When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Moving countries - any input?

phaedo

Hot on the tail of The Zigmeister asking the question about living in Paris, I have another, much broader question for you all. As this is an international forum, I am sure to get a few good responses, and maybe some that I had not thought about.

I feel like moving countries again. Now, originally I am from New Zealand, and have done what a lot of us do, move to Australia. It is easy and cheap to do, and not much hassle when it comes to work visas, as we are basically treated like natives when it comes to that type of thing. So it was more like moving to another city in that respect. But now I feel like I have had enough of it here, and am wanting somewhere fresh again.

I spent a few months after university in the USA, working in Connecticut, which was alright, I was nice and close to New York, middle of winter, which rocked. But, as I get a bit older, I don't think I really want the hustle and bustle of the likes of NY any more - at the time I wanted to stay there, but I only had a 4 month work visa. Short of hiding from immigration, I was coming home again.

So I have been thinking about where I might like to go. I would quite like to 'retire' to Italy, but have never been there, and don't speak any language other than English (unless you can call counting from 1 to 10 in French and Spanish being fluent in foreign languages). By the time I do move on, I will be 30, or just a couple of months short of it, so it may be harder to get the right visa's from that perspective too.

Places I have thought about would be any of the 'island resort' type places, Bahamas, Cayman Islands, Cabo, Jamaica, anything that is a tax haven beach holiday type of place; or I had thought of London, but unsure of that as although I did once want to head over there for a couple of years, it just doesn't really appeal that much any more. Although it would be a great base to be able to travel around Europe and see what is out there. And the same for somewhere such as Miami - I have not been there to know what it is like, but I did have a weeks holiday in Ft Myers in Florida, which I liked. Miami might end up being too busy also, but would have that beach atmosphere to it, and be close enough to all those islands I would like to live on, plus only a 4 hour plane ride to New York. So again, it would be a good base for travel. I do like those southern accents on the ladies too B) But I also know it is likely to be difficult to just pack up and move to the US these days with work restrictions. Unless I can find someone who may want to get married in a hurry and a few dollars to go with it with a quickie divorce a couple of years later :whistling:

Anyway, by way of qualifications I have an undergrad degree in finance, but have found it difficult to get work in the field - as I was primarily wanting to work in finance, I didn't do many accounting papers, just the compulsory ones to do further finance ones; I discovered on leaving uni that the firms that were hiring for finance jobs didn't seem to care if you knew anything about finance, more that you were on the way to becoming a chartered accountant. I was a lot more qualified than most that got the jobs I was going for, just had done what was considered the 'wrong' papers by employers. In the end I basically gave up looking for work in the field, and am one of the managers at a department store now. As long as I can find some work initially when I get to where I am going, I don't really mind. As long as I can find something reasonably fast initially, I can always start looking for something better once I am more established.

So after all this, my questions would be any suggestions from people living in the places I have mentioned? I know there are quite a few from Miami around the board; but I am also sure there will be people here who could possibly throw out some places I have not even thought of, with impassioned reasons as to why to move there.

I would not be looking to move before September, but at the moment trying to figure out where I will move to, and also figure out how to go about actually making the move with regards to immigration and the like.

Thanks in advance for any input guys.

Man, with a job in Finance, I don't think you'll make it getting a work Visa here in the US of A!!! Only two fields are hot if you're from a foreign country:

#1 - Medicine (Nurses, Doctors, PTs, Pharmacists, etc)

#2 - IT (Web Developers/Designers, Programmers, Security Pro....) although not as hot as a few years ago.....

but, I beat if you could make Hillary Clinton win, she'll petition you!

Question though, why leave NZ? You're tired of being a Kiwi? :lol: You have a beautiful country!!! I plan to go back in the near future....I have to explore the South Island!

Good luck!

Edited by HikeUSA

#1 - Medicine (Nurses, Doctors, PTs, Pharmacists, etc)

#2 - IT (Web Developers/Designers, Programmers, Security Pro....) although not as hot as a few years ago.....

Not true. You can always drive a taxi, bus or buy a convenience store. I think it is also a prerquisite to be from a foreign country to do customer service for any large company.

