When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chopard MM GT XL Chrono Ultimate Edition vs Ver.2

PureTime

Read about the recent discussion about the new Chopard MM GT XL Chrono so I would like to point you the way =)

There are 2 versions of Chopard MM GT XL Chrono in the market, let's call them Ver.1 and Ver.2, Ver.1 is completely crappy, with incorrect date position and the caseback engraving is awful, here are some scans:

CP-GTXLC-SE-02.jpg

CP-GTXLC-SE-03.jpg

CP-GTXLC-SE-04.jpg

And the Ver.2 is made quite well but still far away from perfect, they moved the date window to the correct position and made a very well rotor!!! This is the most promising part on Ver.2!! I did not post any of these on the forums because I knew (more than half a year ago) the HBB maker is making the ultimate edition already, so I wait... and now finally I got some samples and took some comparison pics between the Ver.2 and the Ultimate edition, and I will led you to see the differences between them, I chose the limited edition as this project's object to have more details to explain the differences, let's start!

First the front view, too small, cannot see clearly, let's zoom in.... the ultimate edition on top

CP-01.jpg

CP-02.jpg

Ok, see the differences? Ultimate edition on top, too many differences, but mainly pay attention to the subdials, the BIG "12" and "6" printed on the crystal and ... the Anti-Reflective Coating! The ultimate edition has a blue tint on the crystal because it is single AR coated (I see some dealers say it is double AR coated:shh: But it is understandable becauase the AR is really superb! Hope they will correct this later:lol: ).

CP-03.jpg

CP-04.jpg

These 2 pics show the cyclops and the datewheel printing difference, Ultimate edition on top, something you cannot see here, the ultimate edition has the cyclops and crystal in ONE PIECE but the Ver.2's cyclops is stick on the crystal so you can see the magnifying power is very much different! The date printing on the UE is very much better than the V2. Also see the dial printing, the V2 has wrong font used. Please also take a look at the inner bezel height, the V2 is toooo high, the UE has a low angle inner bezel.

CP-05.jpg

CP-06.jpg

OK, UE on top, something you may not notice, the crystal design is completely wrong on V2 (or maybe it is difficult and expensive to make it right). Look at the dial at an angle of about 160 degrees and we can still read the dial of the UE very clearly, but the V2... let the pic speaks...

CP-07.jpg

CP-08.jpg

2 pics show the texture of the dials, UE on top

CP-09.jpg

CP-10.jpg

Side view and crown engraving, UE on top, the crown engraving is much clearer on the UE than the V2.

CP-11.jpg

CP-12.jpg

As the V2 has not finished the limited edition caseback yet so they are still using the display caseback, let's see how good the solid caseback of the UE, acording to the maker, it is 99.99% same as the genuine, even the depth of the engraving

CP-13.jpg

This ultimate replica is releasing about the end of December, unfortunately we cannot wear this beauty during Christmas, we will all wait for the factory to make it perfect before releasing, we have patience :D

Lord,

If you campare it with the gen photo on my topic, the UE is closer!

Is it just me or is the "12" and "6" better on ver. 2 than the ultimate? Other than that the ultimate is far superior, especially the fonts.

This last version is much nicer .. but... how can it be named as Ultimate ? it still have a lot of flaws !!!

From a quick look:

gt2007genrepct4.jpg

gt2007genrep2ze7.jpg

Maybe you are correct! But the pics you referred were from the official web-site which may not be the same as the final products on the market, the maker bought the Limited Edition to make this replica so the Limited Edition should look better. Anyways this is only a sample and I hope the final thing will be better.

I will show your pics to the maker and see if he missed anything, thank you for your efforts!

Nice watch.

But looks like these subdial rings should really be a bit darker... here is a gen pic:

chopard_image.405616.jpg

And the wrist should be 29.7 mm bigger, too. :lol:

I can live every flaw except for the subdial rings being PVD'd and the LUC engraving..the date font can be fixed, nobody has the ref # memorized, and the marker depth is a 10X flaw only. I bet they'll never fixed the inner bezel ring, but if that's a deal breaker you'll need to buy gen to be happy anyway.

ON Edit: if there is a black dial version of the gen, maybe that will solve both the subdial ring and inner bezel colors anyway since on a black dial the subdial rings will probably be silver and the inner bezel will be black....I hope.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...