When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question on Gen Omega

dudeman

Hey Dudeman,

It's come down to a number of intangible things including romance and history.

Some people like the fact that their watch is fully mechanical and void of all electronics and batteries. They like the idea that their watch is a living breathing piece of art that has both a proven pedigree and a rich history.

Even though the mechanical watch requires servicing every five years or so, some people just love the sound of the second hand beating eight times in one second and the knowledge that if all technology fails, as long as they keep ticking so will their watch.

Then there is the Quartz which in itself is an incredible achievement. Most would argue that a Quartz is by far the superior time keeper, they are in most cases more accurate than their mechanical counterparts. They lack the soul of the mechanical watch however and I think this is the crux of the debate.

I think I remember someone putting it like this, if you love the romantic heritage and you're not pedantic about the exact time and you want a pet watch, buy a mechanical. If however you want a very accurate no fuss time keeper, buy the quartz.

Mechanicals are the type of watches that get passed on from father to son. Which is why I bought a 2254.50.

Edited by Greystash

thanks greystash - good reply!

the price difference is considerable and the service cost is a real issue for me. I would much prefer the mechanical but just cant afford it. Perhaps i should save a bit harder!

i wish my father was into timepieces and had something to give to me. I really like the idea of being given a watch but just dont know anyone rich enough to give me a SMP - maybe i will start the trend!!

Ick.

Some quartz movements are quite cool in their function, and can even be more complicated in their own right than some other mechanicals... Rolex Oyster-Quartz were for most parts identical to their mechanical counterparts, although running at a different speed with an electronic engine... Ronda moonphase (an example I have used before, but it's one of the best, but they don't stay in my collection long) others are fairly decent for their application... Citizen/Miyota OS 20 Chronos... (very nice for affordable low-mid range chronos), old Hamilton Electrics are amazing works, considering the state of technology at the time they were produced, making them very worthwhile, as are the 'other' (American) 'space watch,' the Bulova Accutron, but

Modern No Date, Date and Day-Date quartz are bargain basement... SWATCH type crap, with NO POTENTIAL for continued investment value other than the occasional "THEME" watch that may or may not be sought after in the future (Bond Omega, maybe, but it will never, EVER have the same cach

thanks greystash - good reply!

the price difference is considerable and the service cost is a real issue for me. I would much prefer the mechanical but just cant afford it. Perhaps i should save a bit harder! SNIP

If you can afford to buy a Quartz, you can afford the Mechanical, it's just a matter of time.

dudeman, it seems clear to me that you have answered your own question. You much prefer the mechanical so that is what you should save for; or forget luxury watches altogether.

Do you want to look at your watch and be reminded of what you settled for?

Or do you want to look down, smile, and be proud of what you've earned?

don't really understand the romance about the rep mechanical movements.

used movements are not really state of the art.

movements used are not very expensive.

chances are slim they run exactly on time.

the powerreserve last only a day or so.

so you continuously are resetting the time and date unless you have a watch winder.

wonder if you could recognise what's in it from the outside.

these reps are still make beleive watches.

just bought a PO 45 eta and a SFSO eta recently.

I'm very happy with them but one is running +10 secs per day the other -5secs per day.

I switch watches each day. Sometimes the powerreserve is just enough but most of the times I have to reset the time each morning.

In my eyes when it comes to mechanical vs quartz it depends what I will do with it. I used to wear my gen Rolex's at the golf course for alot of yrs. Problem was I would always have some that would lose time. When I sat down to think about it I hit about 650 balls a day 6 days a week. So for that reason I will buy a quartz watch if I will wear it on the course and a mechanical if I wont be. I also have a tendency to throw the watch in the little ball area of the golf cart and I just think it is not as hard on the wallet to lose a quartz. I also like the fact I dont have to worry about them losing time if I shove them in a drawer for a few months.

I think the quartz is something simple for day to day use if you will bash it around in a careless and wreckless manner. Now my dad did use his gen orange hand explorer when he layed the brick for the garage.. But that is another story for another day

In my eyes when it comes to mechanical vs quartz it depends what I will do with it. I used to wear my gen Rolex's at the golf course for alot of yrs. Problem was I would always have some that would lose time. When I sat down to think about it I hit about 650 balls a day 6 days a week. So for that reason I will buy a quartz watch if I will wear it on the course and a mechanical if I wont be. I also have a tendency to throw the watch in the little ball area of the golf cart and I just think it is not as hard on the wallet to lose a quartz. I also like the fact I dont have to worry about them losing time if I shove them in a drawer for a few months.

I think the quartz is something simple for day to day use if you will bash it around in a careless and wreckless manner. Now my dad did use his gen orange hand explorer when he layed the brick for the garage.. But that is another story for another day

Hey striker,

I was about to disagree with you and say that they are made to handle general shock in sport; but 3900 shocks a week? That is not something I would want an expensive chronometer to be enduring.

Having said that though, I was finally convinced to by mine by a bricklayer who said he wears his to work everyday.

Leaving it laying around though, that's yet another story and a point well made.