When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

North Pole 252 / Blue Dial

lanikai

I could not find another post .. so ,... any thought's on the North Pole 252 North Pole w/correct Blue dial ?

the Blue dials seem to be the hardest to replicate.. :rolleyes: Joshua's Pic:

post-2172-1200876928_thumb.jpg post-2172-1200879105_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1200879136_thumb.jpg post-2172-1200879230_thumb.jpg

edit.. going to take a look at the genuine .. this replication looks good though . the markers seem to be inlayed and not just glued on.. L swiss seems correct ... be back..

It will be really hard to tell from pics with different lighting and such but seems to me the main problem with all the 252 reps is the blue color being off. Comparing Josh's to pics of gens it seems that his is too light of a blue. I have been after this one for for a long time but can never find a decent rep of it.

I am not sure if it is just the lighting in the rep photos but it looks as if the running seconds dial is flush with the rest of the dial. If you look at the gen the seconds dial is a bit recessed.

217601.gif

Edited by jdkno

It will be really hard to tell from pics with different lighting and such but seems to me the main problem with all the 252 reps is the blue color being off. Comparing Josh's to pics of gens it seems that his is too light of a blue. I have been after this one for for a long time but can never find a decent rep of it.

I am not sure if it is just the lighting in the rep photos but it looks as if the running seconds dial is flush with the rest of the dial. If you look at the gen the seconds dial is a bit recessed.

217601.gif

Well,.. the only way to be sure is to have a replication in hand which will happen at the ending of this week hopefully as the Hliday in the US will not affect China EMS... lookedat a genuine yestersday.. Joshua's pics does appear to have the running seconds does appear to be recessed but we'll have to await the arrival of the Rep. ...

As far as the dial colour ,.. again the Rep, will tell all in person... these like most collectors pics are colour enhanced etc. so it's alway's hard to really define the true colour..

I do have hopes as this is the same maker as the HBB ; Aquatimer ....

this Sub is not from the makers who were doing the replications of the Submersibles last year which were in part kind of dissapointing,... the makers of the HBB .... IMO.. are coming out with some exellent replications .. so with that said i hopr this sumersible holds up to their standards.. if it does then we can expect something very different than what we saw last year..

Well,.. the only way to be sure is to have a replication in hand which will happen at the ending of this week hopefully as the Hliday in the US will not affect China EMS... lookedat a genuine yestersday.. Joshua's pics does appear to have the running seconds does appear to be recessed but we'll have to await the arrival of the Rep. ...

As far as the dial colour ,.. again the Rep, will tell all in person... these like most collectors pics are colour enhanced etc. so it's alway's hard to really define the true colour..

I do have hopes as this is the same maker as the HBB ; Aquatimer ....

this Sub is not from the makers who were doing the replications of the Submersibles last year which were in part kind of dissapointing,... the makers of the HBB .... IMO.. are coming out with some exellent replications .. so with that said i hopr this sumersible holds up to their standards.. if it does then we can expect something very different than what we saw last year..

I guess I missed something. I knew that Angus was working on an "ultimate" rep of this, but I thought that never came to fruition. Are you saying there is a new "ultimate" model in the works?

If so, that is great news, indeed.

I guess I missed something. I knew that Angus was working on an "ultimate" rep of this, but I thought that never came to fruition. Are you saying there is a new "ultimate" model in the works?

If so, that is great news, indeed.

Yes .. it's release has been very "low key", as I stated, this is by the makers of the HBB and other very good replications .. not by the makers of the submersibles that came out last year ... we will judge for ourselves as to it being the "ultimate" (is there such a thing) :lol:

the 252 .. latest version and hopefully the last is on its way to Hawaii .. in about 4 day's we will see what we will see... I am curious to see if the makers have done a better job with the date font and the rest of the 252 than the makers of the 092 did..

Until then .. we: "Hurry up and wait"

This is very good news. I've added gens to the collection, passing up on many of these new watches because ultimately the flaws have been just too obvious. But this one has potential, I think, and I may be tempted to add one. Until then, I'm very excited to see what you've got to say.

Thanks for the information

This is very good news. I've added gens to the collection, passing up on many of these new watches because ultimately the flaws have been just too obvious. But this one has potential, I think, and I may be tempted to add one. Until then, I'm very excited to see what you've got to say.

Thanks for the information

the Panerai members on the forum have far more technical knowledge than myself, but a piciture say's a thousand words and to compare this 252 with the genuine.. so any members with multiple shots of the genuine 252 (jdkno) and others your pics could be of great use..

I have taken pics of my friends Genuine 252 .. but gave my word I would not post them on "any" forum.. i can use it for my own comparison and that's it..

it should arrive here on thursday or friday at the latest..

This is an excellent question and not an easy one to answer unless you are looking at rep to gen in person. Black is black and it is rather easy to replicate, however there are an infinite number of shades in blue and photographs cannot capture the blues perfectly.

