When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

005 Back from Ziggy

ZainoDetail

Well I got a great suprise on Christmas Eve when the mail carrier came to the door with my return package from The Zigmeister. I had him install a palp crown and re-lume the dial with a mix of 80% C1 and 20% C3 super lume.

I'm extremely happy with the results....see for yourself. The only thing i may still do is try to machine a little material off of the legs of the crown guard just a touch. I think the opening for the crown is still a touch too big and had I had rob install the crown slightly off of the case which I realize is more correct it would have looked OK...but personally I much prefer the crown sitting right against the case so I had rob install the crown this way.

Also I've included pictures of my new all-black Savage strap and SC legend buckle that my wife got me as a christmas present...and a couple of the new watch box that she got for me as well (Don Carbon on the 212 is new too but not highlighted here).

One final note...this is my first modified watch and Rob (The Zigmeister) was great to deal with...the work is top notch.

Picture114.jpg

Picture105.jpg

Picture101.jpg

Picture104.jpg

Picture116.jpg

Lume shot after 30 seconds of charging and 30 seconds of sitting prior to picture..my lume shots don't do the work justice

Picture097.jpg

Picture125.jpg

Looks great. Lume is the usual beautiful job. The Palp crown looks good on the historic crown guard. Is that his standard 2.1 or is it a 2.0 or 1.9? Also whose dial and case?

Kruzer: Thanks for the compliments. I knew if anyone could pick this apart it would be you and Babola. Do you think I should try to machine just a touch of material off of the crown guard or quit being picky and leave it?

I believe I was told the palps crown is 2.09?...maybe I'm wrong there...I was just happy to find that it was not drilled incorrectly as i was worried becuase I got my crown around the time The Zigmeister was reporting issues with them.

You'll laugh when I tell you who's case and dial...it's from Joshua and this watch is actually a "chepo" $100 21j movement watch. All I've done is lume and crown and some work of my own on the crown guard. For no more money than I've got in the watch it's turned out pretty well I think.

It may be el cheapo but it looks really good. That explains the lack of recessed cannon pinion. I think I would leave the CG alone. Wear it well.

I think ZD's is BEAUTIFUL. As you know, I'm in the market for one, and since it's a closed caseback, I don't mind its guts too much.

The one thing I would like to ask, Kru, is if the slant of the logo is right? I think not, and that is what prevents me from getting the cheapo from Andrew.

The one thing I would like to ask, Kru, is if the slant of the logo is right? I think not, and that is what prevents from getting the cheapo from Andrew.

005genvsandrewsxf4.jpg

005genvsandrewsdl1.jpg

I wish I had Photoshop, :sss:, grazie!!

Well, so as not to lightly threadcrap, I will just say the rest of the watch is ravishing. The straps, dead on perfect. And yes, I guess DSN's 005 for the logo alone is the guy for me...

FOLLOWUP: Even better line of sight -- thanks again! If DSN's logo is not correct, I will have to say that it's the best one I've seen out there, though. Unless Kru, PamMan, Babola or yourself can point me to another...and you have email. ;)

I wish I had Photoshop, :sss:, grazie!!

Well, so as not to lightly threadcrap, I will just say the rest of the watch is ravishing. The straps, dead on perfect. And yes, I guess DSN's 005 for the logo alone is the guy for me...

I edited my post, Vicky, pls do check (you are too fast to me, as I already said). Nothing critical, just made it easier to see the flaw.

DSN is not perfect as well. No 100% logo reps out there, unfortunately.

Pls also check your email ;)

DSN is not perfect as well. No 100% logo reps out there, unfortunately.

Agreed. It's unfortunate because the logo is my favorite model...DSN's has the proper slant but is large and nearly touches the writing. Like many of the Panerai models, It's all about what's the most acceptable flaw YOU personally can accept when choosing a logo watch....if I had to do it Over I'd probably have a DSN but I'm pretty attached to this watch and will likely own it for a very long time!

Kruzer: You're correct...no recessed pin issue with the 21j movement BUT the head of the pin is slightly rounded and not flat, so again it's not perfect but acceptable for me for now!

Thanks to all for the compliments.