When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are used watches really worth it?

chris5264

Admittedly I've had no experience (with watches anyway) but in the case of reps I would prefer a used one to a new one:

1) It has actually been seen by the person selling it (not dropshipped)

2) It has already been through Customs

3) Chance of faster shipping

4) Might be a bit scratched, but I will probably scratch it worse as I intend to wear it, so at least I won't obsess about it if its pre-scratched

5) Cheaper

6) Modded?

7) Recycling is good for you

I have had both great and not great experiences - on the great side I have purchased at fair prices off the new price an AP Wempe diver that still runs great, a Breitling BCE in gold that still is running great also. On the not so great side I purchased an Omega PO chrono that cashed it in within the first week that I had it... this was not the sellers fault but just my bad luck. The one that stands out as a really bad experience that I can now laugh about was a rose gold Rolex Daydate I bought from a chap on another forum. He represented the watch to be mint to have been only worn 10 times but I think the 10 was a typo and should have read 10k times. The bracelet was filthy and tarnished so bad I discarded it. I think he wore it to work in a coal mine. The bezel and crystal were half off the watch and fell off in my hand. The dial had scratches from a hand removing tool and the day function would not quick set nor line up straight. Finally, the back of the case looked like someone used a pipewrench to unscrew it. I still have this thing in pieces if anybody is interested. ;):D To sum it up ... some good ... some bad. Certain sellers are class people and others not so ... be careful in the used rep world.

I got a rep TAG formula I a while back and ended up wearing it as an everyday screw around in watch. I got it used off this forum. It died after about a year and I cracked the back to see if it could be fixed; all of seven jewels,,,,,,,, not worth it. I tried our dealers trying to find a replacement,,,,,,,, no luck. The joke is I liked the rep so much I ended up buying the real thing just to replace the Rep :D Some watches just feel good when you wear them.

Admittedly I've had no experience (with watches anyway) but in the case of reps I would prefer a used one to a new one:

4) Might be a bit scratched, but I will probably scratch it worse as I intend to wear it, so at least I won't obsess about it if its pre-scratched

5) Cheaper

6) Modded?

7) Recycling is good for you

ironically,,,with reps,,,there isn't much of a mark down for used, probably because of the things you mention. And I'm totally into recycling since I don't keep a watch very long but it needs to be listed as it is. The one I'm talking about was listed as 90% with only a few minor scratches on the bracelet. When I got it, it looked like someone tried to make it vintage.

Some watches just feel good when you wear them.

True,,I always go by a feelling when it comes to keeping a watch, I don't think you'll ever see my Doxa up for sale.

Here's another funny response. You buy a watch, something goes wrong and the person would like to do a refund, but already spent the money in their paypal account. Sorry.

I think people probably get a great deal buying a rep from me from as a member...

I buy most of my reps from other members. Most of these reps recently have come to me with unadvertised problems that the sellers were aware of, but chose not to mention in their sales listing because it would effect the sale-ability of the watch.

So then I am in the position of either having to fix or fully disclose upon my own sale of the watch, the problems that were not communicated when I purchased. Honestly- the last three or four watches I've bought have fallen into this category- with the exception of the modded rollies.

That's part of why I'm narrowing down my collection and trying to get out of the hobby, in terms of the buying-and-selling aspect of trying new watches. I'll still be a watch enthusiast here, just not one who is doing a lot of transacting, as this is a shady world in terms of some of the stuff that goes on with these reps.

If I buy more watches in the future, it will be from members here that I trust.

When I first posted this,,,I thought the whole situation was kind of funny, now I'm actually not so amused. While he would like to do a refund he spent the money on bills already. If I ever really do buy a used watch again,,,I will do a serious reference check and I will make sure the person is in a reasonable financial situation. Now I have to deal with 1) is this person really this poor or 2) am I just being scammed?

I've purchased one used watch, a 2 year old Chinese Tourbillon. The timepiece was not working, but the seller had it completely overhauled, and I got a great deal. The entire transaction was excellent and I couldn't have been happier.

I believe that because reps are such risky business in terms of quality, it is much better to purchase only a second-hand rep that has had its movement examined and adjusted by a trained professional, and has no history of malfunctions.

Funniest experience I have had with a used watch ( and have bought hundreds), was a Seiko that a guy shipped to me here in Oz, but he decided to save on postage, wrap it in some bubblewrap, and send it letter mail.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but here, anything sent in letter form, gets a ride through "processing" machinery.

It arrived..."disassembled".... and no amount of refurb, new crystal or nay, was ever going to get the poor b*stard up and running again.

Simple cost cutting error, the seller admitted his mistake, and refunded all costs!

Can I interest anyone in a 1mm thick Seiko? :rolleyes:

Offshore

I have something more than 400 vintage Gen watches purchased "used"... I have one Rep purchased "used"... I rarely have any issues.

wow,,nice to hear these stories too,,,overall, I've had pretty good luck with used too,,it's just the silly stuff that seems to stand out in memory.

Funniest experience I have had with a used watch ( and have bought hundreds), was a Seiko that a guy shipped to me here in Oz, but he decided to save on postage, wrap it in some bubblewrap, and send it letter mail.

Don't know about the rest of the world, but here, anything sent in letter form, gets a ride through "processing" machinery.

It arrived..."disassembled".... and no amount of refurb, new crystal or nay, was ever going to get the poor b*stard up and running again.

Simple cost cutting error, the seller admitted his mistake, and refunded all costs!

Offshore

Now that is just what I was looking for,,,classic! Save a little and end up having to replace the watch,,at least this person was decent enought to replace it. The best I'm going to get is a small refund that will not even cover replacing the crystal.

Offshore

:lol::D:lol: That story made my morning. I can see the Chaplinesque scene in my mind.

When I first posted this,,,I thought the whole situation was kind of funny, now I'm actually not so amused. While he would like to do a refund he spent the money on bills already. If I ever really do buy a used watch again,,,I will do a serious reference check and I will make sure the person is in a reasonable financial situation. Now I have to deal with 1) is this person really this poor or 2) am I just being scammed?

If he was sincere about compensating you, he could send you the money a little over time.

If he was sincere about compensating you, he could send you the money a little over time.

funny how these things turn out,,,ends up the guy actually seems broke so I'm trying to give him a break. One thing that does seem very true,,when you buy new or used,,you buy the person selling,,,at least when things go wrong....jelly and all.