When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Watches Are Awesome...... But

thomasng

I'm not sure that a warranty claim is relative in this instance.....I think this is more a case of a defective part failing....with adverse effect on the rest of the product....I had a similar situation with an RS500 Cosworth that developed a perforation in the water jacket of the engine block at only 22,000 miles.....the net effect was that the loss of coolant resulted in the engine block warping.......the dealer wanted me to fork out 4,000GBP for a new block......no way I told him......I got straight onto Ford at Dagenham.....after a lot of Mexican standoffs.....I composed a letter that I proposed sending to every British car magazine......I sent a copy by fax to Dagenham...with cc copies to Car / Autocar / Performance car etc etc.......result....new engine block......no cost.....!

@ Admin....remember you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar......legal recourse should be your last recourse......!

Edited by TTK

@Admin.......like you ..I own a Breguet......until you're faced with the prospect of swallowing a complete loss on the watch by not having it repaired......you can't appreciate the sinking feeling in your stomach....I sympathise.....!

As for Breguet and the servicing / repair......I would certainly become extremely vocal with regard to the charges.....I would as suggested complain that you purchased Breguet because of it's standing in the horological marketplace....BUT ...had you known that by exercising your choice of a deployant clasp...the very purpose of which is to prevent your scenario happening....that you would be subject to an inferior quality fastening method....then you would have considered a conventional strap....or an alternative bracelet model......"I'm certain this would never have happened had I purchased a Patek".......outrageous indignation at the totally unsympathetic stance of Breguet should be your war cry.....!

The cost of spare parts and in-house servicing is minimal with all major manufacturers.....!

My advice.......do NOT speak to the monkey ( AD )......speak directly to the organ grinder......the best course of action is to find out who the CEO / MANAGING DIRECTOR is........then ascertain who is his P.A.......usually a woman.......call her..and do not be fobbed off......whoever you first speak to....DO NOT make them aware of your problem.......tell whoever asks that is a matter of importance and that you will speak to no-one but his P.A........make her aware that you know who her boss is.......but DO NOT ask to speak to him.....tell her that you know he is a very busy man.....and that you've been advised that she is the best person to help you...........in the first instance...ASK if she can help you.......once she has confirmed that she will try to help........ASK her a question........!

Question:.....Do you know what a gruntled customer is..?

She will most likely reply NO...!

Answer:.....It's the opposite of a disgruntled customer.......tell her you used to be a gruntled customer....but are rapidly moving towards being a disgruntled customer.......then in absolute terms tell her why....tell her about YOUR perception of Breguet.....elevate the company....the brand...YOUR feelings about owning "BREGUET"........then bring her down by telling her about your HORRIBLE experience at the hands of the company which you held in such high regard.......it usually brings about some degree of favourable resolution......be firm......I wish you luck......!

This is awesome advise.. It is absolutely true that calls to the chariman's office of any large company receive a high priority. The approach you recommend with how to deal with the PA is right on.

...remember you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar......legal recourse should be your last recourse......!

This is always the key to these situations! You might as well start off nice and see if that works. If you start off mental, you've got nowhere to turn.

Must confess - I'm a bit of veteran at standing my ground. I once inadvertantly started a criminal prosecution because Sainsburys wouldn't give me my money back.... :lol: Not my fault the PF agreed with me!

I've taken shoes back too because I didn't feel they wore well - that takes some arm twisting!

My wife and I have extended homeowners insurance to cover loss or damage to many things including jewelry. We had to pay an extra premium for this but it's worth it. I agree, $4000 seems absurd but when you swim in $32,000 waters, expect to pay premium dues. When we talked my Chevy driving Dad into his BMW, he freaked when the 5000 mile service cost him $1500! "What the hell did you guys make me buy here. I can't afford this!"

Wearing a watch priced in the 5 figures screams for some insurance. I know you probably don't want to hear any "barn door after the cow's gone" lectures but something of that value should be extensively evaluated as to its' affordability and not just the purchase price.

Admin... calm down... take a breath and try making a clain on you home insurance policy.

It worked for me.

I had my Nikon SLR on a tripod... the kids were fooling around.

You know what happened next. The tripod went over, the large, expensive lens ended up punched hard into the camera body. Both lens and camera suffered extensive damage. The repair quote was in excess of £1500 - and this was about ten years ago.

Serious money.

My standard home insurance policy paid up, without a murmur.

I hope that you have similar good fortune.

