When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swapping Cases

the_man

So I purchased a Pam 165 that comes with a polished SS case, bezel and crown guard. However the genuine has a brused titanium case. Would it be possible to swap the case from another 44mm Pam and still use the polished SS bezel and crown guard form the watch I purchased? I orignally put this in the other Q&A forum but I see that this deals with mods. Sorry , as you can see under my name, I'm still "getting to know the place."

So I purchased a Pam 165 that comes with a polished SS case, bezel and crown guard. However the genuine has a brused titanium case. Would it be possible to swap the case from another 44mm Pam and still use the polished SS bezel and crown guard form the watch I purchased? I orignally put this in the other Q&A forum but I see that this deals with mods. Sorry , as you can see under my name, I'm still "getting to know the place."

I'm not 100% sure how the bezels attach to the 44mm panerai, but they snap right off of the 47mm versions. So swapping the movement, crown guard, and possibly the bezel shouldn't be a problem. That is assuming the cases are made from the same factory!

Best way to know is to try!

Jon

I'm not 100% sure how the bezels attach to the 44mm panerai, but they snap right off of the 47mm versions. So swapping the movement, crown guard, and possibly the bezel shouldn't be a problem. That is assuming the cases are made from the same factory!

Jon

But often the most expensive way :whistling:

I've gotten the same idea of buidling a correct 165. Please note that the correct dial version just comes with that cheap 21j. mvt. The dial fits the asian and also the swiss 7550. Swapp it and throw the asian mvt. away. :D But the feet of the dial have to be cut off (wrong position).

By the moment I am trying to build an accurate Arktos. Same problem: Best case and dial version come with the cheap 21j. watches. My problem is that I don't know how to fix the bigger 7750. Maybe the height of the mvt. will be a problem, too. I'll try to find out but maybe somebody can help?

Jon

The bezels are attached the same way as the fiddy so there is no problem !

But often the most expensive way :whistling:

I've gotten the same idea of buidling a correct 165. Please note that the correct dial version just comes with that cheap 21j. mvt. The dial fits the asian and also the swiss 7550. Swapp it and throw the asian mvt. away. :D But the feet of the dial have to be cut off (wrong position).

By the moment I am trying to build an accurate Arktos. Same problem: Best case and dial version come with the cheap 21j. watches. My problem is that I don't know how to fix the bigger 7750. Maybe the height of the mvt. will be a problem, too. I'll try to find out but maybe somebody can help?

Actually shutlz the correct dial is on the 7750. On the 21j the "l swiss made l" is under the six. This would be correct if this were the previous version ( Pam 91 ) but the " l swiss made l " was moved outside of the 6 for the 165.

That is exactly what I have in mind to modify the 165 SS case to Titanium. One point I notice is 165 automatic case is thicker than the manual movement case. So, first step is to find correct thickness Titanium case.

Anyone know which one is? :g:

That is exactly what I have in mind to modify the 165 SS case to Titanium. One point I notice is 165 automatic case is thicker than the manual movement case. So, first step is to find correct thickness Titanium case.

Anyone know which one is? :g:

Strangely Andrew has the 165 listed as 12mm thick while the titanium unitas and lemania 44mm pams are listed as 12.5mm. The case for the 177 looks the same as the 165. After talking to Jos he says he can build a custom 165 using the 177, however the bezel and crown guard will also be titanium. Anyways I've already got a 165 so its too late and too pricey to go that route. If you haven't ordered a 165 I'd talk to Jos about the custom one. Its alot easier to switch the bezel and crown guard then to switch the case.

Strangely Andrew has the 165 listed as 12mm thick while the titanium unitas and lemania 44mm pams are listed as 12.5mm. The case for the 177 looks the same as the 165. After talking to Jos he says he can build a custom 165 using the 177, however the bezel and crown guard will also be titanium. Anyways I've already got a 165 so its too late and too pricey to go that route. If you haven't ordered a 165 I'd talk to Jos about the custom one. Its alot easier to switch the bezel and crown guard then to switch the case.

Well, I'm in the same position as you are. I have already got the 165 in SS. I would have to get rid of my 165 before getting new one.

As a matter of fact, I actually like my 165. It keeps time very well with the Asian 7750 movement. I will probably spend money on getting different model instead.