When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Watches Are Awesome...... But

thomasng

You don't think it's so awesome when you get a call from your AD confirming your worst fears.

Here's the story:

I was wearing my brand new Breguet Reveil du Tsar GMT/Alarm one day, when suddenly the deployment clasp popped open, and the watch came crashing to the marble floor in my apartment. It didn't look too bad, there was a major dent in the case, but everything looked fine I thought, and put it back on and continued on with my day. Then, I realized something went wrong when the alarm wasn't going off at the time I set it, at 6pm. Neither the silent or ringing alarm was working, and I sent it to the Breguet AD in Toronto a few weeks ago, they charge me $100 to send it off to Swatch Canada.

Swatch Canada told me the watch would need a servicing, and that it would be close to $2000 Canadian, because it was a "Grande Complication" line model and having a striking mechanism dramatically increases the cost of servicing. I told them to go ahead with the servicing, and send it off to Switzerland.

Today, I got a phone call from the Breguet AD in Toronto, where they told me that the problem was much bigger than they had suspected. The striking mechanism was actually damaged, and many parts would have to be replaced. There was also a crack on the side of the crystal which I didn't notice, and Swatch Canada didn't notice. I was also told that the movement would require a few more new parts because of the shock that occured to the watch during the fall. I was told that I would need to expect the repair and service to cost me somewhere in the ballpark of 4000 Swiss Francs, 4400 if I wanted the ding removed and that I would need to be without it for at least 6 months.

To add another kick in the balls, the AD asked for an extra $100 to recieve the watch back from Breguet.

$4000 just to fix a damn watch. I could buy a crap load of reps with that money. :black_eye:

You don't think it's so awesome when you get a call from your AD confirming your worst fears.

Here's the story:

I was wearing my brand new Breguet Reveil du Tsar GMT/Alarm one day, when suddenly the deployment clasp popped open, and the watch came crashing to the marble floor in my apartment. It didn't look too bad, there was a major dent in the case, but everything looked fine I thought, and put it back on and continued on with my day. Then, I realized something went wrong when the alarm wasn't going off at the time I set it, at 6pm. Neither the silent or ringing alarm was working, and I sent it to the Breguet AD in Toronto a few weeks ago, they charge me $100 to send it off to Swatch Canada.

Swatch Canada told me the watch would need a servicing, and that it would be close to $2000 Canadian, because it was a "Grande Complication" line model and having a striking mechanism dramatically increases the cost of servicing. I told them to go ahead with the servicing, and send it off to Switzerland.

Today, I got a phone call from the Breguet AD in Toronto, where they told me that the problem was much bigger than they had suspected. The striking mechanism was actually damaged, and many parts would have to be replaced. There was also a crack on the side of the crystal which I didn't notice, and Swatch Canada didn't notice. I was also told that the movement would require a few more new parts because of the shock that occured to the watch during the fall. I was told that I would need to expect the repair and service to cost me somewhere in the ballpark of 4000 Swiss Francs, 4400 if I wanted the ding removed and that I would need to be without it for at least 6 months.

To add another kick in the balls, the AD asked for an extra $100 to recieve the watch back from Breguet.

$4000 just to fix a damn watch. I could buy a crap load of reps with that money. :black_eye:

ouch!

:wounded1:

OUch doesn't even begin to cover my reaction to your story, Admin. That is fxxcking obscene!!

You pay x amount for a watch, which you said is brand new. I'd be curious to know exactly how new. But at those prices anything under two years should be fully warranted. Granted you dropped the watch, so there might be some liability on your part, but this is absurd. I think you are being fleeced and you should make a stink on the genuine boards (or threaten to make a stink on the genuine boards) to get some consideration for the way they are trying to take advantage of you.

Perhaps I am naive, but if a premium watch has been relatively well cared for, there should be a set price for service, regardless what needs to be replaced. To me this smacks of gouging.