Update:

I went to the AD today and made a big stink about the $100 outgoing and incoming fees. I basically told them to shove it, that the fee was absurd, considering Swatch Canada isn't too far away, and they immediately backed off from the charges both ways. I argued about them trying to rip me off, and that I would make a huge stink to all the other WIS in Toronto (Which I have already done anyways). I also decided to walk up to the salesperson who refused to show me the AP Royal Oak, with the model on my wrist and said "Nice watch, isn't it?".

Then, I decided to contact Swatch Canada by phone later today, but the offices were closed by the time I called them.

I also began filling out insurance forms this evening, it's worth a try in the end.

The story continues tomorrow...............

@TTK, much thanks for your advice on this issue, it's really important to get commentary from a fellow Breguet owner. :)

@Admin.......don't be weak on this......you made a substantial purchase and deserve consideration for your investment in the company and it's product.......!

@archibald....... a little story for you...!

BTW...would you like brown sauce and a little salt and pepper with your words.....!

Characteristically, you would put brown sauce (Mr. espagnole, to you) on your characteristicalies. Christ, I bet you have Velute with your Verbosities and no doub drizzle honey-vinegar reduction on your cliched platitudes. Just hit mine w/ a little Extra Virgin, please. BTW, probably y'all are more civilized over there, but here we tend to haul out the lawyers early. Always worked for me, particularly when dealing with the kind of scam artists that Admin is dealing w/.

@archie......!

Characteristically, you would put brown sauce (Mr. espagnole, to you) on your characteristicalies. Christ, I bet you have Velute with your Verbosities and no doub drizzle honey-vinegar reduction on your cliched platitudes. Just hit mine w/ a little Extra Virgin, please. BTW, probably y'all are more civilized over there, but here we tend to haul out the lawyers early. Always worked for me, particularly when dealing with the kind of scam artists that Admin is dealing w/.

Being surrounded by thousands of legalised scam artists in Washington DC....I'm not surprised you'd resort to legal action.......it's the first course of action for the weak and inneffective in society.......that's why the pariahs in your country are living the lifestyle they are.......and yes......I would agree with you.....we are a little more civilised over here.....!

Admin is not dealing with scam artists......he's dealing with a company....... and it's representatives hold the belief that if you can afford to spend $30,000 + on a timepiece.....then your disposable income should be quite extensive pro rata........and shouldn't baulk at a 10%+ service bill......the additional factor in Admin' case is that there is extensive damage to the watch.....hence the size of the bill........the question at point isn't whether he is being ripped off....( profit is not a dirty word......you as an American should well understand that concept)........the fact as represented is that the damage was brought about by an apparently defective springbar in the deployant clasp.......the cost of repair should be borne by Breguet....and Breguet alone.......not Admin......the mission is to persuade Breguet that their stance in this particular instance is not justifiable.....it's not about the level of their charges....which is commensurate with the charges imposed by the suppliers of almost all luxury items.......!

As an addendum.....I asked you....if you would like brown sauce........I'm Scottish.....not English......brown sauce is the preserve of choice in England....and I believe in most of the greasy spoons that you have in the US........ but if you want to be all poofy with your extra virgin .....honey vinegar drizzled......choco mocco latte [censored]......that's your pregorative......I drink my coffee straight and love the taste of food not MSG or all the [censored] that gets thrown in to overwhelm the taste buds of most Americans and their followers.... :D .!

Which leads me to the conclusion that you would prefer honey vinegar drizzle on your words........!

Edited by TTK

Admin... calm down... take a breath and try making a clain on you home insurance policy.

It worked for me.

I had my Nikon SLR on a tripod... the kids were fooling around.

You know what happened next. The tripod went over, the large, expensive lens ended up punched hard into the camera body. Both lens and camera suffered extensive damage. The repair quote was in excess of £1500 - and this was about ten years ago.

Serious money.

My standard home insurance policy paid up, without a murmur.

I hope that you have similar good fortune.

If this was your un-insured $32,000 Infinity G35 that had a supermarket parking lot fender bender that wound up costing you $4000 out of pocket, we would all be saying you were risking disaster driving without insurance. Anything of value should be protected. I hope your homeowners will help and I think that is your best shot but most insurers protect themselves from this kind of jewelry claim unless you have opted for specific coverage . I hope raising cain gets you somewhere with the watch company but like a non-running Infinity, they will probably take the attitude that your watch has a significant value even though it is not running and choosing not to repair it is a choice you are making, not a choice the market price for repair is forcing you to make.

Just seeing if your paying attention....scrutinising my every word...I'm perfectly capable of spelling 'misspelling'......!

I bend and break springbars all the time.