You will fit right in in Miami. I hear Real Estate is cheap in Opa Locka and Liberty City.................... :lol:

Not true. You can always drive a taxi, bus or buy a convenience store. I think it is also a prerquisite to be from a foreign country to do customer service for any large company.

You will fit right in in Miami. I hear Real Estate is cheap in Opa Locka and Liberty City.................... :lol:

Try getting a Visa with that!!!!

Or you could try India and the Philippines, I heard they need Call Center operators!!! :lol:

Phaedo, I have lived in more countries than most people even visit in one lifetime. But I did so because my dad moved around from grant to grant. So I know from that experience, that FIRST you get the job, THEN you start the move to another country.

Good Point in your Favour: Emigrating at the age of 30 is perfect. It's young enough for an employer, but not so young as to be a risk.

I'm with Jfreeman here. Come to Florida.

If you move to Jacksonville, you can even get some change of season, if you're used to that. If you move to Orlando, it's got money pouring out everywhere (one of the hottest cities in the USA, for growth, for a while). If you move to South Florida, pick your poison -- it's all good, lots of sun, lots of money, lots of great attractions.

But as I said, get the job first.

Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel "Want Ads" (Situations Vacant): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/classified/jobs/

Miami Herald version: http://www.careerbuilder.com/Default.aspx?...-252770424-JO-5

Work South Florida (very touted in TV adverts): http://www.worksouthflorida.com/

Miami Craigslist (also good for finding living arrangements): http://miami.craigslist.org/

Miami Recruiter: http://www.miamirecruiter.com/

Jobs for Accountants in Miami: http://accounting.jobs.net/Florida-Miami.htm

The downside to this area, if you can call it that, is that property prices are THROUGH THE ROOF. A decent home starts at $375k. But I fancy that doesn't apply to you, and you would want a long let in a condo or sharing a home with some U of Miami co-eds (for example), instead. But other than that, South Florida (how we call Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and the Palm Beaches) is my suggestion for you.

In 1998, when I was 23, I emigrated to the USA from the UK. It was the best decision of my life.

Changing cultural realities isn't easy, but since you used to live in America, you're half-way home. And Miami makes it easier on the foreigner. There are so many of us here it's like a mini-New York.

Good luck. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

OH!

This is what you will have to look forward to, if you do move:

miamibeachrushhourgo5.jpg

baysidemarinaog3.jpg

regalcinemaszz3.jpg

miamisunsetnt5.jpg

...there's a reason Ponce de Leon was searching for the fountain of youth in Florida.

That's all well and good, but how does he get his Green Card?

Once you get a job, you go to the US Consulate/Embassy and apply for a work permit. They'll give you forms to fill out, lots..., and you will have to provide bank statements, that letter of hire from your new employer, references, etc.

A work permit (HB1/L-1) is contingent on you having that job, BUT you can apply for a Green Card later, despite that they say you cannot. My dad did...my ex-Belgian boyfriend's family did (his dad was a professor, which means he was a professional like Phaedo is, so that's relevant).

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_h1b.htm

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_l1.htm

Get yourself a good immigration attorney once you're in the USA. If Phaedo moves to South Florida, I can very easily recommend him one.

Once you get a job, you go to the US Consulate/Embassy and apply for a work permit. They'll give you forms to fill out, lots..., and you will have to provide bank statements, that letter of hire from your new employer, references, etc.

A work permit (HB1/L-1) is contingent on you having that job, BUT you can apply for a Green Card later, despite that they say you cannot. My dad did...my ex-Belgian boyfriend's family did (his dad was a professor, which means he was a professional like Phaedo is, so that's relevant).

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_h1b.htm

http://www.workpermit.com/us/us_l1.htm

Get yourself a good immigration attorney once you're in the USA. If Phaedo moves to South Florida, I can very easily recommend him one.

Getting a job permit here today is not as easy as yesterday (before 9/11)! For one thing, your new employer has to prove that he can't fill that position using local labor!!! #2: You can't work without an SS card.....try and get that and see how hard it is.....specially if it's for employment!

PS......I'm also an immigrant (just lucky to have an Irish/Spanish/American for a Dad, but I did not come from either of these countries).......and I know a lot of them (Legals and illegals!!!), believe me it's not easy, but on the other hand, this is America, everything is possible...........for a price!

