When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Basic watch tools?

Daneel

Is there a guide anywhere to what tools are needed for what tasks and what should compose a basic set?

I've been looking here: http://watchtools.co.uk/watchtools.html which gives me a decent idea, though I have no idea of the quality of the items (or the quality I will need). I don't intend to do anything advanced, at least not at first, but it would be nice to be able to get into the watches and make bracelet adjustments.

Thanks!

Ok when reading around the boards it's easy to get fooled into thinking that working on our watches is a natural progression of our hobby, it is not.

For now all you should need in the way of tools you can purchase off Narikka (collector) and these will be solely for the purpose of adjusting bracelets or changing straps, when/if you ever get to the point where you are ready to take the case back off and do some work on the watch itself you would have accumulated the knowledge of the best tools for the job.

Ken

I was going to ask the same question ! You never know, some newbs like me may one day be a watch smith. But I agree with Ken, simple tools will suffice until you actually need them. But there are people who like to buy those 1000 piece tool sets and only use 1 tool :lol:

I'm looking basic tools to adjust bracelets - all types, open the case back - screw type and flip. Ebay, Narikka, local watchsmith... no point in shipping something that is readily available locally, but perhaps its still cheaper at from the bay.

KenM

I'll suggest buying good tools, and thus only buying said tools once. I have found, 99% of the time, that when I try to cut corners with cheap tools it doesn't pay off in the end.

A good point of reference is the timezone watch classes. For each level, they have a recommended set of basic tools - all of good quality. You can use their suggestions as a starting point to buy just what you need. A good Bergeon or Horotec screw driver set is a must. :)

I think it would be fun to do those timezone watch classes... only if i had the time ! Ofrei selling those kits starting at $240, but they come with movements to practice on. Expensive. Gotta source me just the bracelet and case back tools for now..

Right, and there is no need to buy the whole kit. I was just suggesting to look at the kit to see what's in it in order to get an idea of what tools are recommended, and then buy the ones you need individually.