When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my 1680 modded

pfff

hi all,

after several months of reading threads in this forum concerning mbw rolex modded, i decided to do my own

so here it is :

mbw 5512 case modded ( aged, lugholes drilled )

bezel insert nicely vintagized by kelster + gen dot

gen tropic 19 low dome

gen crown

gen dial

rolex 1570 movement fully serviced + silver datewheel ( flat 3 :p :p !!! )

waiting for tube + springbars +/- gen bracelet 93150 if i manage to find one at a good price

the pics :

f_28122007017m_cb6c26c.jpg

f_28122007014m_ccaaa48.jpg

f_28122007015m_d924358.jpg

f_28122007018m_4d2d8a3.jpg

f_28122007019m_ad1c28b.jpg

f_28122007020m_366d132.jpg

it was my first watch mod, and using a dremel was new to me :black_eye: ( the case suffers a bit , but i'm gonna polish it :o )

I really enjoy doing this, it was a little scary at some points, but i'm proud that i managed to do it by myself :)

+ one gift for speed lovers ( gen speed automatic )

f_27122007011m_02c76ea.jpg

next step : becoming a rwg supporter ;)

Excellent little franken you built and it is fun! All you need is a gen case and call it the day. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Once you polish the case, the lug holes should look better finished.

I like your idea of installing the gen T-19. I did the same to my 1680 and it looks much better, at least to my eyes. The watch looks cleaner plus the new crystal lowers the profile. I'm very tempted to do the same to my gen Tudor.

Is the 1665 next? :biggrin:

i did the lugholes, and i screwed a little yup

but concerning the dial, its the old tritium that is still on, and that is gone on some points. i like it that way :)

Yea, I agree. The old tritium on my 1680 dial looks similar too, and I like it. Repaint jobs don't look the same. Tell me about the vintagizing of those hands... they look great.

thanks for your comments guys, I really enjoyed this project !

the 1680 dial was too big for the case : i could have trimed the dial, but i prefered to trim the case ( it wasnt the easiest part :p )

concerning the Tropic 19, it was easy to install ( it fits perfectly ). I think it gives a unique look, and it looks much better to me too Jetsons !

next project, hum maybe a 5512 or a 5513

i bought the hands from clark watch parts on ebay. they didnt fit the movement, and my watchmaker did a great job for this

i vintagized them with :

an orange felt pen

then scratched them with a screwdriver

then added some dark chocolate ( yes yes ) on them !

Very interesting! Good work on the watch- the only issue is the lugs. I think you should consider trying to rebuild them a bit, aesthetically at least. I don't know how you'll do it, but it shouldn't be that hard if you were to use some sort of compound that could be shaped and later hardened and perhaps painted.

The T19 looks good to me, but having a SeaDweller, the look would be kind of redundant. Also, sad as it is, the datewheel on the Rolex sub is a part of the image and classic appearance of the watch when people associate it in their minds.

I'd recommend a genuine insert. I find that they're one of the most underrated mods you can make on your watch. The genuine faded inserts aren't really grey, they're more of a faded black. It's hard to describe.

i bought the hands from clark watch parts on ebay. they didnt fit the movement, and my watchmaker did a great job for this

i vintagized them with :

an orange felt pen

then scratched them with a screwdriver

then added some dark chocolate ( yes yes ) on them !

LOL dark chocolate! I haven't heard that one yet.... Whatever works, I guess. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...