When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chieftang's New AR FAQ

HauteHippie

When is the last day for signup ? I'm waiting on a few items to arrive and to be pulled apart :)

Actually the current sign up thread is here: http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=379275

I'll keep it open for a few days, and then I usually expect there to be about a 3 week timeframe in which crystals arrive before going to the coater.

Minor update to "The Service" section to add some thoughts and policies regarding crystals with cyclopes. I do know that coating crystals with their cyclops removed and reattaching them afterward has been done. But I remain a little skeptical of how well that really turns out, how well the crystal glue adheres to a coating rather than to the substrate itself, and what kind of chemical reaction, if any, (possibly causing a slight color shift) between the crystal cement and the AR coating occurs. Also, I would guess that there might be a little excess glue on the crystal left from positioning the cyclops which would need to be wiped off before the UV exposure. And I don't know how cleanly it'd wipe off of the coating as opposed to bare sapphire. So, my suggestion is to discuss this option with someone knowledgeable like The Zigmeister before pursuing it.

In the past, I have done a cyclops-friendly AR run which was a low temperature, non-durable, single sided interior surface run for Panerais. This allowed the cyclopes to remain attached during the coating process and worked well. You just had to handle the crystal with care until it was installed so as not to damage the coating. This is a possibility in the future if demand arises.

I had a question and search as I may I could not find an answer.

How does this double AR compare to the double AR that comes on some of our reps such as the Ingy, SOSF, BCE, UPO ect. I would have to imagine it is better but has anyone done a comparison to see if it is worth the $55 to have the factory double AR removed and the new coating applied?

That would be an interesting comparison. I have a VCO and an Ingy both with factory AR, and I find the VCO is too much and the Ingy is too little. Neither are like my UPO which has a gen crystal. The AR on the UPO gives off VERY little blue tint if any at all. I am looking forward to seeing the results of this run and will probably have both the VCO and Ingy stripped and re-done by chief. They need to be serviced anyway.

That would be an interesting comparison. I have a VCO and an Ingy both with factory AR, and I find the VCO is too much and the Ingy is too little. Neither are like my UPO which has a gen crystal. The AR on the UPO gives off VERY little blue tint if any at all. I am looking forward to seeing the results of this run and will probably have both the VCO and Ingy stripped and re-done by chief. They need to be serviced anyway.

LR, yes. Many people might not understand that the AR used on gen watches gives off a very slight tint only. My new AR is going to be exactly the same - nominally colorless with slight tint in some light. I would be very interested to see your evaluation of my new AR next to your gen PO crystal. Performance wise - i.e. in terms of inhibiting reflections - this coating is going to hold its own against any gen watch and probably be even slightly better (if actual measurements were taken).

As far as the rep AR goes - the only worthy adversary I've seen in pics has been the SOSF. Having never seen one in person, though, I can't give a firsthand answer. My guess is that it's pretty good, but not as good as what you'd find in the Breitling AD. :)

And on the color topic, here's a gen 3717 below. Those light reflections in the crystal are pretty much white despite the high grade AR coating. Crystals that scream blue or purple don't look authentic.

3717.jpg