When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me clarify....do Chinese movements have Swiss stamps/markings?

donce

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but the mov't shown is Swiss. There's a dimple in the hairspring balance pin holder, as well as the ETA stock full circle metal ring around the Incablock assembly.

cheers,

babola

babola....can you clarify something?

I thought a mvnt with incabloc shock protection was asian...now i'm confused.

I thought that the swiss had novodiac?

I can't really see the shape of it in the pic.

Hope i'm right, otherwise all my 'swiss' movement purchases have been a lie. :huh:

Also bad finish on the main plate, no visible manufature markings, bad finished gearing as far as i can see. i belive FGD means the plate that is above the anchor, it is single sided as opposed to being double sided with a screw on both sides. I would say this is one of the cheeper versions of the 6497 from asia.

I was looking at some of the pre-v movements on p-sti and I ran across this picture,, look at the tapered spokes on the balance wheel, this was a tall tell sign of an asian movement,, but here it is sitting on a genuine pre-v movement.

anyway, point of posting this is that I too thought it looked like an old swiss movement.

_18.jpg

edit:

babola....can you clarify something?

I thought a mvnt with incabloc shock protection was asian...now i'm confused.

I thought that the swiss had novodiac?

I dont understand this comment above, you can find incabloc or novodiac on ETA movements, I think it is simply a matter of preference for the watchmaker.

I think you will find more Incabloc on 6497 than you will novodiac

Edited by Daytona4me

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm still learning the differences and have obviously noted incorrectly about the shock protection type being a tell tale sign.

The other things that I thought i knew how to tell the origin of a movement are:

Flared spokes on the balance wheel = Asian (but as Daytona shows, these are on gens too!)

Bevelled edge on winding and crown wheels = swiss

...but i'm only a noob and still trying to pick things up.

I'm really confused lately as it seems that some rep movements have a mixture of either swiss, swiss cloned or asian parts.

That is the case, some are pure asian but with swiss markings

<_< I think we kid ourselves sometimes about what we think we are getting out of China.

Look at the Sleven, the Cousteau, the BCE , the SFSO, UPO, etc... but they cant figure out how to do a simple ETA stamp.... yeah..... right! :o:huh:

I saw Santa Claus in the mall last week, so he MUST be real!