Tell the AD that if they do not go to bat for you to bring this service price down, you will never buy from them again.

I already balked at the prospect of paying $2000 to fix a brand new watch, but I had no choice to, because I can't sell it again. I knew servicing was going to be a lot, but doubling the amount just seems absurd. Complaining at the Purists won't do anything good, because their only consolation will be "Pay it, and you will get your watch back happily" (yeah, no sh*t).

For those of you with these sorts of items on your wrist or in your home, it's a good idea to have a premium contents insurance policy that covers accidental damage. They cost a lot more, but in my case certainly paid for itself when I gashed my favourite watch against a brick wall when opening the car door...

Hate to say it Admin, but I'm certain that when Breguet charges you $21k+ change for a watch, they're banking on the fact that purchasers of such watches are ready to pay their obscene service charges, too. Kind of like the guy who purchases a Pagani Zonda- The service costs of that 7.3L V-12 ain't gonna be cheap. If you break something that requires replacing parts, it's gonna get ugly.

But I do think that $3550.00US (4400 Swiss Francs) is absurd... That's about 1/6th the price of the watch!

Admin, you're getting screwed. I thought it was obscene to be charged the $100 to send the watch to Swatch Canada. How much does it cost to send something by FedEx or DHL insured? And it wouldn't surprise me if the AD sends a few items together to cut down their shipping costs. If I spent that kind of money on the watch I would expect them to cover a few dollars of shipping costs. And then they want another $100 just to receive the watch!

BTW, could there have been a defect with the clasp? How did the watch fall off your wrist if the deployant only opened up? If there's a defect with the clasp that caused all of the problems, perhaps you can get the watch repaired under warranty.

Scream a little. Make a fuss. Unfortunately you're probably going to have to pay most of this but you might be able to knock it down at least a little.

Best of luck...

I'll wait for the Breguet AD to open tomorrow and I'll make a commotion, and dispute the charges. What happened to the clasp, is that the clasp popped open, then a springbar flew out of another section of the clasp and caused it to fall to the floor. So there is an argument for manufacturer defect I guess.

First off, how much will it cost to buy a new one?

Second, this proves my point: ALWAYS BUY REPS.

Something like US$32,000 list from an Authorized Dealer. I got mine for $21,000 through the internet.

Here's another major problem, the warranty is stamped by The HourGlass Gold Coast, Australia and the AD may not be too pleased seeing this, and may be less helpful too.

Something like US$32,000 list from an Authorized Dealer. I got mine for $21,000 through the internet.

Here's another major problem, the warranty is stamped by The HourGlass Gold Coast, Australia and the AD may not be too pleased seeing this, and may be less helpful too.

Good insurance coverage should not be too expensive, really. That is a lot of dough for a watch, but if you are in that wealth catagory, then all the more power to you.

Let us know what you decide to do on that watch. Do you have any pic's?

I'll wait for the Breguet AD to open tomorrow and I'll make a commotion, and dispute the charges. What happened to the clasp, is that the clasp popped open, then a springbar flew out of another section of the clasp and caused it to fall to the floor. So there is an argument for manufacturer defect I guess.

If this isn't a time to use the L(awyer) Word, then I don't know when that time would be. Tell them the watch broke during normal, responsible wear because of a faulty clasp, that you have witnesses who were with you when it popped off, that your're perfectly willing to pay the $200 shipping, that you absolutely hate to litigate but this is a matter of principle and they can be bet their sweet asses you will. Bet you can get the service cost back down to the already horrific 2 grand. What have you got to loose, except another 3 or 4 hundred bucks to have the best lawyer in town write a letter for you?

The accidental loss/damage policy is an absolute must, at least for your two or three most expensive watches....

I feel your pain, pardner. Best of luck.

WOW Admin. That is absurd! A company like Breguet should step up and take care of this for you. I don't care where the watch was purchased. If you had dropped it that is one thing, but a faulty clasp is an entirely different story. Keep us posted on how it turns out. I am very curious about this.

