When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decisions, Decisions...

rmcsherry

I've been reading the forums for a few months and having just got back from Italy, I am ready to buy my first Panerai! I know this is a very 'newbie' topic, but I value any opinions as I don't want to waste my money. The two watches I'd love would be the 111 (or similar - e.g. 177) or a fiddy, although I also like the simplicity of the Marina Militaire.

I've done some research, and it looks like I can pick up a more accurate 111H for less money - I'd rather not spend $300+ just yet. I don't mind sacrificing the swan neck for a reasonable saving, so are there any cheaper 127's available that are reasonably accurate and a good investment? The other concern is that the 127 would be a very big 'first'; I've got a 45mm watch that feels very large, so would the extra 2mm for the fiddy be the straw that broke the camels back?!

Finally, what are your opinions on private sales? I could get more for my money this way, but going through a dealer gives peace-of-mind and sometimes a guarantee when things go wrong... do any of you have experience to compare dealer/private sales? I'd appreciate any helpful comments to 'aid' my decision! Thanks.

Edited by rmcsherry

I've been looking around, and am very tempted by the 1950 for sale by Sichuan at $155. I'm a bit confused, as he offers photos on other forums with a clear back, but the descrition states it's solid. Has anyone owned one of these? I know it's certainly not perfect, but I'd rather save $200 until I am certain that a 47mm is for me!

The other one I am interested in (partly because of its low price) is from Paul - I've heard very mixed reviews about him, and the watch looks nice but I don't know what model it is, so have no basis for comparison. I'm guessing at the price, it's going to be hideously innacurate and have lower build quality? Again, I'd really appreciate any comments on this one before I buy anything I'll regret!

68052-33325.jpg

Thanks for reading.

...am very tempted by the 1950 for sale by Sichuan at $155. I'm a bit confused, as he offers photos on other forums with a clear back, but the descrition states it's solid. Has anyone owned one of these?

I have one, and I like it, it does have a display caseback, with the Chinese Unitas clone... overall quality has been good, BUT the crown guard assembly is noticably more flimsy than an earlier 47mm I bought from Paul. Due to some less than favorable reviews about Paul, and serious delays in his response to emails, I have been reluctant to purchase from him again.

Overall, it is a good deal at $155, if you could get it from Sichuan.

that model does not exist in real life

it is a luminor case with a radiomir dial. pretty much a dealbreaker if you're going for authenticity

Thanks for that, that's what I'd guessed but my knowledge of Panerai's leaves a lot to be desired!

Infinitime, I noticed that Paul has the fiddy on his site for $149 and just assumed it would be the same one as Sichuan. I'll read some more reviews, but I think you're right - a reputable dealer is probably the safest and easiest option. The other thing I wondered is what is the strap like? I know most fiddys come with a very similar strap as standard, and the photos make it look very plasticy and cheap - does anyone know if any dealers are generally willing to change the strap for a small fee? I guess if not there is always the option to add it to the classified section of this site and buy a nice BOB strap!

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated.

that model does not exist in real life

it is a luminor case with a radiomir dial. pretty much a dealbreaker if you're going for authenticity

Actually, it does exist. Historically, the Radiomir and Luminor nomenclature referred to the luminous materials of the watch, and not the case shape/type as we know them to represent today.

Here is a genuine 6152-1 with a Radiomir signed dial...

68375-33277.jpg

68375-33278.jpg

68375-33279.jpg

68375-33280.jpg

68375-33281.jpg

68375-33282.jpg

68375-33283.jpg

Edited by ubiquitous

Guest shura110

Actually I ordered the same one that on the picture from PureTime. If you like the look of fiddy but something smaller it's a great alternative. Just my 2 cents.

You may want to try silix-prime.com too.. they have cheap prices and a friend was very happy with the Asian Unitas version of the PAM111H.

Actually I ordered the same one that on the picture from PureTime. If you like the look of fiddy but something smaller it's a great alternative. Just my 2 cents.

What size is that suppose to be. mmmm I've been dyin to get a Fiddy, but I got puny wrist :lol:

Actually, it does exist. Historically, the Radiomir and Luminor nomenclature referred to the luminous materials of the watch, and not the case shape/type as we know them to represent today.

I'm fully aware of the historical paint names; however, in the context of this fellow's question, it seemed more relevant to note that, as he was looking for a 1950, this is not an accurate replica, and would not be without serious distressing and aging; and even then, it would be the wrong size...

I just got my first PAM - a 005 w/logo & new case back from Andrew. New to PAM's and I too did not want to spend a lot on my first one until it got some wrist time. Loved the dial layout on the 005. It's even cheaper with the earlier case back, but I thought the price was right, and I put on a Toscana Capriccio Brown strap from Elliott at TC (nice discount) and now I don't want to take it off my wrist. Starting to plan my next PAM purchase one week later, an 063 GMT from Davidsen coming out soon.... Anyway, glad I went with the 005 and Andrew for my first one: great watch, great dealer and great price. I just hope the fever I'm feeling dies down. B)

honestly, as a lover of panerai, i can't recommend that you go with the big daddy right off the bat. if you do, you should know that you won't ever look at the sub-47mm cases the same way again.

nonetheless the fiddy is amazing. and yes the strap that comes with it is one step above plastic -that is not a compliment mind you. but don't go messing with having the dealer change the strap or the like - it's hardly worth the hassle. also some members have had luck with distressing the rep strap and have found it to be more than acceptable once distressed (if you like that sort of thing).

there are so many great options out there with the pams that it is honestly tough to go wrong. good luck to ya.

Trusty has just posted a very similar watch on his site, claiming it to be the as yet unrealeased Radomir 2006. It's got a swiss unitas and sapphire front and back, other than that they appear to be copies of the same watch. And it kind of reminds me of the Luminor Panerai in the historic section of the Panerai catalogue, by far the best looking watch in there!

I think I'll settle with the Radomir at the moment, I think more money spent on a Fiddy will be worth it later on. Damn you guys... I came here to find out how to remove the crystal of a cheap rep, and have been sucked in!

I've been looking at the 203 as well - Silix states that it's a 47mm with plexi-glass, and that no sapphire crystal is available for this model (and to be wary of any dealers that say otherwise). Paul says otherwise...

I've had a plexiglass watch before, it was horrible - are they all like this? A Panerai with a plastic 'crystal' seems a bit like a ferrari with 14" hubcaps.