When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Aquatimer

k2222

i like brushed finished much better than polished, but like i said this brushed case is not done right, polishing is easy job for any jeweller and probably not very expensive, Slevin look like it is just cuted from the metal piece without any proper work on the sides, i'm going to make my watch like this:

post-2322-1200849530_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brush finish is exactly the same as the "new" gen model.

The question IS, if some don't like the brush "style" on these watch, they can go to MOD the case to polish side (and it's easy). Even way, the decision will be right, it's only a question of taste. For the first time, we can MOD or not, and it will be like the old gen style or new gen style ... that's pretty cool :yu:

For my part, I will MOD the watch side (to polish side), to give another life to the watch only when the brush side will be too scratchy.

do anybody know how the pusher at '2' work on a gen? is the whole thing going down like on a rep. to the case or just a top part? BTW Chiefs pic showing also that the rep.clasp(pic below) is different finish than a gen, same thing as Ingys. good find!

Edit: If anybody interested in buying gen clasp, it is 400Euro, just checked :lol: :lol: :lol:

post-2322-1200876171_thumb.jpg

I own a gen AT I bought 2 years ago. it is brushed.

Two years look a bit long time to me to be already the latest version...

Maybe it's the opposite and the latest has polished sides.

On the pic Chiefs attached, the serial # is higher than the one on the rep

Gen : 3156527 (polished sides)

Rep: 3111388 (brushed sides)

But to know how the story is, we should see the serial of a gen with brushed sides....

The polished sides is an interesting development as prior to this year no SS models had polished sides to my knowledge - not 3717, BP, Aquatimer. Then again last year was the one when IWC introduced 6 new models with larger cases and different finishes as evidenced by the top gun with larger ceramic case so if it were ever going to happen it would be now. IMHO, I would leave it brushed. I have seen a half dozen gens over the last couple of years and they all had brushed sides. That is one of the few details you can notice from a quick glance on the wrist. :lol:

The polished sides is an interesting development as prior to this year no SS models had polished sides to my knowledge - not 3717, BP, Aquatimer. Then again last year was the one when IWC introduced 6 new models with larger cases and different finishes as evidenced by the top gun with larger ceramic case so if it were ever going to happen it would be now. IMHO, I would leave it brushed. I have seen a half dozen gens over the last couple of years and they all had brushed sides. That is one of the few details you can notice from a quick glance on the wrist. :lol:

Kruz,

by your words it seams that the only reason why we are seeing some gen pics around with polished sides, is because this is the latest 2007 version..., is it right?

I'm also not so sure I would like it more with polished sides, but at least on the rep, the brushed finish on the sides doesn't look fantastic..., don't you agree?

Lello-

I don't know what the answer is. What I do know is that I see gen IWC's all the time and prior to the pics above I had never seen polished sides on any of the Pilots or Aquatimers. On the brushed finish on the rep it certainly is not near genuine but is better than many reps. I don't own the Slevin but do have the 2006 CD. IMHO, the brushing is fairly good on that one.

On most reps if you are determined to make them as accurate as possible you will need to rebrush the brushed areas. The tricky part is that different genuine manufacturers use different methodologies and so you need to look closely at the brushing technique on a gen before doing it yourself on your rep or you end up with "too heavy" or "wrong direction" brushing. :lol:

Lello-

I don't know what the answer is. What I do know is that I see gen IWC's all the time and prior to the pics above I had never seen polished sides on any of the Pilots or Aquatimers. On the brushed finish on the rep it certainly is not near genuine but is better than many reps. I don't own the Slevin but do have the 2006 CD. IMHO, the brushing is fairly good on that one.

On most reps if you are determined to make them as accurate as possible you will need to rebrush the brushed areas. The tricky part is that different genuine manufacturers use different methodologies and so you need to look closely at the brushing technique on a gen before doing it yourself on your rep or you end up with "too heavy" or "wrong direction" brushing. :lol:

...good advise....

I will need to buy a gen, to copy the brushing..., then if i will re sell it, I might waste just a few hundreds of Euros... :ph34r:

Kruz,

by your words it seams that the only reason why we are seeing some gen pics around with polished sides, is because this is the latest 2007 version..., is it right?

I'm also not so sure I would like it more with polished sides, but at least on the rep, the brushed finish on the sides doesn't look fantastic..., don't you agree?

if you find the brushed finish not look fantastic on rep, you will be disapointed too when you will see the gen too ;) I visit an AD this week-end, and the non-chrono has the brushed finish...it's not better, same up/down brushing style. It'a a like/hate brush style.

:lol: Actually, I had something a little less expensive in mind. Walk into any AD and look at any of those Aquatimer SS cases. They are all brushed the same way. ;)

Yes, but out of joke, to make it really 1:1, you would really need it side by side.

Not to mention if you want your jeweller doing it for you.

Personally I think I will leave it as it is, or I will make sides polished...

..., can you imagine going every day to compare your case to the one behind the AD shop window, until you get it right? :lol:

ok. the version i seen at AD today, was : Polished sides and guess what??? Clasp finish is the same as we used to see at Ingy and the same as makers made for us, bezel click, feel, finished and quality 100% the same.

Thanks for the extra info !!

What a team work :gathering: ...

With all these input of each other, now we go somewhere.