When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chronograph, more sexy than useful?

magagne

Each time I try to use my chrono (valjoux layout 6,9,12, or a 6,9,3 layout), impossible to tell, like a snap, in a fraction of second without hesitation, what is the elapse time (I read, in the right sub-dial order, for knowing if the minute sub-dial is in de 0 to 30 range or in the 30 to 60 minutes range, but it's always pain in the ***).

I far prefer a non-chrono, with a simple rotating bezel, to time my laundry, or cooking, or parking meter, etc. analog chrono are sexy, of course, but not really practical. A digital chrono is very more easy to read.

The best (IMHO) analog chrono layout is the lemania 5100, with a second hand minutes counter, the best layout ever design, and now, it is discontinued, http://www.timedesign.de/uhrwerke/zifferblatt.html ... I miss my old Sinn 142 with original Lemania 5100 for that. Why I sell it? why <ahttp://rwg.cc/uploads/emoticons/default_cry.gif' alt=':cry:'>, but Sinn create his own version of the lemania 5100, http://www.sinn.de/onlineshopPRO/TEMPLATE/....php?id=142.050, but he his the only one, that I know, who construct this layout.

Ok, so, am I alone here to find these valjoux chrono layout little difficult to read? I think it's time to watch designer to switch and build a more modern chrono layout, we approach 2008!

Sorry to hear about your Lemania 5100. Those movements have one hell of a cult following and seem to be getting rather pricey. I should have known when a friend began collecting them as soon as he heard the movement was being discontinued in 2004. I'm not sure how bullet proof they are compared to the more common Valjoux calibers but they do have a reputation for their toughness.

Chronos look neat but not sure about sexy unless it's a vintage beauty. Chrono movements are relatively expensive to service and I can't help believe their complexity affects reliability versus a simple workhorse movement. I prefer to keep it simple and usually consider the date feature to detract from a fine looking dial. :)

Added:

A couple with a vintage flair.

chronowon605074kz9.jpg

alphanewmanchrono2aai7.jpg

Ever since I received my first Chronograph in 1977 for Confirmation graduation, I have been intrigued with how Chronos work. I still have it:

DSC01163.JPG

As a kid, and on trips, I used to sit in the back of the car while Dad drove on the freeway and at each mile marker, would start the Chrono. When we passed the next mile marker, I would tell him exactly how fast he was driving for the previous minute. It might have been fun for him at first, but I'm sure I got on his nerves eventually! Now, after owning many chronos including a 1952 Breitling Navitimer with the AOPA logo (watch is long gone) which as you may know, before electronics, many pilots used to calculate important information in-flight.

So, owning a functional mechanical chronograph is probably not practical for most people anymore; but for me knowing it's history makes them enjoyable pieces in my collection. Here are a few I own right now:

DSC01099.JPG

Ciao, Arty

So, owning a functional mechanical chronograph is probably not practical for most people anymore; but for me knowing it's history makes them enjoyable pieces in my collection. Here are a few I own right now:

DSC01099.JPG

Arty -- Nice trio. That Gevril is the 3rd or 4th Newman copy (from different watch companies) I have seen in recent years. If there is that much interest in the design, Rolex would have to be crazy not to be contemplating releasing a new version (as they recently did with the Milgauss). The could easily sell a steel version for $25k without breaking a sweat.

That is a really nice looking Chateau Sport Chrono there Arty... I wonder how many people here know about the difference in the button function with this one? Or that it shares the same 17J EB 8420 movement as the more famous BULL-HEAD Heuer-Leonidas & Sorna "Jacky Ickx" chronos?

Heh... I foolishly dump my money into vintage Gens... pulling together all kinds of little theme collections, just for my own enjoyment...

Perhaps not so foolishly though, as one really useful thing about my sexy chronos is that selling a half a dozen of them, one painful sale at a time, kept most of the bills paid for 5 years while I was unable to work due to some serious health issues. Although, I never had a problem reading the dials either.

One small example of vintage watch fanaticism... did you know that the little 1J Sheffield AllSport Diver (I rebuilt one of mine last month after nearly ruining it with brake cleaner, if anyone remembers that one), was also sold under other brands, including the Lucerne and ZODIAC names.. and that there was also a GMT version? (I am still trying to piece together examples of each variation of that one, just in case anyone needs hints on what to buy me for my birthday...)

An example general WIS-iness...

That Gevril is the 3rd or 4th Newman copy (from different watch companies) I have seen in recent years.

One of those more pricey Newman copies like you were talking about wouldn't happen to be the OMEGA Speedmaster Schumacher "The Legend" edition would it?

post-7786-1199077969_thumb.jpg