When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Platinum Vs Stainless Steal

todtracy

Only problem with the pictures is the right picture is way brighter then the left... But the watch on the left is just as shiny. Makes it a little easier to tell them its the plat. I would guess if you took the same picture side by side in the same lighting the differance is pronounced. Not to say I think the rolex is worth 30k, just this isnt a fair comparison.

Ok, people spend $30,000 on platinum watch, does it make a better watch than stainless steal? Can you tell in this pic which one is platinum?

Platinum is a valuable metal, more expensive than gold and silver, let alone stainless steel.

It is also a lot heavier, and a lot tougher and stronger than gold or silver. If I had a choice, I'd always take platinum over white gold, as white gold needs periodic rhodium plating to keep it's shine, whereas platinum deforms differently to gold.

Hope that helps. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Also, with stainless steel, I think only R*l*x use a different grade of this to everyone else. I think it's 916L (some 9 number anyway) which has a much higher nickel content to others, but also provides that R*l*x shine. It's also more expensive than the 316 or 404 (forget the exact numbers) used in most watches, and even by other high end watch companies.

myself i have never felt like i needed yo own anything other than stainless if it is silver in color. i think it looks just as good. and it is more durable. for me to see it i really have to see them side by side to tell the diffrence. i don't think it is worth the money. now some nice rose gold is another story. lol

I have a 18k white gold wedding band... big mistake, whish I got it in platinum. after getting it, I had to have it replated after 6 months, now it's about every year. Truly a PITA!

I am thinking about getting it redone in platinum.

I have a 18k white gold wedding band... big mistake, whish I got it in platinum. after getting it, I had to have it replated after 6 months, now it's about every year. Truly a PITA!

I am thinking about getting it redone in platinum.

Yes, Platinum or Yellow Gold is Best...

'White Gold' is a rip-off,.. just a plated product.

The only metals that have true color are Gold and Copper,.. all other metals are either

white or grey, like iron, silver, nickel ect,

So when gold is mixed with these other metals, it loses it's sheen, turns from silver-yellow,

to grey to grey gold, thus it must be plated to give it sheen, otherwise it would be a very diffucult sell.

Red Gold or Pink Gold, is also just a pollution of yellow gold, with cheap copper...

introduced as women's gold,.. it's simply a scheme to increase profit margins..

http://www.gold.org/jewellery/technology/alloys/index.html

I have a platinum wedding band it definitely feels heavier than a comparable gold band. Pure platinum is 11% more dense than pure gold, but most gold jewelery is not pure where platinum is.

Here's an interesting fact: one cubic foot weighs a little more than 1,330 pounds. A cubic foot is about the size of a small microwave. HEAVY stuff.

http://www.timezone.com/library/archives/a...703251272822958

Another article on gold from timezone.

I don't really see why rose gold would be considered a "polluted" form of yellow gold, other than based on one's own preferences. Yellow gold is made by combining gold with zinc, copper and silver, just the same as rose gold. It's just a different composition of alloy. Yellow gold and rose gold are worth the same carat for carat.

Even with 18kt yellow gold, the alloy mix can be adjusted. So just because your rep dealer says something is 18kt gold that doesn't necessarily mean it will be an exact color match to the gen.

Price notwithstanding, a full platinum watch would be pretty cool to have.

Edited by kanerich

I don't really see why rose gold would be considered a "polluted" form of yellow gold, other than based on one's own preferences. Yellow gold is made by combining gold with zinc, copper and silver, just the same as rose gold. It's just a different composition of alloy. Yellow gold and rose gold are worth the same carat for carat.

Even with 18kt yellow gold, the alloy mix can be adjusted. So just because your rep dealer says something is 18kt gold that doesn't necessarily mean it will be an exact color match to the gen.

i have held a gen, platinum totally iced out president in my hand before in 1982 and it was heavier than any thing i had ever held that size. it was amazing. and for all of you that hate iced out rollys, it was absolutly the most beautiful peice of jewlery i have ever seen. i think people don't understand that a watch like that is not a watch. it is a peice of jewlery. it was completly covered with diamonds, dial. case, all of the links on the band, even the hands were covered diamond chips. in 1982 it sold for $97,000.00. they had pulled from the safe to prepare it to be picked up by the man that had bought it. he was on his way there and they let me look at it before he got there. i will never forget that as long as i live. really though, other than the weight and knowing that it was solid platinum it just looked like stainless steal. as far as white gold i don't know why anybody would have trouble with it. my mother's wedding rings are 18k white gold and she has been waring them for 64 years now and they still look the same other than being thinner in the back than they used to be.

Actually, the reflectance spectra of rhodium, typically plated over white gold due its hardness, and common polished SS are very close each other, which causes that they look quite similar. The weight of 18 kt gold alloy is the main difference, almost everything else is hard to testify only with our electromagnetic sense (not a spectroscopical instrument).

Edited by Cosmo

Maybe it is a 'personal preference' however Rose gold was introduced for the female market

originally named 'Pink Gold'.

Yellow gold is Not Created,... you mean it's combined with other substances to harden it..

Copper is a cheap, common substance,.. thus my term 'polluted'

As far as 18k yellow and 18k Pink being the same 'worth', I view that as a scheme to give us less

for more money..

Maybe it is a 'personal preference' however Rose gold was introduced for the female market

originally named 'Pink Gold'.

Yellow gold is Not Created,... you mean it's combined with other substances to harden it..

Copper is a cheap, common substance,.. thus my term 'polluted'

As far as 18k yellow and 18k Pink being the same 'worth', I view that as a scheme to give us less

for more money..

I'm not going to argue with your preferences. My point was merely that gold alloys are valued for their gold content, and it would cost basically the same amount to make 18kt rose gold as 18kt yellow gold of the same quantity. It's a rational assessment and I don't see why you should take it personally. After all, I don't take it personally that you made up some stuff I didn't say in order to explain it away.

Nowadays, yellow gold looks too gaudy to me. Pink/Rose gold looks classier, and is not as common, so maybe that's why it looks more attractive.

I think pure gold with no additives is actually a green colour, and the metal is relatively soft. The yellow comes from the additives to make it harder and stronger.

I think pure gold with no additives is actually a green colour, and the metal is relatively soft. The yellow comes from the additives to make it harder and stronger.

Wrong..... It's actually a very dark yellow colour, it actually looks like the colour of bad plated gold reps. I have a few Canadian Maple Leaf Gold Coins, which are .9999 purity, and they are yellow in color. I also have some 24K gold jewellery, and it's also a very dark yellow, almost orange like colour.

I read that 18K is designed to provide to psychological effect of what most people think pure gold looks like actually, since most people think gold is a brighter yellow. Of course, it's also a lot harder and durable, since 24K is way too easy to bend, scratch or break. I remember breaking my mom's 24K gold necklace when I was little, I tugged on it and snap, it came apart. :bleh:

Yes, it is a very dark gold color, my wife and I have lots of Thai gold which is 999 pure...

Pure gold is very maleable and can break very easily. 18 and 22k gold is much stronger, but it loses the real gold color and is yellow in comparison.