When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why can't I remove the springbar on the 12 side of my SOSF?

Antonio

I'm swapping the SS band of my SOSF for a croc strap from Joshua. Lost a screw from the band, thought it was a good time to try a strap on the watch. 6 o'clock came off fine, but can't seem to compress the springbar via the slot on the top. Any tips? Tried to use a springbar tool on the band, but only have a larger tool. Broke the (cheap) round end of the tool, used a flat eyeglass screwdriver perfectly on the bottom of the band, got the new strap in on that side. The other side won't come off. It's my first time doing this, perhaps someone can offer advice as to why it's not coming off?

I've been trying for hours.

I encountered the same thing with my BCE.... there's no trick. You need good quality tools and a lot of patience. The springbar is probably a little bit too wide. This is why you have to keep the springbar straight when removing it. As soon as one end is out the springbar will be longer at the other end. Try two springbar tools at the same time and move the bracelet straight up.

PS: Be careful not to strip the springbar. The rep springbars are low quality and easily strip..... then all is lost.

Edited by Rolexman

Ok, thanks, guys. I think I'll take it to a local watch shop (non-AD who does adjustments to my SS bands). Really wanted to learn to do it myself.

For future reference, what's the best springbar tool to use? I bought one, it has a larger v-shaped tool on one end (good for straps, I'm guessing?) and had a pin on the other. I think I need a small springbar tool on the other end. Also, recommendations for quality replacement springbars? I notice Ofrei has them, they seem inexpensive, but you have to buy all one diameter in a kit.

Should I ask the watch shop for a quality spare springbar or three?

Ok, thanks, guys. I think I'll take it to a local watch shop (non-AD who does adjustments to my SS bands). Really wanted to learn to do it myself.

For future reference, what's the best springbar tool to use? I bought one, it has a larger v-shaped tool on one end (good for straps, I'm guessing?) and had a pin on the other. I think I need a small springbar tool on the other end. Also, recommendations for quality replacement springbars? I notice Ofrei has them, they seem inexpensive, but you have to buy all one diameter in a kit.

Should I ask the watch shop for a quality spare springbar or three?

the spring bar tol you have should be good for all sizes of openings.. i use the pin end for the Breitling and IWC pilotswith metal bracelet..if leather strap the v end works great.. the tooth pick trick really works well... thought that one up out of frustration try to open the IWC 3717 pilot bracelet.. no that is a bear to open.. but once i insterted the toothpic the other end just came off an the bracelet slide right off the case... i posted pics somewhere

ebay had assortment of spring bars or ask you collector for some spares.. mine sent me a load of them

Good luck