I have seen a gen 252 and it is a great looking Pam, but have not seen a rep yet and would like one, but wondered the same thing myself.

Please see my review here of the latest, most accurate PAM252.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=65722

The watch has the correct recessed sub-second dial, correct cobalt blue dial color and a more correct GMT hand. This version is a stunner in person, especially when used with a metal band.

Regards,

HammerTime

Edited by HammerTime

This is an excellent question and not an easy one to answer unless you are looking at rep to gen in person. Black is black and it is rather easy to replicate, however there are an infinite number of shades in blue and photographs cannot capture the blues perfectly.

I have seen a gen 252 and it is a great looking Pam, but have not seen a rep yet and would like one, but wondered the same thing myself.

the next best thing is to view the genuine and the rep side by side.. which i did.. but again, the lighting could be off on one side and variables play into the pic... soooo

we shall see.. i'll hold my comments on what I thought of the comparison until mine arrives..

@Hammertime.. yes your observations are shared.. but your obsession with the metal band is intriguing :lol: ... i like both and the right leather strap really adds contrast and style IMHO

Edit: The hands can alway's be modded it's the dial and case back that we are really concerned with, no ????

@Lanikai...Yeah I likes my metal! Especially on the subs. :) although I agree with you about the RIGHT leather strap.

Really, Its not that I don't like leather bands, its the proliferation and constant strap changing that baffles me. I do have leather straps on my PAM127, PAM177H and PAM253. But I only have one or two straps per watch (not 12 or more like many others). A basic black strap with or without white stitching, black or dark brown Gator/Croc. and a burgundy or medium tan cover all my needs.

Anyway back to the subject of the thread. According to my sources in Asia, correcting the hands is NOT as simple as it would appear. It would require a new hand set and surgery to the cannon pinion.

Hammertime

Edited by HammerTime

@takashi

Previous PAM252s as well as most other PAM GMTs had the wrong GMT hand. It is WAY to big. See my review above and compare the "Other PAM Rep" with the genuine PAM252. The hour and minute hands on the Rep seem OK.

HammerTime

Edited by HammerTime

@Lanikai...Yeah I likes my metal! Especially on the subs. :) although I agree with you about the RIGHT leather strap.

Really, Its not that I don't like leather bands, its the proliferation and constant strap changing that baffles me. I do have leather straps on my PAM127, PAM177H and PAM253. But I only have one or two straps per watch (not 12 or more like many others). A basic black strap with or without white stitching, black or dark brown Gator/Croc. and a burgundy or medium tan cover all my needs.

Anyway back to the subject of the thread. According to my sources in Asia, correcting the hands is NOT as simple as it would appear. It would require a new hand set and surgery to the cannon pinion.

Hammertime

I have basically 1 strap I like on a given Panerai rep..if i was limited to one choice it would have to be gator.. maybe there are those who cannot make up their minds... :lol:

and now to the topic at hand.. well, i wasn't taking about "new hands' i was talking more of colour given the hands are correct ... and if correcting the colour is the problem,... then I don't really see a permanant problem.. as we do have the best ...Horologist/Modder

I honestly don't know if this is by the same maker as the rep you have.. so we shall see..

@Lanikai,

I believe mine as well as the one pictured on Josh's site has GLUED markers. I don't even think the GEN's markers are inlaid, but I'm not sure if the GEN's are glued either.

I know because there is picture of Mike Horn's actual Arktos floating around one of the forums. In that photo, a couple of the markers had come off during his expedition and it looked like they were glued on, but I don't know for sure.

Submersible PAM187s are notorious for bezel markers coming adrift. I believe the markers on the 187 are a PRESS fit. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.

HammerTime

I believe the markers on the submersible genuine may have some kind of srew insert (??) thought i read that on this form and I think Honpo may have inlays for some models .. anyway the dial coming I think came out after yours.. but it would be funny if they were the same..

Another thing I was wondering about is the CG in Josh's pics it looks like it does not conform to the shape of the case all that well(look at the ends you can see the gap). I know one of the mainstay problems with the PAM reps is the CG's if you were to file down the rep CG to make it fit tight to the case would this make it more true to gen or is the gen CG that much different than the rep?

Next thing is the cannon pin, not sure if it applies to this model but it seems that the cannon pin sits higher than the hands, to get closer to gen would that need to be filed and polished to sit flush with the top of the hand stack.

This is the one PAM model I have been wanting and am willing to live with a few flaws provided the main noticable things can be fixed. I could see that gap on the CG from a distance and the not flush cannon pin at a glance, however unless comparing a gen to rep side by side only a die hard Panerai fan would notice a slight difference in font thickness and even a minor difference in dial color for that matter.

Can't wait to see lani's pics and a review based on comparing his rep with the photos he has of the gen.

sorry for the delay.. i will get pics up tommorrow .. lighting is very bad today.. rain .. overcast.. as i like to use natual light.. the 252 arrive yesterday.. so Sunday i will attempt to get pics and short words on it up..

Lani

refer to this....pics and summary

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=66547