When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

>> Need operating instructions for new Bentley! <<

juicy

I just received my late Christmas present in the form of a Bentley Motors from River. It is my first automatic watch and I really dont know much at all about the movements or operations. This model has the 7750 with seconds at 9. Can somebody please point me to a user/operator/instruction manual for these watches?

I feel like a total n00b asking but I dont want to break anything yet! I am looking for a guide on how to set the time/date, wind the watch, when to wind the watch and how to use the chronos.

All help is very appreciated. Once up and running, I will post up some pics along with a review.

Thanks!

Thank you both for the information. I saw that info on Trusty's site while shopping around but forgot where I saw it at. It is very helpful to a newcomer in this hobby so I must say thanks to you and also to Andrew for writing it up.

The watch I received was not running when I received it however it started to run after putting it on my wrist and moving about.

I followed the instructions carefully for pulling the crown and winding the watch as mentioned in the tutorial. I did not set the date since it was already at the correct day. I also shook the watch like a 'mad cow' for about three minutes after winding the watch for power reserve as it was said I should do before using the stopwatch feature. Unfortunately I did not make it any further as the hand never moved when the start/stop buttons were pressed.

I followed the guide very carefully. Is there something I am missing or is there a trick to starting the stopwatch? Looking for a little guidance...please help!

Thank you both for the information. I saw that info on Trusty's site while shopping around but forgot where I saw it at. It is very helpful to a newcomer in this hobby so I must say thanks to you and also to Andrew for writing it up.

The watch I received was not running when I received it however it started to run after putting it on my wrist and moving about.

I followed the instructions carefully for pulling the crown and winding the watch as mentioned in the tutorial. I did not set the date since it was already at the correct day. I also shook the watch like a 'mad cow' for about three minutes after winding the watch for power reserve as it was said I should do before using the stopwatch feature. Unfortunately I did not make it any further as the hand never moved when the start/stop buttons were pressed.

I followed the guide very carefully. Is there something I am missing or is there a trick to starting the stopwatch? Looking for a little guidance...please help!

Hi Juicy!

I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems, but most Valjoux 7750 driven watches usually are finicky beast! Please do a search on this site and you'll know what I'm talking about. I started as a newbie like you and had high hopes for these chronos, but now, after learning a lot from this site and owning about a dozen of them, I have lowered my hopes and expectations for these particular watches, particularly as a chrono function.....buy them for aesthrtic purpose, but not for technical one! In short, enjoy there beauty, but don't expect it to function the way you'd think. I give up doing that! If your intent is to use the chrono function a lot, then buy the swiss version. Hope this help and good luck! It might still work, if not, work with your dealer.....you might have to send it back!

Yeah HikeUSA, I heard that the chronos are quite problematic with the 7750s that is the main reason I wanted to make sure I took every step correctly to have them working. If indeed they are non functional, what steps are recommended...should I contact the dealer?...should I look into repairing it?..will it harm the rest of the watches functionality?

I don't intend to use the chronos a whole lot although I would at least like it to work when called upon for the first time out of the box.

I am not sure if it is related but the bezel turns smoothly with the red arrow from 9 down to 3 but it is very hard to turn past in either direction. I did not want to force it and I am content with it where it is at but just curious.

Oh...and..is it ok when setting the time [or date] to go backwards (counterclockwise)? Example: if it is 10:00 and I need to set it to 9:00 just roll the hands back to the needed time. I have heard that it can damage the date mechanism if turned too far back in time.

Edited by juicy

When you push the start button, it can sometimes be very stiff. Give it some stick.

Also, NEVER change the day/date between 10pm and 2am.

Pugwash, you weren't joking.... It was EXTREMELY hard to push after a certain point almost to the point of...oops I think I pushed too hard ...with a huge CLICK! It quickly came alive and then stopped and reset right at 12:00 with full firm presses and clicks of the buttons! [are the gens like this also??] I couldn't be happier. :D Thank you thank you thank you!

I found early on that the date cannot be set during those times but thanks for that advice. Do you know about setting the time counterclockwise? I just read on a site "Care must be taken not to move the hands counterclockwise too far as they may go past midnight into the previous day and damage the date or moon-phase mechanisms." Is this true for the watches with 7750 or 7750b1?

I also shook the watch like a 'mad cow' for about three minutes after winding the watch for power reserve as it was said I should do before using the stopwatch feature. Unfortunately I did not make it any further as the hand never moved when the start/stop buttons were pressed.

Dont shake but rock the watch!

Thats so funny you say that. I already feel so knowledgeable regarding watches now even with the little knowledge that I have when compared to my friends and my significant other. During my vacation last week I was even able to spot certain watch models and parts from afar! I know that sounds lame but it was fun!

Edited by juicy

Pugwash, you weren't joking.... It was EXTREMELY hard to push after a certain point almost to the point of...oops I think I pushed too hard ...with a huge CLICK! It quickly came alive and then stopped and reset right at 12:00 with full firm presses and clicks of the buttons! [are the gens like this also??] I couldn't be happier. :D Thank you thank you thank you!

It's mechanical. Sometimes 7750s can need a little ... persuasion to get the chronos running. Amazing something so fragile and precision can require such force. ;)

ps. Feel free to set the time forwards or backwards, even past midnight.

ps. Feel free to set the time forwards or backwards, even past midnight.

Thats the last bit of info I've been searching for. Thanks!

Oh...and persuasion to say the least! I feel like I am breaking it every time I press the start and stop buttons.