When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Andrew Perfect Sub

jmjm

Okay.

On my recommendation, I influenced a friend to order a perfect sub from Andrew. He received it in record time, that's pretty good.

He just stopped by with it, as I was eagerly curious to check it out.

So I check out the Andrew's Perfect sub, friend paid $338 for it plus shipping. Here are a few things I would like confirmation about.

1. I have heard that the SS band is light and feels flimsy. But when I held it, it really felt light and flimsy. It almost felt aluminum like. Is this normal?

2. The side of the band is not polished, but brushed, and unfinished, where as my TT band is highly polished chrome. Is this right?

3. The cyclops seem uncentered, as though it is too much to the left. Is this what the Perfect sub is like? How about the $218 model?

4. The bezel click sounds and feels way different from the GEN. It is claimed to have 120 clicks, but the feel is "Plasticky" and not precise. Is this right on a Perfect sub?

Also, the Crown did not pull out precisely to the 1st click for the date, and the 2nd click for the time.

Any comments would be helpful..

Thanks all.

Edited by jmjm

I cannot speak for the particlular watch, probably noone can becaus you never know what the rep-dealers will send you.

But I can talk for my so called "Super Sea-Dweller and my MBW 5513:

1.Band...

Neither one does, both are rocksolid and heavy.

2. side of the band

On the SD the sides are plolished. (The MBW has a vintage style one)

3. The cyclops seem uncentered.

This is often mentioned in various threads. as for me, I didnt take the risk and went for the SD and 5513, neither on has got a cyclops.

4. The bezel click sounds and feels way different from the GEN.

The 5513 does not click at all, but the SD does. I wouldnt say "plasticky" but a bit less "softly" than the gen. (can only compare to a 16610gen, should be the same as 16600?)

5. the date changed at 9:00 in the morning

well in the repworld something like QC seems to be scratched out of the dictionary. This does not necessarily mean, that it is not an ETA. The reason is simple: the hands ar set wrong - nothing a watchsmith couldnt fix in a few minutes.

The band on the gen Sub also has UNpolished bracelet sides.

In general all the Subs I have the bracelets are very well done. Gen sub bracelets are also flimsy when you hold the watch.

date mag could be off center....this can happen with reps.

Bezel and its feel when turned can vary with rep subs. Some are very good while others can be so so.

No way the date change is correct if you have an eta Sub. ALL the swiss eta subs I have change on the dot at 12 midnight. I have had asian powered subs that changed date at odd hours. Your comments make me think they sent you a asian powered Sub.

Contact Andrew and ask for a replacement. You paid good money for that watch and it should not have these type issues.

I have the $218 model (though, it was $188 when I got it) with the swiss ETA from Andrew. Date changes right around midnight. I have 2 friends with gen SS subs and one with a gen SS SD and we've compared every aspect. One friend has a model (he has several subs) with hollow midlinks, just like my rep. They feel exactly alike. The other friend has a model with the solid midlinks; his bracelet feels much more substantial. But on both, the bracelet edges are brushed, not polished. The bezel clicks and stiffness are exactly alike. The cyclops placement is almost dead on. Mine looks like it sits just a half-hair too low, but good on the left-right orientation. And looking on Rolex's website, it looks like the cyclops' right edge should line up just along the edge of the minute ticks on that side, as mine does.

Though I have noticed some slop in the crown itself. When I know I won't be wearing it for a day, I wind it so I won't have to reset the time. I've found that sometimes, it doesn't engage correctly and I end up changing the date instead of winding the movement. But really, that's minor issue for me.

On the upside, I've had this thing out in the atlantic for over 3 hours straight without a drop of moisture getting in. It didn't fog and I didn't see any condensation. Now granted, I wasn't diving, but i was swimming and goofing off and the watch was in the water the entire time.

The only modification I've done is to get a new bezel/pearl insert for $25. It increases the look of the watch 1000%. My friend has approximately 9 gen rolexes, some subs, some other models. When we compare subs, he gets annoyed because mine looks exactly like his and doesn't require a $500 teardown every couple of years. The only visual difference is in the crown - and I had to point it out to him.

I'd contact Andrew and see if he could get a replacement for your friend.

-Fred

1. There are posts around here telling how to lube up a bracelet so it won't feel so flimsy, but gen sub bracelets are hollow mid-link and pretty light also. A gen TT will be heavier due to the gold in the mid links.

2. Polished edges- can't say what Rolex is doing on the latest subs, but it's not a big deal IMO

3. Cyclops can be off-center because they are simply glued to the crystal- like someone said- Chinese quality control.

4. Bezel click- still one of the big tells- maybe WM9's latest and greatest sub will solve this problem with a more faithful copy of the gen's bezel assembly.

5. Date change- like suchecracks says, it's probably just a case of the hands being positioned incorrectly- watchmaker can reset in 5 minutes- hopefully it is an eta inside. Every watch that I've ordered w/ an eta inside has indeed had one- but w/ drop shipping, mix-ups are possible.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will see if I can post some pics. The Date change thing bothers me. I told my friend to email Andrew, as I have read on these posts that he pleases to the end. I have purchased an Omega SMP GMT and it is flawless, except for the domed crystal that reflects like a fish eye lens, just like one of the eye glass lens from Dustin Huffan's movie, "Pappion".

Reading all the happy Sub owners from this forum, I was more than confident in telling my friend about this site and the great dealers that you all use here.

Thanks all.

Edited by jmjm

I also just recieved the "perfect sub" from Andrew...

As for the bracelet being lighter, as mentioned above, the actual Sub has a lighter bracelet than TT. The TT is heavier because of the solid gold center links. Even the SS gen can be ordered with solid mid-links, but the genuine watch has hollow and is quite light.

Honestly, I never noticed the edges of the bracelet.

There is nothing wrong with my cyclops and my date changes EXACTLY at midnight.

As for the Bezel, Ive never actually clicked the bezel on an original and therefore cant really speak to it..but who the [censored] is clicking your bezel to see if its real? LOL

As for the Bezel, Ive never actually clicked the bezel on an original and therefore cant really speak to it..but who the [censored] is clicking your bezel to see if its real? LOL

Probably an enthusiast who is a member here and reads these posts. I have learned more about watches here than I really need to know, all because that's what happens as we read to find the best deals. (Now I ain't complaining mind you, but really, you guys started a MONSTER..... in me.