you have never installed a tube before, I would try to locate a scrap case and an extra aftermarket tube from ofrei.com (they are not that expensive) & practice on that before risking damage to your rep. Experience is the only way I know of to learn the difference between properly snug & too tight.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. I bought a new genuine tube and crown on eBay, and the seller installed the new parts. The watch is running great now, and the crown screws in!!! Now I have another question. When he sent the watch back, he included a print out of a pressure test. Could someone please interpret these numbers for me?

Test 1:

Test pressure: -0.4 bar

Maximum deformation: -004.2 u

Tightness value: +3.5% /min

Test 2:

Test pressure: 3.0 bar

Maximum deformation: +028.8 u

Tightness value: +5.4% /min