Getting a job permit here today is not as easy as yesterday (before 9/11)!

That's for sure. I came just before that so the ground rules are different.

For one thing, your new employer has to prove that he can't fill that position using local labor!!! #2: You can't work without an SS card.....try and get that and see how hard it is.....specially if it's for employment!

The first part has been the case for 30 years. My father's employer (an University) simply said his research was needed, but it's not so difficult to get around that, believe me.

You can work without an SS card, but it's progressively difficult the higher the ladder you go. If you're a Mexican picking tomatoes, sure. If you're an accountant, no. Since Phaedo is an accountant...

PS......I'm also an immigrant (just lucky to have an Irish/Spanish/American for a Dad, but I did not come from either of these countries).......and I know a lot of them (Legals and illegals!!!), believe me it's not easy, but on the other hand, this is America, everything is possible...........for a price!

Yes, for a price. But there are even pro-bono attorney hotlines here.

Dade County Legal Aid Society

123 NW 1st Ave

Miami, FL 33128

(Google for Telephone)

But as in reps, gens, and anything, you get what you pay for...

@Phaedo below: Yikes. That is steep. Fortunately, that $325k will get you a bungalow, 3/2 but in a place like Kendall, a nice suburb of Miami. There are still single-room condos available for $250k in Miami Beach, but they are disappearing. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies so far everyone, the green card is going to be the biggest hurdle I think. That and deciding where to actually go. I already have a SS number, so that isn't going to be an issue, but it is the rest of the green card bit.

@ Victoria: only $375k for a house in Florida? Try here where I am, 2 bedroom apartments starting around $400k.

@hikeUSA: the reason to leave NZ is the reason so many of us leave: money. With a population of under 4 million and an infrastructure that has been aimed primarily around agriculture, there isn't much opportunity there. The cost of living is nearly as high as Sydney, yet the average wage is around half.

@jfreeman: I doubt I would be doing any of the jobs you mentioned, as I am not from one of the foreign countries where turbans are compulsory :1:

See how much I know about NZ.....but seriously.........

phaedo, I don't know how soon you plan to move and I wonder if you already have taken some computer courses or training or certification, but It would go a long way on top of your Finance background and its probably marketable anywhere you go. Most of the office type jobs in the US and probably anywhere requires this.

You could come up here to Seattle... the "we're never gonna stall" housing market has finally stalled, leveling off, but not really dropping prices. Kind of a "nobody's market." So, you can pick up a $500K house for $500K instead of $600K because half the town is trying out all the incorrect ways to invest in property..

You'll find a little bit of every place up here, and 4 seasons... mountains to climb, ocean to dive into... real forests to get lost in...

Just don't try and drag me into that whole pikelet/crumpet/muffin/scotch pancake debacle if you come to visit... I'm having whole wheat toast.

You could come up here to Seattle... the "we're never gonna stall" housing market has finally stalled, leveling off, but not really dropping prices. Kind of a "nobody's market." So, you can pick up a $500K house for $500K instead of $600K because half the town is trying out all the incorrect ways to invest in property..

That's exactly the case with South Florida. The home prices are STILL high, but at least they are not getting higher. The houses just sit on the market longer at the same ridiculous price (a nice house is around $750k which would've been $250k in the early 90s).

A lot of Miamians, who are transplants from other States already, are headed in droves to North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee. You can get mini-mansions in parts of NC for $125k (!). A friend of mine who just moved to bufu nowheresville North Carolina has a 2 storey home, on 2 acres of property which would've been possibly a million dollars in Miami. Amazing.

I only say this, Phaedo, because North Carolina is a nice State, overall. They have a stable economy, as you can see, reasonable housing, and it's got scenery to die for, which as a Kiwi you would appreciate. If you can't do Florida, give North Carolina a look-see. :)

Oh and Seattle is fantastic, I agree, POTR. It's so CLEAN. But the rain, the rain...

@POTR: Ah good to know. I hate sprinkles, however, but hey. ;)

Rain? What rain? A little bit of a sprinkle every now and then... "seen the rain come down on a sunny day?" THAT is Seattle...

I've seen less real rain here in the last 7 years than any one year I've lived anywhere else...

North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, there's where you'll see the real rain.