Also, do you have any insurance on your watches? That should be covered.

Note by the way, this is the asshat dealer who told me they were too busy to show me an AP Royal Oak while everyone in the store was sitting down and doing nothing. -_-

I would find a new AD. ;)

Sorry to hear about this one.

Every time I see a post saying something along the lines of "replicas are [censored], they always break, it cost me 200 bucks to get it fixed" I laugh a bit. Yes, gens are nice but they do break and when they do get ready for the real pain. Big repair/service bills and long timeframes.

Cheers,

CM

HAHAHAH must be Royale de Versailles, bunch of [censored]in' snobs. Only time I get any service there is if I'm with my mom or dad with whom one of the sales people know. I don't know her name, but I assume she's the only chinese lady in there.

I would much prefer to take my business to Solaris down on Front, and there's a new watch store opening up just downstairs from my apartment building on Bellair that I read about. Hopefully they'll carry some nice pieces and have some knowledgeable staff in comparison to RVD

Sorry to hear this.

This is the reason why I convert to reps.

I have a genuine VC dress watch, simple and without any chrono's or other fancy stuff. For a regular periodic service they will charge approx 800 -- 1000 USD plus S/H (some drops of oil is included in the charge i think), and the watch will be away for at least 8 months !

Such customer service stinks, you get far better service as an owner of a 50$ food processor.

Another example is authentificaton, for which they charge 850 CHF + VAT and S/H. If you need the value for insurance purposes, they can tell you the original list price at a charge of 150 CHF + VAT.

I simply don't find this reasonable, and I don't want to feed such companies with my money. I will never buy a genuine watch that is more expensive than I can afford to throw it away if it breaks down outside warranty.

So as you correctly say - Gen watches are awesome.......But

jens

@Admin.......like you ..I own a Breguet......until you're faced with the prospect of swallowing a complete loss on the watch by not having it repaired......you can't appreciate the sinking feeling in your stomach....I sympathise.....!

As for Breguet and the servicing / repair......I would certainly become extremely vocal with regard to the charges.....I would as suggested complain that you purchased Breguet because of it's standing in the horological marketplace....BUT ...had you known that by exercising your choice of a deployant clasp...the very purpose of which is to prevent your scenario happening....that you would be subject to an inferior quality fastening method....then you would have considered a conventional strap....or an alternative bracelet model......"I'm certain this would never have happened had I purchased a Patek".......outrageous indignation at the totally unsympathetic stance of Breguet should be your war cry.....!

The cost of spare parts and in-house servicing is minimal with all major manufacturers.....!

My advice.......do NOT speak to the monkey ( AD )......speak directly to the organ grinder......the best course of action is to find out who the CEO / MANAGING DIRECTOR is........then ascertain who is his P.A.......usually a woman.......call her..and do not be fobbed off......whoever you first speak to....DO NOT make them aware of your problem.......tell whoever asks that is a matter of importance and that you will speak to no-one but his P.A........make her aware that you know who her boss is.......but DO NOT ask to speak to him.....tell her that you know he is a very busy man.....and that you've been advised that she is the best person to help you...........in the first instance...ASK if she can help you.......once she has confirmed that she will try to help........ASK her a question........!

Question:.....Do you know what a gruntled customer is..?

She will most likely reply NO...!

Answer:.....It's the opposite of a disgruntled customer.......tell her you used to be a gruntled customer....but are rapidly moving towards being a disgruntled customer.......then in absolute terms tell her why....tell her about YOUR perception of Breguet.....elevate the company....the brand...YOUR feelings about owning "BREGUET"........then bring her down by telling her about your HORRIBLE experience at the hands of the company which you held in such high regard.......it usually brings about some degree of favourable resolution......be firm......I wish you luck......!

The high-end gen watch industry is an absolute racket. I have an acquaintance watchmaker who was trained within the industry but left to set up shop on his own.

