When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which one to get for my father?

Dutchy

So my father is retiring next year and I want something nice to show my appreciation of his hard work and reward him a bit...and what better way than with a watch! (He wears a Swatch....painful, I know, haha)

I have found two Longines that I really like. Any other recommedations? An IWC or Patek would be great....but it would help if I had the money for one!!

Anyway, I like this model (they aren't cheap) but I have time to snoop around for deals!

41DxdjMMi4L._AA280_.jpg

This one is nice, found it on Timezone on steel band....but I prefer the one above.

619b3d0be061b8f58a72cfbd34621f5b_thmb_xl.jpg

He likes conservative watches. No gold, no bling, no thick watches, just a simple/elegant watch!

The La Grande Classique ones are too simple I reckon, I want something that has presence, but an elegant one, hence the Master Collection ones as featured above.

I prefer leather straps over steel bands, it suits him better and fits simple watches more I think.

Any help would be great!

I don't know what's the budget that you have...but have you tought about a custom one from Tourby? maybe he could engrave something special for you on the movement?...

I'd prefer a watch that comes with a box, warrenty, etc from a known brand. Longines looks great in my opinion. In terms of price. I reckon up to 1.5k dollars.

Thanks for the comment though!

P.S. Love that avatar of yours.

EDIT: BEFORE I FORGET!! 40mm is the absolute limit! Otherwise he won't even wear it with pleasure, haha.

Edited by Dutchy

They are very nice indeed and very elegant in an every day sort of way, i prefer this onewith the big date on leather, i found it very readable, i also like the spirit as it a touch larger and has an older look to it with the hands and numbering. I could see after chritmas what the price would be taxfree in germany for you but i think you should be able to get the tax off in UK?

Andy, I was just about to post that one! Looks great indeed. Especially on leather.

The spirit one is unique, but I don't think my father would go for it.

I hope I would be able to do the tax free thing in England. I wonder what it would be (price wise).

Thanks for contributing your thoughts!!

Edited by Dutchy

I don't know what's the budget that you have...but have you tought about a custom one from Tourby? maybe he could engrave something special for you on the movement?...

Guys, I think anyone of us would kill for a Tourby watch, but something tells me that Dutchy wants to give a watch with a famous marque for his dad.

People would be right to think that an older Swatch-wearer doesn't really care about marques, but I suspect Dutchy wants to change that OR wants to honour his dad's lifetime of hard work with a watch OTHER people recognise too.

"My son gave me this" (shows watch).

That has a lot of impact on people if it's a well-known marque, like Longines. I could be wrong though, but that's the impression Dutchy is giving me.

Dutchy, though it's sold out, keep trying Jomashop's Longines section:

http://www.jomashop.com/longines-l4-709-4-73-6.html

Longines La Grande Classique Steel Mens Watch L4.709.4.73.6

Longines-L4.709.4.73.6

Retail Price: $950.00

JomaPricedRite@: $617.50 You Save: 35%

U$617.50 for a LONGINES. That's a steal. Even with international shipping.

I just saw this watch (for women) in a jewelery shop this weekend, and it's lovely. It was right next to the icky Bertoluccis, so I didn't linger and try it on. I'm trying to think of another marque like this, which is a luxury watch, which ON TOP of that is recognisable in the Netherlands. YET affordable. It's hard.

Also, something not too vanilla -- so Concord is out. Rado/Movado too. Ebel perhaps?

For the same amount of money as you would spend on those Longines in the NL or the UK, you could get a discounted Ebel at this site (got a bit of gold though):

http://www.jacobtime.com/osc/product_info....+1955k41%2F6611

I've bought from them both, and they're legit. Obviously, that was my experience, so please be careful Dutchy.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but those look good. :)

@Dutchy: Good show. I'm glad at least you saw what is out there, in terms of savings! My dad is cheap too (don't worry, it's not a character fault, on the contrary) but somehow has always liked to dress well, and to wear a nice watch. I know MANY dads out there, that think it's a scandal to pay $1250 for a watch. That's until they wear a nice one, of course -- then they want more. Good luck, Dutchy! :)

WOW Victoria, Thanks so much!!

Indeed, you got it spot on. I want to change my father's ways (he doesn't care much for expensive watches, because, well....they're expensive!) Also, I want to give something back to my father, something that he will always have with him, reminds him of me, his work, and whatever else he thinks of, haha.

I like the Longines you posted, but I prefer it on leather. The one Andy posted with the big date and the first one I posted is the direction I want to go in, I think it would really compliment my father's style.

He absolutely hates gold, really. So that's really out (I know, there's quite a few nice subtle ones out there, but he won't appreciate it). I really dont like Ebel/Rado/Movado, etc and I reckon my father wouldn't either. I really want something that I am proud of to give my father. He'll be wearing it a lot I'm sure, whatever watch it will be!!

Thanks again!

EDIT: Sorry for changing the rating I gave you V, I had "thanks" first but figured that wasn't enough. I then wanted to add "useful" but it replaced the "thanks". So I just changed it to "gold star", lol.

Edited by Dutchy

I like the Longines 'Spirit' series.....unfortunately this is a rep.....not gen....but I think something such as this would be quite appropriate.....suitably vintage looking and easily legible....!

361LONGINESHISTORIC2.jpg

361LONGINESHISTORIC1.jpg

361LONGINESHISTORIC3.jpg

Nice Longines, TTK!

Dutchy. of the two, the chrono looks terrific. I've checked it out in the flesh and it is a darn nice watch.

There is also the Logines Conquest Diver which I believe is currently only offered in Europe. It is a recreation of the 1960s original. Perhaps your Dad may also like.

It resembles the rare and hens teeth Jaeger LeCoultre Polaris which can run a small fortune.

longineslegenddiverawesey3.jpg

I have achronus special edition here for longines and the master collection has some thing for every one, i am amazed, 26 to 47mm, chronos, autos, handwind, big or small date, sub or center seconds, power reserve, world time moon phase, some thing for every one there! It came free with 01 2008 chronos

I have achronus special edition here for longines and the master collection has some thing for every one, i am amazed, 26 to 47mm, chronos, autos, handwind, big or small date, sub or center seconds, power reserve, world time moon phase, some thing for every one there! It came free with 01 2008 chronos

Yea I need to start buying some watch mags. Quite expensive at uni though!