When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16700 vs. 16710

UB7

Hey guys, i've been looking around for a gen GMT II and I have found 2 great deals, ones a 16710 and the other is a 16700...Both within $100 of eachother in great condition with original box and papers...What are the differences between these two models? Which one is the superior watch? Thanks for any advice/opinions!

Nevermind guys, just bought the 16710 from an online AD (DeMesy Fine Watches), figured out the difference is a GMT vs. GMT II...Obviously I wanted the newer of the 2, got a 98' 16710 in immaculate condition with original box and papers for $3600 ...DeMesy has the biggest GMT collection ive ever seen, they specialize in pre-owned and I figure the way they can sell them for such a great price is because they have about 30-40 GMT's..I called up and chatted with the owner Joe DeMesy for a bit and hes a great guy, would highly recommend him to others..Will post pics when it arrives - im super excited!!! Heres a pic of the watch (the exact watch).What do you guys think?

49186.jpg

Amazing watch. I'm planning to get a gen next year too. I too, like the newer 16710, because of the super luminova. The old ones have tritium dials, and those will lose almost all their luminous abilities after a while.

Make sure you post a lot of pics when this beauty arrives! :)

Edit: Actually yours will have the Tritium dial as well (see the markings Swiss<T25). Not a big deal though.

Does this model have WG surrounding the markers? I actually prefer the tritium to SL just because they are more rare than the SL's...I predict that 10 years from now these models will be worth 3x what they are today, not that I would ever consider selling this beauty :)

Thanks for the link z80, some great info there thats were I found out the difference between the 2 models:

Produced only until 1988, the short-run 16760 was replaced by the much longer running ref. 16710 GMT-Master II. Not only did the 16710 sport a new caliber of movement (the identically functioning cal. 3185), but it had also lost weight and returned to more slender, GMT-like dimensions

1671016760comp-mike950.jpg

Introduced circa 1988, the ref. 16700 replaced the ref. 16750 in the Rolex catalog while remaining less expensive than it’s more evolved sibling, the GMT-II. Featuring the updated cal. 3175 (which functioned identically to the previous cal. 3075), the 16700 was sold until the remarkably late date of 1999, although overall production seems relatively small in comparison to the more advanced & functional 16710 GMT-II. Also, it appears that the 16700 was only offered with the Pepsi bezel insert to distinguish it from the GMT-II (though it’s certain changes to the insert could be made on customer request).