When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Discount on gens?

Daneel

A bit of reading suggests that on an Omega, I should be able to negotiate 20-33% off at an AD. Does this sound realistic? Is it different between countries (e.g. US, UK, rest of Europe).

Can people give a guide (based on experience) of what I might expect on other brands? Oris is one I'm particularly interested in.

Thanks!

I don't remember what the mark-up to the AD's is on Omega. They are probably buying somewhere between 50-60% of retail. Unless you are after a brand new model I would look for a used one as you can probably get it closer to 50% off of new. Take a glance at Timezone and Watchnet. You can find new pieces with the 30% + discount.

Once I was in an AD and the salesperson offered me a Daytona for $12,000 instead of the listed $15,000 without having been prompted by me in any way... but this watch had been sitting in the shelf for over two years... Maybe you can ask the salesperson to tell you which timepiece he would give the greatest discount on?

Depends on the Dealer. There are Authorized dealers and secondary market dealers like Alan Furman. Tag is more heavily discounted than Omega as Omega is attempting to become more of an upper echalon brand while Tag is happy to saturate the the market with as many AD's as they can including many high end department stores like Macys. I have been told that Omega is tightening up their Authorized dealer network. Rolex AD's tend not to offer much if any discount on their Oyster Professional models. When i bought my geniune Seamaster Pro three years ago from an AD I recived a 25% discount off list. Last year I bought a Planet Ocean from an authorized dealer and was able to negotiate only 15% off list. For my 4 genuine Rolexes my dealer only ate the sales tax. You may pay a bit more but Only authorized dealers can offer manufacturers warranty while secondary dealers like Alan Furman offer similar in house warranties through their own watch repair service. Also many authorized dealers offer your first movement service for free.

Good Luck

Having purchased a few gens I can attest that discounts are widely given.

Michael's Watches is located in the heart of the jewelry district and while talking to the owner I learned quite a few things. Michael's gives 30% off for most time pieces. For a majority of other pieces he can do 35% off. IWC, Zenith, Tag, were all 30-35%, however the more popular models warranted less of a discount, or had a long waiting list.

I was there this past December while my friend shopped for lan IWC Portuguese Power Reserve (he did not want a watch that could have the movement easily replicated) and we were told the wait was at least 3-4 months, and the discount was 20% at most.

When I asked for the Portuguese it was 35% off and available that day.

I learned that what Michael's does is the purchase inventory from Authorized Dealers and mark them up a few percent. Normally dealers get their watches at 50% off the suggested retail price, they are often times immediately sold to middlemen for a slight mark up, either 5 or 10%. This is because the more product the move, the more exclusive and limited items they can get. So by selling to several middlemen they are bumped up the list to receive the rare and exclusive offerings.

Michael's then marks the watches up a little more, enough to prevent someone to go to the AD.

Also I deal exclusively with Asian owned jewelry chains. In Los Angeles there is Lee Ching Haw, and Chong Hing, both of which give you a discount. Being Chinese and speaking Chinese will help immensely. He eventually found a black faced IWC Power Reserve from Chong Hing and purchased it for $7850, tax included.

Most Chinese dealers will also not tag on the tax if you are able to pay with cash.

Just try asking for a discount, and understand that the discount depends on the watch. Neither Lee Ching Hwa, of Chong Hing gave discounts on Panerai. The best they could do is offer no tax, however on one occassion my friend was offered 10% and no tax. I have not heard of a better deal for Panerai.

BTW I was able to get my 3706 IWC Fliegerchronograph for $3200 out the door, and this included the deployment bracelet. This was in 2003 when the 3706 was not discontinued.