He says company policy for all premium watches was to charge a minimum of 10% of the retail price of the watch for any work to be carried out on it. The consequences of this policy are obvious - the charge for the same work on two different value watches is based entirely on their perception of your ability to pay.

:whistling:

.....!

My advice.......do NOT speak to the monkey ( AD )......speak directly to the organ grinder......the best course of action is to find out who the CEO / MANAGING DIRECTOR is........then ascertain who is his P.A.......usually a woman.......call her..and do not be fobbed off...

Answer:.....It's the opposite of a disgruntled customer.......tell her you used to be a gruntled customer....but are rapidly moving towards being a disgruntled customer.......then in absolute terms tell her why....tell her about YOUR perception of Breguet.....elevate the company....the brand...YOUR feelings about owning "BREGUET"........then bring her down by telling her about your HORRIBLE experience at the hands of the company which you held in such high regard.......it usually brings about some degree of favourable resolution......be firm......I wish you luck......!

LOL! Characteristically well put, and certainly worth a try, but my guess is that they will be as polite yet firm with Admin as he is with them, since in the age of the Internet they probably do not want anyone squacking all over the Purists that he spoke to the CEO and got his replair bill torn up. But, hey, what have you got to loose? And if this works, and there is actually a company on earth who stands behind their workmanship and treats customers as their lifeblood outside of their ads I will happily eat these words.

If you decide to threaten legal action to hold them to their warranty, you'll have to deal with the AD since it's at least in part their responsibility to honor it (perhaps along with whatever canadian subsidiary Breguet set up to distribute their watches.)

Oh, and just because you bought the watch while on vacation in Australia :whistling: (or bought a watch w/ an open warranty card for that matter) does not mean you aren't entitled to the full protection of the warranty

@Admin.......don't be weak on this......you made a substantial purchase and deserve consideration for your investment in the company and it's product.......!

@archibald....... a little story for you...!

A few years ago ...I bought a Compaq Presario 1700 laptop......my decision was based on a number of factors...not the least of which was that a docking station was available for it......I detest cables....and connecting / disconnecting them all the time.....so I bought the Compaq and went about ordering 2x docking stations.....I bought the laptop at PC World....1700GBP....a not so trifling price.....when I subsequentlyy tried to order the docking stations...i was told that PC World don't do them.....I would have to go to a re-seller...after much tracking down of re-sellers.....I couldn't find any re-seller who could sell / order or in any way supply them....I couldn't get prices...part number confirmations....NADA.......I got fannied around from [censored] to earhole........finally in disgust....I checked out the HQ of their European operations....and ascertained who the CEO was.....a Swiss guy...his name escapes me now......I got the tel number for Switzerland......called up and found out who his PA was.....then called her back....several times before I got to speak to her.....when I did....I "characteristically" put my message across as above.....told her that I had been misled.....and that her product was of absolutely no use to me....that I would be selling it at the earliest opportunity and switching brands to HP..( this was pre HP / Compaq merger ).......disgruntled customer et al......she asked me to e-mail her the part numbers and descriptions....and asked for my tel no in Scotland at that time......less than 4 hours later she called me......and informed me that there were 2xx docking stations on the way to me.....I asked if she would like my CC details for payment.....whereupon she said it wasn't necessary.....and hoped that my faith had been re-established in Compaq.....I replied affirmatively......I type this on a new Compaq Presario laptop....this is only one of similar scenarios I've been involved with....the most expensive one I can't go into details of here on the board.....let's just say that I wrote and own a letter to a major Japanese company with over 160,000 employees worldwide and a turnover in hundreds of billions of $..............the letter is worth 23,000 pounds......the letter saved me from bankruptcy.....and a lot more......!

I suppose it all depends on your strength of character...and powers of persuasion.......characteristically speaking......BTW...would you like brown sauce and a little salt and pepper with your words.....!

Edited by TTK