When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the end of the availalibility of ETA movements here?

RWG Technical

So with 2008 here, we're that much closer to ETA pulling the plug on movement availability outside of the SWATCH group. The rumours have been flying around on various boards that we better get ETA movements and parts while we can, for they soon will disappear...

I have been curious about this very question, and more so on the question of spare parts availability, what happens after next year...do I still have access to parts...I had a lot of questions, so I started to ask my own questions of the suppliers, after all, they should know what is going on...(horological suppliers, not rep watch ones).

Here's what I can offer, you decide if there is anything to worry about...

- Parts availability. I spoke in person to the owner of a watch material house, and asked this very question. The answer, "Don't worry, we are going to have ETA parts for many many more years...you don't have to stock up on anything, we'll have them here for you". That was a comforting answer, but I was still not entirely convinced...

Then I made more inquiries and was shocked.

- ETA movement availability. I have access to every possible ETA mechanical movement being made, not only in single quantities, but get this: IF I buy 100 (yes - ONE HUNDRED) or more of any caliber or a variety of calibers, I get a DISCOUNT. That includes FACTORY SEALED ETA movements or surplus ones. 100 of any caliber you want: 2094, 2671, 2836-2, 2893-2, 2894-2, 6497-2, 7750, 7753, 7754, etc, etc... you name it, it's available.

Approximate Prices: 2836-2 $150, 6497-1 $120, 6497-2 $450, 7750 $475, these are the single prices, if you bought 100, the price drops to 2836 $120, 6497-1 $95, 6497-2 $365, 7750 $380.

So from where I sit, I am not worried about my ETA powered watches, or if I need to buy a ETA whatever movement, I have access to them all.

If I can buy 100 of any type, there is no shortage in my opinion.

What do you think?

RG

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Am I the only one who thinks that this old rumor about "ETA movements disappearing" has been just another excuse for the factories to drag up their prices?

Good news indeed, although the prices on these movements will continue to rise faster than they would have already. I am sure ETA will use the "limited availability" as a reason for hiking prices. Cost on all of this is stedily going up anyways, and anyone wanting an ETA for a project will be well advised to get in before the cutoff if they want to save a few bucks.

Cheers

I do not think that you want to agree with The Zigmeister? Or am I the one who mixes something up?

check this prices what The Zigmeister quote... they are HIGH

and this is what i told many times... the price will rise up.

Yes this is correct, the prices I quote are not retail prices.

Wow, Tourby agrees with me, and I agree with him...is this a sign of what is to come in 2008??? :)

Two firsts in one day.

RG

The Zigmeister. I had never any problem with you or your opinions. I respect you and agree on most of your opinions.

I had only a problem one time as you defame me and my prices - that